Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Extensive fossil evidence for transition to land animals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extensive fossil evidence for transition to land animals.

A number of different species of different sizes have been found for filling the gap for transitional animals between amphibians and land animals to resolve the problem called Romer's Gap.

Source: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v418/n6893/full/nature00824.html

by J. A. Clack

University Museum of Zoology, Cambridge, Downing St., Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK Correspondence and requests for materials should be addressed to the author (e-mail: Email: [email protected]

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-08-2016, 07:35 PM.

Interesting

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      A number of different species of different sizes have been found for filling the gap for transitional animals between amphibians and land animals to resolve the problem called Romer's Gap.

by J. A. Clack

University Museum of Zoology, Cambridge, Downing St., Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK Correspondence and requests for materials should be addressed to the author (e-mail: Email: [email protected]

Do you realize that paper is from 2002, almost 15 years old, and predates finds like Tiktaalik?

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
        Do you realize that paper is from 2002, almost 15 years old, and predates finds like Tiktaalik?
        The original article was a more recent layman science article that covered the related fossils discovered since. I referred to this article in Nature referenced in the original article, because it gave a good scientific explanation of the discoveries of the fossils over the past 15 years related to these discoveries of transition fossils between amphibians and land animals.

When possible I will cite the best possible scientific article related to the layman's article in the news.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-10-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

The original article was a more recent layman science article that covered the related fossils discovered since.
          What original article?

Comment

Source: http://www.earthmagazine.org/article/closing-gap-tetrapod-fossil-record

Closing a gap in the tetrapod fossil record

Comment

Another more recent better article.

Source: http://www.earthmagazine.org/article/closing-gap-tetrapod-fossil-record

A Diverse Tetrapod Fauna at the Base of 'Romer's Gap'

Comment

Another more recent better article.
                OK but why didn't you post that to start with, and why did you post it twice now? Those senior moments happening more and more frequently are a pain, aren't they?

ETA: here's the whole paper cited by the article

These are some pretty neat finds for sure.
                Last edited by HMS_Beagle; 12-10-2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                  OK but why didn't you post that to start with, and why did you post it twice now? Those senior moments happening more and more frequently are a pain, aren't they?
                  The layman's article was not that good and I do not like to post layman's articles when Nature and PLOS are better. No problem with what is posted. If you have other articles please post them.

ETA: here's the whole paper cited by the article

The extensive fossil evidence recently discovered filling Romer's Gap is the most important discoveries in the past 20 years. Recent discoveries in primate fossils of our ancestors is the other.
                  Last edited by shunyadragon; 12-10-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

by J. A. Clack

Have you heard of circulus vitiosus in probando?

The places (implicitly) labelled Devonian and Carboniferous here are so labelled because Devonian and Carboniferous fossils are found in them.

The fossils labelled Devonian and Carboniferous are so labelled because found in Devonian and Carboniferous places.

http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
                      Have you heard of circulus vitiosus in probando?

The places (implicitly) labelled Devonian and Carboniferous here are so labelled because Devonian and Carboniferous fossils are found in them.

The fossils labelled Devonian and Carboniferous are so labelled because found in Devonian and Carboniferous places.
                      Are you familiar with absolute dating techniques that physicists developed quite awhile back?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Are you familiar with absolute dating techniques that physicists developed quite awhile back?
                        I have heard a few things about these, yes.

* Ka-Ar is totally unreliable with young samples (and on a YEC view all are).
                        * U-Pb and Th-Pb are unreliable as to excluding any Pb was along all the time + at least with U, decay rate can have been shortened due to radioactivity.
                        * Isochron dating, I really just rely on what CMI says, it is a bit over my head.
                        * A universe 13.5 or 13.7 billion light years in radius ultimately depends on trigonometry being applied on ... so called "annual stellar parallax".

A thing which a geocentric need not accept:

geo.jpg

I have also heard, most finds are dated by one or two, and in cases of conflict, which occur, it is often the date least likely to disagree with the general theory of evolution which is accepted, the other one silently discarded.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          More to the point here:

No reference to any dating technique beyond biostratigraphy being used.

The section methods only discusses methods of phylogenetic inclusion, not method of dating used at Inverclyde Group of Ballagan Formation or Auchenreoch Glen.

But why don't you ask [email protected] what dating methods he used?

Comment

More to the point here:

No reference to any dating technique beyond biostratigraphy being used.

The section methods only discusses methods of phylogenetic inclusion, not method of dating used at Inverclyde Group of Ballagan Formation or Auchenreoch Glen.

But why don't you ask [email protected] what dating methods he used?
                            Jenny Clack is a woman.

Comment

I have heard a few things about these, yes.
                              * Isochron dating, I really just rely on what CMI says, it is a bit over my head.
                              So that's a "no", then. You are unfamiliar with the absolute dating techniques used.

I hope you won't object if those of us who do understand them ignore anything you have to say an the topic (other than as a source of amusement).
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment