Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Trying this again ... Information ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    came here expecting mature, intelligent input... something I could use to enhance my work.
    Intelligent input, pretty much by definition, requires some understanding of your work. You've been unwilling to help anybody understand it, as far as i can see, so you've gotten nothing.

Put differently: to get something out, you've got to put something in.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

"Bullying"? You truly are a PIG, aren't you -- very appropriate name you've given yourself.
      No, piggy, I just can't stand the extreme level of dishonesty that Beagle Boy constantly displays.
      Try any harder and you'll be competing with him. Is that your goal?

By the way, do you have anything worthwhile to contribute here?
      Or do you come out of your sty just to fling insults and mud?

Jorge
      Looks like you've got a terminal case of projection here. You might want to get that checked out.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
        Intelligent input, pretty much by definition, requires some understanding of your work. You've been unwilling to help anybody understand it, as far as i can see, so you've gotten nothing.

Or GIGO (Garbage In; Garbage Out)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by TheLurch View Post

Yeah, I get it - typical liberal dishonesty ............ Spelling it out ...
          When cornered or when all else fails, point the finger at the OTHER guy!!!

Good job, Lurch! Take your well-earned bow.

I asked for questions on information / information theory.
          Nothing was required unless you got nothing in the old skull.
          Stop trying to fabricate excuses, Lurch; assume responsibility for once.

Jorge
          Last edited by Jorge; 07-10-2017, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Looks like you've got a terminal case of projection here. You might want to get that checked out.
            Here piggy-piggy-piggy ......... here ya go!

Jorge

Comment

Here piggy-piggy-piggy ......... here ya go!

Jorge
              You 'n' Tiggy are like peas in a pod.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Bah, humbug! This thread was a bust!
                I came here expecting mature, intelligent input... something I could use to enhance my work.
                With but one or two exceptions, I got the usual TWebber childish, idiotic nonsense.
                Let that be a lesson to me!

Jorge
                You have gotten some mature input, but reacted to it immaturely. And the fact is, you rarely provide mature input or output, and so you simply reap what you sow.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Yeah, I get it - typical liberal dishonesty ............ Spelling it out ...
                  When cornered or when all else fails, point the finger at the OTHER guy!!!

Good job, Lurch! Take your well-earned bow.

I asked for questions on information / information theory.
                  Nothing was required unless you got nothing in the old skull.
                  Stop trying to fabricate excuses, Lurch; assume responsibility for once.

Jorge
                  You asked for questions in an empty context and set yourself as the source of answers. For you to have gotten anything meaningful, you would have needed to provide a context like, say, some summary of your heretofore yet unrevealed contributions to the field, or shown some sort of amicable or humble purpose associated with the request.

Jim
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• I came here expecting mature, intelligent input... something I could use to enhance my work.
                    You've already said you're not here to discuss, but just to 'rattle the cages'. You've posted zero parts of your work. You've done nothing but insult people here with inanities, and then act offended when people respond in kind.

You're either outright lying, or completely delusional.
                    Last edited by Leonhard; 07-10-2017, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• On returning to TWeb after a long break, I thought I might try to get this thread somewhat back on track. In the OP Jorge asked:

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                      Do you have any questions on the general subject of 'information'?
                      Specific questions?
                      I do have questions about Dembski's Complex Specified information: CSI. I understand 'Complex' -- more than 500 bits. I understand 'Information' -- Dembski seems to mostly use a probability measure based on Shannon. It is the 'Specified' part I have an issue with.

Consider the text string: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, ..." comprising the full text of Dickens' 'A Tale of Two Cities'. It is Information and it is Complex, including the whole novel. But is it Specified?

If I use the specification: "The text of a Dickens novel" then the text string meets the specification and it is CSI. If I use a different specification: "The text of a Shakespeare play" then the same text string does not meet the specification and so contains zero CSI. By changing the specification I can change the value of CSI present in the text string between some positive value and zero, depending on whether or not the text string meets the specification. The text string does not change, only the specification.

This gives me three questions:
                      Q1: How do I objectively, not subjectively, decide what is, and what is not, a valid specification?

Q2: How do I avoid the 'Texas sharpshooter' problem and avoid painting the target/specification round where the bullet hit?

Q3: How does Dembski's 'Conservation of Information' claim sit with the fact that CSI can be either created or destroyed simply by changing the specification?

rossum

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        You 'n' Tiggy are like peas in a pod.
                        Hmmm ... lessee ... Tiggy rhymes with Piggy, right? Yeah, that's right!
                        You have far, FAR more in common with Tiggy and it's not just because your names rhyme.

