Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Ooops - 1st Oort cloud object found ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooops - 1st Oort cloud object found ...

https://carnegiescience.edu/node/2082

There once was a time when YE Creationists could claim that all those nasty astronomers were making up stories about the Kuiper belt and the Oort cloud. But then we started discovering Kuiper belt objects and they had to pretend they'd never really claimed it didn't exist and so the moved their sights out a little further - to the Oort cloud. "Look at how biased these scientists are" they would cackle. "No one has ever observed an Oort cloud object, yet they talk about it like it's real!"

But what they fail to understand is that gravity is real and gravity doesn't lie. And where orbital perturbations exist, mass also must exist. We've long known there is additional mass 'out there' by observing the orbit of Uranus - which led us to discover Neptune, and then later Pluto. But there just isn't enough mass with what we'd found, and not only that, we keep getting these comets lumbering in with these incredibly long orbits - they have to come from somewhere.

"Nay, Nay" the YE Creationist cried. "that is just your naturalistic 'religion' speaking".

But now we have a bonafide object that has not been disturbed so as to fall into the inner solar system yet which orbits into the Oort cloud.

Does one object an Oort cloud make? Well no, but along with it comes a host of newly discovered objects in-between. And of course, the formerly 'imaginary' kuiper belt currently holds over 1000 known objects of various orbits and sizes. It's only a matter of time it would seem.

Jim
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 08-30-2016, 06:30 PM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    https://carnegiescience.edu/node/2082

There once was a time when YE Creationists could claim that all those nasty astronomers were making up stories about the Kuiper belt and the Oort cloud. But then we started discovering Kuiper belt objects and they had to pretend they'd never really claimed it didn't exist and so the moved their sights out a little further - to the Oort cloud. "Look at how biased these scientists are" they would cackle. "No one has ever observed an Oort cloud object, yet they talk about it like it's real!"

But what they fail to understand is that gravity is real and gravity doesn't lie. And where orbital perturbations exist, mass also must exist. We've long known there is additional mass 'out there' by observing the orbit of Uranus - which led us to discover Neptune, and then later Pluto. But there just isn't enough mass with what we'd found, and not only that, we keep getting these comets lumbering in with these incredibly long orbits - they have to come from somewhere.

"Nay, Nay" the YE Creationist cried. "that is just your naturalistic 'religion' speaking".

But now we have a bonafide object that has not been disturbed so as to fall into the inner solar system yet which orbits into the Oort cloud.

Does one object an Oort cloud make? Well no, but along with it comes a host of newly discovered objects in-between. And of course, the formerly 'imaginary' kuiper belt currently holds over 1000 known objects of various orbits and sizes. It's only a matter of time it would seem.

Jim
    The first Oort object? I thought that some had already been identified like Sedna.

From a thread a bit over two months ago...
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Until recently YECs were mocking the concept of the Kuiper belt as an ad hoc fantasy but most have quietly ceased their scoffing -- which is probably wise considering that astronomers have cataloged over a thousand Kuiper belt objects (KBOs) since the first one was detected in 1992.

And while some YECs like to pretend otherwise, there is fairly strong evidence for the existence of the Oort Cloud. There are, for instance, eight likely Oort cloud objects including Sedna (aka, 2003 VB12 -- roughly three times as far from the sun as Neptune), which is very possibly a dwarf planet or planetoid and not a comet). It will make its closest approach to the sun in the mid 2070s and won't be back for roughly 12,000 years (it travels in an extremely elliptical orbit ranging from 76 AU to 937 AU from the Sun).

The others are 2000 CR105, 2006 SQ372, 2007 OR10,
    2008 KV42 (for a bit about 2008 KV42 see HERE), 2010 GB174 and 2012 VP113 (nicknamed "Biden" after the current Vice President),

Moreover, a radio broadcast from 2006 put out by the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) acknowledges that "what look like" Oort clouds have been seen around other stars

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The first Oort object? I thought that some had already been identified like Sedna.

From a thread a bit over two months ago...
      Yep - you are correct. The Object's actual distinction is that it has the farthest Perihelion. It never ventures closer that 80.5 AU.

Sorry I missed or did not remember your thread - you list most of the objects mentioned in the article I posted with perhaps the exception 2014 FE72, which ventures a whopping 4274 AU, well into the outer Oort cloud. That orbit takes the thing out to where it can be influenced by stars other than the Sun.

But hey, Oort cloud skeptics will soon have to go the way of Kuiper Belt skeptics. There are a large number of very large scopes coming on line. Of the 29 objects on the list in wikipedea discussing 2012 VP113, 20 where discovered since 2010.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Yep - you are correct. The Object's actual distinction is that it has the farthest Perihelion. It never ventures closer that 80.5 AU.

Sorry I missed or did not remember your thread - you list most of the objects mentioned in the article I posted with perhaps the exception 2014 FE72, which ventures a whopping 4274 AU, well into the outer Oort cloud. That orbit takes the thing out to where it can be influenced by stars other than the Sun.

But hey, Oort cloud skeptics will soon have to go the way of Kuiper Belt skeptics. There are a large number of very large scopes coming on line. Of the 29 objects on the list in wikipedea discussing 2012 VP113, 20 where discovered since 2010.

Jim
        Oh dear.

On facebook, I'm continually having to explain the rationale behind the Oort Cloud to those (with a wisdom I can only dream about) who continually deride the hypothesis as just another evolutionist conspiracy or hoax perpetrated as an attempt to deny God.

After explaining the reasons for postulating it, then explaining how the Kuiper Belt was once another of those evolutionist conspiracies or hoaxes, but now, more and more objects are being found there, it looks as if the Cloud is about to go that way as well.

Comment

since Jorge is gone I will take up the banner!

NAY!!! NAY I SAY!!! This is just another example of Evilutionary conspiracies with "science" - There are no planets or objects beyond the stars which are only holes in the dome of the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            since Jorge is gone I will take up the banner!

NAY!!! NAY I SAY!!! This is just another example of Evilutionary conspiracies with "science" - There are no planets or objects beyond the stars which are only holes in the dome of the sky.
            . . . and the devil was left handed!

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              . . . and the devil was left handed!
              how did you know I was left-handed?

Comment

Rumors.

Comment

NAY!!! NAY I SAY!!!
                  Always suspected that you were some sorta naysayer.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Because you have a hook in place of a right hand.

Comment