Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Was 'An Inconvenient Truth' based on science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Meh Gerbil View Post
    Trout is one of the very few skeptics on this website.
    The rest are members of a cult of one sort or another.
    The bacon cult.

AGW is caused by every one of us frying bacon 24/7.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
      Skepticism based on ignorance is just fear. It's a common phenomenon, particularly around here.
      Odd.
      Did someone give you the impression he/she is afraid?
      I'm not picking that up from anyone.

But then I'm not very good at reading minds.
      Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Yeah, you should stick to critiquing climate science.

Comment

I do not consider the book a reliable source for understanding 'global climate change,' because it was written by a layman politician using selective sound bites, and out takes from individual scientists and layman and a lacking a sound review of the scientific community on the subjects. Predictions like the disappearance of glaciers form Kilimanjaro are notoriously weak, because in reality the prediction lacked documented long term monitoring, and consideration of precipitation history of the region. It would have been much more relevant to cite research concerning the deterioration of glaciers in other part of the world where long term documentation is much better.

There are far more competent and more recent resources concerning global climate change than this. This book is also a bit old and moldy to be seriously considered as far as science is concerned. I do not believe many if any scientists really ever endorsed this book as accurate. Movie reviews were toxic at best.

2006!?!?! This road kill has been lying in the sun for almost ten years.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-05-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            The bacon cult.

AGW is caused by every one of us frying bacon 24/7.
            And pigs passing gas before they die.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
              Yeah, you should stick to critiquing climate science.
              Based on the incoherence of your responses you must be on your 5th pot of Kool-Aid by now.

Don't forget to pick up some incense for tonight's AGW ceremonies - you know the one, where you get a group of wide-eyed millennials to sit around the campfire while you share stories of cow flatulence and evil Hummer drivers destroying the planet. We all know the moment you live for: When the white kid in the Rastafarian hat and dreadlocks pulls the joint from his mouth and says, "Whoa teach, you're blowing my mind here."

Thank heavens you're there to fill his mind with the truth before the THC sets his brain like a little gray blob of concrete.
              Actually YOU put Trump in the White House. He wouldn't have gotten 1% of the vote if it wasn't for the widespread spiritual and cultural devastation caused by progressive policies. There's no "this country" left with your immigration policies, your "allies" are worthless and even more suicidal than you are and democracy is a sick joke that I hope nobody ever thinks about repeating when the current order collapses. - Darth_Executor striking a conciliatory note in Civics 101

Comment

Based on the incoherence of your responses you must be on your 5th pot of Kool-Aid by now.

Don't forget to pick up some incense for tonight's AGW ceremonies - you know the one, where you get a group of wide-eyed millennials to sit around the campfire while you share stories of cow flatulence and evil Hummer drivers destroying the planet. We all know the moment you live for: When the white kid in the Rastafarian hat and dreadlocks pulls the joint from his mouth and says, "Whoa teach, you're blowing my mind here."

Thank heavens you're there to fill his mind with the truth before the THC sets his brain like a little gray blob of concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  I do not consider the book a reliable source for understanding 'global climate change,' because it was written by a layman politician using selective sound bites, and out takes from individual scientists and layman and a lacking a sound review of the scientific community on the subjects. Predictions like the disappearance of glaciers form Kilimanjaro are notoriously weak, because in reality the prediction lacked documented long term monitoring, and consideration of precipitation history of the region. It would have been much more relevant to cite research concerning the deterioration of glaciers in other part of the world where long term documentation is much better.

There are far more competent and more recent resources concerning global climate change than this. This book is also a bit old and moldy to be seriously considered as far as science is concerned. I do not believe many if any scientists really ever endorsed this book as accurate. Movie reviews were toxic at best.

2006!?!?! This road kill has been lying in the sun for almost ten years.
                  Thank you for the cogent response.
                  It reads as if you're claiming that 'An Inconvenient Truth' was not based on science.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                    Taoist abandoned substantive posts some time ago.
                    I don't blame him for that - we've been picking on each other for years.
                    I assume he enjoys the off topic parrying as much as I do.

Comment

Odd.
                      Did someone give you the impression he/she is afraid?
                      I'm not picking that up from anyone.

Yes.
                      I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                        Yes.
                        Are you afraid, carrot?

Comment

Don't get miffed, rodent. If you were serious about honest answers, you'd get them. You didn't really think posting up a "critique" from a Daily Caller hack was going to pass muster in a science forum with folks who've been poring over research papers on climate science for over a decade, did you?

I mean, did you?

Read this and we'll talk.

Or don't, and I'll stick to critiquing your wardrobe.

I know. That's not fair. It's not your fault your mother dresses you funny.

Comment

Are you afraid, carrot?
                            No. I don't base my skepticism on ignorance. I don't let my imagination rule me. If I don't know about something, and I wonder about it, I take the time to learn about it.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Thank you for the cogent response.
                              It reads as if you're claiming that 'An Inconvenient Truth' was not based on science.
                              Only disconnected bis and pieces.

Comment

I request this thread be closed.
                                The last Christian left at tweb

Comment