Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On information ... I may deeply regret this but ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Yeah, you might, but it'll probably be so buried in histrionics (which is all this post is, after all) that most people will miss it. Have you considered changing your approach?
    And that makes TWO useless posts!

Oh, your suggestion about "changing my approach" -- your feeble memory seems to forget that I've been here for well over a decade (13 years?) and in that time I've learned that "changing the approach" yields NOTHING!!!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Google is your friend
      Thank you so very much, Mrs. Crappleton!

Mrs C: "Today, class, we're going to learn what an onomatopoeia is."
      Rogue: "Ummm.. how do you even spell that?"
      Mrs C: "Look it up!!!!"

Oh, if we had only had Google back then!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge the welcher View Post
        You ARE at the top of the list since you were the FIRST critter to write a totally useless post. Congratulations on being the first.
        He was second.
        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnMartin View Post
          Hello Jorge

What is the relationship between biological information, which is always found in living organisms in the individual and intellective information which is always found in the universal?

JM
          If I understand your question correctly -- making it an excellent question -- the key is to view 'information' the right way. For instance, if as many do we view 'information' in the Shannon sense in all things - biological, intellectual, physical, etc. - then many paradoxes and conundrums will naturally emerge (and they do). That's because Shannon Information wasn't defined to handle all manifestations of 'information'.

What I have been (and continue) doing is constructing the theoretical infrastructure to handle 'information' properly in *any* sense, not just Shannon, Algorithmic, physical, or any other.

The short answer to your question is this: biological 'information' is the physicalization of abstract 'information'.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
            If we have a question, do we need to genuflect, or is tugging our forelock sufficient?
            That makes THREE confirmations of my prediction. Man I'm good!!!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
              Jorge, I'd recommend Randy Isaac, who has been thinking about this issue for quite awhile. He points out that "information" in a Shannon communications theory sense is not the same as "functional information" in a biological sense. Most people who come from an engineering background tend to equate the two. I think Randy makes some good points.

Here are links to some of his talks and slides:
              From the 2012 ASA annual meeting: http://network.asa3.org/?2012Audio
              From the 2014 ASA annual meeting: http://network.asa3.org/?page=2014Audio
              (Also note that your buddy Robert Marks II gave a talk on information at the 2014 meeting.)
              From the 2015 ASA annual meeting: http://resources.asa3.org/FMPro?-db=...d=36186&-find=

And an essay by Randy from 2011: http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2011/PSCF12-11Isaac.pdf
              Appreciate the info. I'm going beyond works such as those. I'm working on generalizing 'information' to where all types and manifestations of 'information' are covered by one theoretical infrastructure.

And you're right - most people do "tend to equate the two" which leads to all sorts of problems.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                The WHAT days?
                That makes FOUR.
                Well, maybe three-and-a-half.
                Can't really blame CP for being confused by R06's nonsense.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
                  You're so sweet.
                  Yes, I am indeed ... and you're so USELESS!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                    The saying is a stopped clock is right twice a day. A broken clock may never be right.

Agreed. Now that you've made that earth-shaking contribution, GO AWAY!!

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                      I'm getting closer to completing a treatise on 'information' - something that I've been working on since ... forever. I attempt to untangle, resolve, clarify, etc. many errors and misconceptions involving 'information' with a new 'information' theory. Concepts of language, intelligence and communication are crucial, of course.

While I sincerely doubt (I'm sorry to say**) that anything useful will come out of the people here, I will make the request nonetheless: If there's a question or point on 'information' that you would like to bring up then please post it.
                      Very astute observation. Self-imposed ignorance and nonsense is not useful nor productive.

'What we have here is a failure to communicate' - Cool Hand Luke.

**BTW, my expectation is founded on over a decade being here and reading the stuff posted by critters like Beagle Boy, Roy, R06, Roland, Wally, ... and a host of others. IOW, what I am expecting is anything BUT useful input. But then again ...

... who knows? Even a broken clock is right twice a day and so maybe someone here will post something truly worthwhile. In any event, here's your chance (don't later say that I did not provide that chance).

Jorge
                      A clock without hands is never right even though it runs all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                        And that makes TWO useless posts!

Oh, your suggestion about "changing my approach" -- your feeble memory seems to forget that I've been here for well over a decade (13 years?) and in that time I've learned that "changing the approach" yields NOTHING!!!

Jorge
                        So, having learned that there's no resulting difference between a sober recitation of the facts and content-free defensive jackassery, you'll roll with the latter? Nice.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Wally View Post
                          Halcyon, I think it's a sleeping pill.
                          That would be Halcyon Doze, not days -- or daze.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

... provided you can distinguish between authoritative sites and unreliable ones.
                            To look up that I think even a singular naughty swine would have trouble screwing up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Google is your friend
                              ... provided you can distinguish between authoritative sites and unreliable ones.
                              With friends like these, who knows which link will turn out to be a rickroll?
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                With friends like these, who knows which link will turn out to be a rickroll?
                                This is a rickroll.

Comment