Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Looks can be deceiving (when it comes to design)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yes - AMAZING how badly people "remember" details in such --- in our seminar, they had a clown unexpectedly run through the room while a simulated robbery was taking place at the front --- then the written test on what you saw. The clown was described in pretty good detail.
    These are the sorts of things i am terrible at. I can focus on only one thing at a time - while i'm great at ignoring distractions, i don't notice anything outside that item. Means i can get work done on my laptop on the subway, but i'm also prone to working right along as the train rolls past my stop.
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
      These are the sorts of things i am terrible at. I can focus on only one thing at a time - while i'm great at ignoring distractions, i don't notice anything outside that item. Means i can get work done on my laptop on the subway, but i'm also prone to working right along as the train rolls past my stop.
      Are you familiar with that passing the ball test?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Are you familiar with that passing the ball test?
        Yes, but i've never seen it in a context where i didn't know what was coming, so i don't know how i'd really respond to it.

Comment

Yes, but i've never seen it in a context where i didn't know what was coming, so i don't know how i'd really respond to it.
          I pride myself on how observant I usually am. I'm the one who instantly notices when someone is wearing something new or got a haircut. I'm the one who quickly spots when something is out of place.

But when I first took this test something like a decade ago, I didn't believe that there was a gorilla anywhere in that video. Full of doubt I immediately "rewound" it and was more than a little chagrined to see the #@%$@ thing stroll right through them and even stop and beat its chest when it was in the middle. It was a rather humbling experience.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

EGGzackly - you know the Gorilla is about to make an entrance, so you're watching for it.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

I pride myself on how observant I usually am. I'm the one who instantly notices when someone is wearing something new or got a haircut. I'm the one who quickly spots when something is out of place.

But when I first took this test something like a decade ago, I didn't believe that there was a gorilla anywhere in that video. Full of doubt I immediately "rewound" it and was more than a little chagrined to see the #@%$@ thing stroll right through them and even stop and beat its chest when it was in the middle. It was a rather humbling experience.
              Always disappointing to find out we're typically human, with all the flaws that come with that, isn't it?

Comment

Please go back and reread the title of the thread you started about it, and the bit of text you wrote to introduce it. You will find the narrative you're trying to construct now that you've being called on it is completely false.
                Not completely false, changing the origin of bilaterians does not substantially affect the point that new genes are likely required for the Cambrian explosion. As I recall, you stated not too long ago that no new genes were required for the Cambrian explosion, just changes to regulatory DNA.

Blessings,
                Lee
                "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                  Not completely false, changing the origin of bilaterians does not substantially affect the point that new genes are likely required for the Cambrian explosion.
                  Then why post a paper about the genes needed for their origin? Yes, there may be an argument about how many new genes are required for the Cambrian explosion. But here's the thing: neither you nor the post you linked to made that argument. You're only making it now because you were called out for your error.

And once again, i'm left thinking less of you because you won't just admit a mistake and continue to try to pretend it wasn't one.

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
                  As I recall, you stated not too long ago that no new genes were required for the Cambrian explosion, just changes to regulatory DNA.
                  You don't recall; you imagine.

Comment

EGGzackly - you know the Gorilla is about to make an entrance, so you're watching for it.
                    If you're aware of what's about to happen you can't help but notice it. They need to make a "same thing only different" test.

Comment

No foolin! Which is why I began my post with "unrelated..."
                      Then . . . 'What's your point?'

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

We can have a bit more fun by ignoring Lee for a while and having a conversation about something that's actually interesting and real.

Comment

We can have a bit more fun by ignoring Lee for a while and having a conversation about something that's actually interesting and real.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Civil conversation with a friend with whom I probably have very little in common, but I respect him.

You obviously know very little, if anything, about that.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Civil conversation with a friend with whom I probably have very little in common, but I respect him.

You obviously know very little, if anything, about that.
                              Huh?!?!?!?

Comment