Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Was 'An Inconvenient Truth' based on science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Only disconnected bis and pieces.
    In your honest opinion would you consider a more fitting title for the movie to be "An Incoherent Truth"?
    Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
      In your honest opinion would you consider a more fitting title for the movie to be "An Incoherent Truth"?
      Yes. It is home entertainment, like reality TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Trout View Post
        I request this thread be closed.
        Which will be honored the moment you admit that the rodent is your sock puppet or versa vice.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Which will be honored the moment you admit that the rodent is your sock puppet or versa vice.
          Meh Gerbil is not my sock puppet.
          Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Yes. It is home entertainment, like reality TV.
            I thought Trout and I were the last true skeptics on Tweb.
            I'm happy to say that I've decided to include you in that category.

Should we get special uniforms?

Comment

I thought Trout and I were the last true skeptics on Tweb.
              I'm happy to say that I've decided to include you in that category.

Should we get special uniforms?
              May I suggest matching secret decoder rings?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                May I suggest matching secret decoder rings?
                Thank all the gods nobody mentioned manties.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogue06
                  Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Exactly. Gore took things that may well have been based on legitimate science and pushed it to the extreme
                  Regarding the first claim: His assertion is identical to the assertion made by a prominent climate scientist.
                  Says you, but I doubt it. Can you back up your above claim with actual quotes from both folks, including the context of the quotes? (Scientific predictions are usually put forth somewhat tentatively, with the bases and assumptions clearly identified. Political claims are usually put forth much more dogmatically.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kbertsche View Post
                    Says you, but I doubt it. Can you back up your above claim with actual quotes from both folks, including the context of the quotes? (Scientific predictions are usually put forth somewhat tentatively, with the bases and assumptions clearly identified. Political claims are usually put forth much more dogmatically.)
                    See the second link in the article.

Comment

Kilimanjaro ice core records: evidence of Holocene climate change in tropical Africa
                      Last edited by HMS_Beagle; 05-05-2016, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I was under the impression that the reduction of the snow on Kilimanjaro was the result of deforestation near its base. This meant the winds that blew up it carried a great deal less moisture which had provided the necessary snow fall.

Comment

(Scientific predictions are usually put forth somewhat tentatively, with the bases and assumptions clearly identified. Political claims are usually put forth much more dogmatically.)
                          From the abstract in the article linked by HMSB:

Comment

Originally posted by kbertsche
                            Can you back up your above claim with actual quotes from both folks, including the context of the quotes? (Scientific predictions are usually put forth somewhat tentatively, with the bases and assumptions clearly identified. Political claims are usually put forth much more dogmatically.)
                            So in other words (as Beagle said): no, you cannot back up your claim with actual direct quotes from both Thompson and Gore. You can't even quote from (or even re-post the link to) the third-party article that you are trusting for this information!

But Beagle has provided both a quote from your third-party article and a link to Thompson's paper. In the text of his paper, Thompson said:

And as lao tzu pointed out, the abstract of Thompson's paper says:

Thompson wrote like a scientist. He qualified his statements with appropriate conditions and caveats: "IF current climatological conditions persist, the remaining ice fields are LIKELYEXPECTED between 2015 and 2020." He did NOT say that this would happen for certain, but that it was conditional and tentative. Thus Thompson will not be "wrong" if this does not occur by 2020.

What about Gore in "AIT"? Did Gore present this prediction as conditional and tentative? Or did he present it as absolute, incontrovertible fact? Can you find an actual, direct quote from Al Gore, with context, to back up your claim that he said the same thing as Thompson?

Comment

Can you find an actual, direct quote from Al Gore, with context, to back up your claim that he said the same thing as Thompson?
                              You're asking the guy who posted an article from Daily Caller to check his sources. I think there's a better chance we'll find the pony.

Comment

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...edictions.html

So yeah, the film made a claim based on a prediction made by 11 scientists (Lonnie among them) and the prediction was wrong.
                                If you want to argue the fact that they made the prediction and that it was wrong take it up with the author of the paper.
                                I'm done defending this point as it has been proven.

Comment