Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

THE thread for climate skeptics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    And do we predict that all that ice will melt?
    Depends on the rise in global temperatures and changes to the dynamics of the ice itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
      Depends on the rise in global temperatures and changes to the dynamics of the ice itself.
      So we don't know.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

According to Lurch, they have not risen at all where I live. But Jim's prediction said they will rise 230 feet! Scare tactics?
        230 feet if all of it melted. You asked specifically for how much had melted from 1880 till today. Don't you remember what question you asked?

Comment

And do we predict that all that ice will melt?
          Its actually a good question whether we've already damaged the environment so much that the melting of the ice caps has become inevitable.

Comment

So we don't know.
            Take a guy. He asks his doctor "Will I recover my lunge function and not get chronic obstructive lung syndrome?" And the doctor replies "Well, I can't guarantee that you'd recover all your lunge function, but it depends on whether you quit smoking, and start living healthy, as well as other factors such as stress, and so forth." Would it make sense for the patient to reply, puffing on a cigarette "So you really don't know?"

Comment

So we don't know.
              Seer. You're better than this.

The scientific consensus at the moment is that if we continue along at unsustainable rates of pollution, it is likely that there will be consequences to the planet. Science will not predict things with 100% accuracy, as there's a margin of error. However, when the stakes are high, and the predictions match what we've seen, it's a good sign that we should be listening to the research.

we can fix this issue. The problem is that people choose to ignore it for short term benefit.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                Seer. You're better than this.
                No.

Comment

Hey, Irate Canadian, can you play YYZ?

Comment

we can fix this issue. The problem is that people choose to ignore it for short term benefit.
                    Actually no we can't and we won't. No country (US, China, India, etc...) will hobble its manufacturing base to comply. People will not give up their cars, and no one will stand for the doubling or tripling their energy costs. One rational way around this would to bring hundreds of new nuclear plants on line, but the left will not allow that. Solar and wind will never cover the needs of our population in the short time that some are claiming that we have.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      230 feet if all of it melted. You asked specifically for how much had melted from 1880 till today. Don't you remember what question you asked?
                      No, I asked how much the sea level has risen. And it doesn't look like it has risen everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        Take a guy. He asks his doctor "Will I recover my lunge function and not get chronic obstructive lung syndrome?" And the doctor replies "Well, I can't guarantee that you'd recover all your lunge function, but it depends on whether you quit smoking, and start living healthy, as well as other factors such as stress, and so forth." Would it make sense for the patient to reply, puffing on a cigarette "So you really don't know?"
                        Except we are not going to change, or change enough to make a difference in time. Solar and wind just can not meet our needs at this point.

Comment

Except we are not going to change, or change enough to make a difference in time. Solar and wind just can not meet our needs at this point.
                          Right, so giving up on the future of our planet is a good idea?

Wind and solar aren't the only options in the room. There's also nuclear, geothermal, and hydroelectric. And technology isn't stagnant, the power generation mediums increase in both capacity and generation potential as time goes on.

These folks have some suggestion:

http://thesolutionsproject.org/

(They don't include Nuclear IIRC, but even without it, these are implementable goals.)

If I may make a suggestion to you Seer, don't view this on partisan lines. It's not a issue that needs to be.
                          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          I support the :
                          sigpic

Comment

Wind and solar aren't the only options in the room. There's also nuclear, geothermal, and hydroelectric. And technology isn't stagnant, the power generation mediums increase in both capacity and generation potential as time goes on.

(They don't include Nuclear IIRC, but even without it, these are implementable goals.)

If I may make a suggestion to you Seer, don't view this on partisan lines. It's not a issue that needs to be.
                            I think for people like him they need it to be because they value their politics so much over anything else - I'd bet even his religion. I've come to see that most (not all) conservatives would rather chew glass than admit they were wrong about climate change. For them, they need to convince themselves and others that it's 'all politics' because from day one, that's how they've approached this issue.

Comment

"Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Hey I have no problem with any of this, if they are viable. Nuclear is the best short term solution, but again the left does all it can to stop it. And let me be clear I have no love for big oil or gas, and most people don't care what generates their electricity or heat as long as they are at reasonable prices. Not double or triple what we pay now which I could not afford. And on a side note I probably have a smaller carbon foot print than most on this board, certainly much less than these warmists who fly all over the world and stay in the best hotels, eat the best foods, live in mansions and ride in limousines. They are hypocrites.

Comment