Jorge

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          You have gotten some mature input, but reacted to it immaturely. And the fact is, you rarely provide mature input or output, and so you simply reap what you sow.

Jim
                          B-A-L-O-N-E-Y !!!

I'm not even going to bother looking before asserting that any mature, serious,
                          respectful input I received was answered in like manner. Your dishonesty
                          continues as usual, O-Mudd.

Jorge

Comment

• Originally posted by rossum View Post
                            On returning to TWeb after a long break, I thought I might try to get this thread somewhat back on track. In the OP Jorge asked:

I do have questions about Dembski's Complex Specified information: CSI. I understand 'Complex' -- more than 500 bits. I understand 'Information' -- Dembski seems to mostly use a probability measure based on Shannon. It is the 'Specified' part I have an issue with.

Consider the text string: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, ..." comprising the full text of Dickens' 'A Tale of Two Cities'. It is Information and it is Complex, including the whole novel. But is it Specified?

If I use the specification: "The text of a Dickens novel" then the text string meets the specification and it is CSI. If I use a different specification: "The text of a Shakespeare play" then the same text string does not meet the specification and so contains zero CSI. By changing the specification I can change the value of CSI present in the text string between some positive value and zero, depending on whether or not the text string meets the specification. The text string does not change, only the specification.

Q1: How do I objectively, not subjectively, decide what is, and what is not, a valid specification?

Q2: How do I avoid the 'Texas sharpshooter' problem and avoid painting the target/specification round where the bullet hit?

Q3: How does Dembski's 'Conservation of Information' claim sit with the fact that CSI can be either created or destroyed simply by changing the specification?

rossum
                            Finally - Hallelujah - a worthwhile post!!!

I'll ignore the Clintonites on TWeb and address your questions, rossum .............

Yes, that is pretty much what Dembski does.

It is indeed specified by definition of what "specified" means. Dembski's book No Free Lunch is an excellent source for a detailed (and lengthy) presentation/discussion of why that is the case.

I mostly agree with you - certainly on the essential part.

ANSWERS:

1. Without going into my own work, Dembski addresses the problem of false negatives (and positives) and acknowledges that these may occur. What you ask here is essentially about the problem of false negatives. This doesn't destroy his theory.

I developed what I did (my theory) in part to overcome difficulties such as these. In my work information is present in all cases, it's the manifestation of the information that varies. CSI is just a special case of my 'information'.

2. Short answer: by making certain of not crossing the boundary between a specification and a fabrication. The details of this may be simple or quite elaborate depending on the situation.

3. Answered in 1. False negatives (failure to detect) are acknowledged. However, when CSI is detected then CSI Conservation holds every time. Going on memory, Dembski discusses this in No Free Lunch. Again, this doesn't destroy his theory, it is just a limitation. My own work doesn't encounter this problem.

Jorge

Comment

ANSWERS:

1. Without going into my own work, Dembski addresses the problem of false negatives (and positives) and acknowledges that these may occur. What you ask here is essentially about the problem of false negatives. This doesn't destroy his theory.
                              IIRC Dembski agreed that there could be false negatives -- a Jackson Pollock painting perhaps. I am not sure that Dembski agreed that there could be false positives. Do you have a reference for Dembski saying this?

2. Short answer: by making certain of not crossing the boundary between a specification and a fabrication. The details of this may be simple or quite elaborate depending on the situation.
                              Do you have objective definitions of a 'specification' and 'fabrication' that will work in most (or ideally all) circumstances? Giving a few example is useful, but there needs to be something with a wider applicability. As I showed, the calculated CSI value can change drastically if the specification is changed. Hence the difference between a specification and a fabrication is crucial.

3. Answered in 1. False negatives (failure to detect) are acknowledged. However, when CSI is detected then CSI Conservation holds every time. Going on memory, Dembski discusses this in No Free Lunch. Again, this doesn't destroy his theory, it is just a limitation. My own work doesn't encounter this problem.
                              Your second sentence seems to contradict your "false ... positives" from answer 1. If CSI is supposedly detected in a false positive, then it seems to me that CSI conservation might not hold. Dembski's argument on conservation requires design, whereas a false positive would not actually be an example of design. That is why it is a false positive.

rossum

Comment

Hmmm ... lessee ... Tiggy rhymes with Piggy, right? Yeah, that's right!
                                You have far, FAR more in common with Tiggy and it's not just because your names rhyme.

Jorge
                                Still doing a bang-up job of projection, I see.
                                sigpic

Comment