Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Play and Intelligence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play and Intelligence

Mammals like to play. Some birds like to play. Do reptiles like to play with toys? How intellegent does an animal have to be to enjoy enrichment(aka playing with toys and puzzles)? A civil discussion please! NO DEBATING!!!!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Reptiles do seem to engage in play:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-behavior-fun/

A couple of thoughts on the original question as phrased:

Intelligence isn't a single-dimensional thing. The obvious example is dogs. When you test them on things that we'd consider general intelligence, chimps absolute crush dogs. When it comes to the ability to interpret humans, however, dogs are much, much better than chimps (as you might expect, given what we've selected them for). So, you have to be careful, because we don't know what aspects of intelligence are involved in play. I don't think at least; it may be that it's been looked at, but i'm not aware of the work.

The other thing is that play, to a certain extent, involves an internal state of mind. We try to infer it based on external gestures, but we don't really know how to do any inferring about organisms with brains that are very distantly related to ours. Or body plans, for that matter. What would "play" look like to something like an octopus or millipede. So, for example, is this play?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FHE5RkAPdg

Not trying to start a debate, just trying to suggest why this is a more difficult question than it appears to be on the surface.
    Last edited by TheLurch; 10-03-2016, 09:02 PM.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

True. Even with humans, there are different types of intelligence that can't be measured with a test.

Octopi are smart! Humans must look really weird to an octopus.
      Last edited by Christianbookworm; 10-04-2016, 07:21 AM.

Comment

A lot of play has to do with developing body control and mental associations. I don't know of any correlation between that and intelligence.
        I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
          A lot of play has to do with developing body control and mental associations. I don't know of any correlation between that and intelligence.
          Do ants play?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Do ants play?
            But apparently fish, frogs and reptiles do.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Do ants play?
              No, but they don't have a childhood.
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment