Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Graham's Number

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    What are some other inconceivable concepts in math?
    Heard this story some years ago on the problem of grasping a concept like infinity.

The little bird of Svithjod

High up in the north, in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak.

When the rock has thus been worn away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by.

Comment

The average human brain.
      Well, the infinity of set theory is conceivable to one with an average human brain that has had some edumacation in abstract maths.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
        Heard this story some years ago on the problem of grasping a concept like infinity.

The little bird of Svithjod

High up in the north, in the land called Svithjod, there stands a rock. It is a hundred miles high and a hundred miles wide. Once every thousand years a little bird comes to this rock to sharpen its beak.

When the rock has thus been worn away, then a single day of eternity will have gone by.
        Depends the definition of "eternity".

Is it unending time or some entity outside of time?

Also if one tries to equate eternity with infinity (in the mathematical sense), then the anecdote is incorrect.

Comment

Discuss. I don't know where the best place to put a math thread is, so I put it in the science area. From a theistic perspective, God fully comprehends this number, correct?
          If God exists I am sure God fully comprehends this number. I am not sure the solution proposed by Ronald Graham for a solution as the explanation of the upper bounds of the mathematical problem.

I do not believe this solution and the problem have anything to do with the existence or non-existence.

Comment

God fully comprehends this number, correct?

Comment

Is FF trying to start anything? No debating about the existance of God in this thread! I have no clue what FF said, given that I have him on ignore.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Is FF trying to start anything? No debating about the existance of God in this thread! I have no clue what FF said, given that I have him on ignore.
                Yes, it was a trollish comment.
                Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                  No it can be shown calculated from the Bible to two places as 3.1. PI has no last digit. Graham's Number last digits are known.
                  you all are hairy ticks!!!! repent!!!!! the bible is not wrong. the earth is flat and it is a pie. apple. or maybe cherry.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                    Yes, it was a trollish comment.
                    In that case, I would like for him(and whag and starlight and anyone else who can't be civil and want's to make my thread into an argument on theism vs. atheism) to leave my thread alone, please.

Comment

Comment

The Full episode

Last edited by Sparko; 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by klaus54 View Post
                          The verse where this is stated gives the ratio in cubits 30/10 = 3.

That would produce a somewhat oblong "sea".

3.1 would obviously be better, but it's not the plain clear simple reading of the verse.

Source: 1 Kings 7:23, AKJV

And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

© Copyright Original Source

From brim to brim is 10 cubits. The brim is one hand breadth wide(v.26), 1/6th cubit. 30 cubits being understood as an inside measure around. This fits the math of PI to 3.1 cubits.

Better yet take 1 Kings 7:23 and remove kings, take the 1 and subtract it from 23. 23 - 1 = 22 then divide by the chapter 7, 22/7 = 3.142857 . . . . a common approximation for PI as 3.14 . . . .
                          . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post

From brim to brim is 10 cubits. The brim is one hand breadth wide(v.26), 1/6th cubit. 30 cubits being understood as an inside measure around. This fits the math of PI to 3.1 cubits.

Better yet take 1 Kings 7:23 and remove kings, take the 1 and subtract it from 23. 23 - 1 = 22 then divide by the chapter 7, 22/7 = 3.142857 . . . . a common approximation for PI as 3.14 . . . .
                            It's not off topic since you made the claim of the "Biblical pi" = 3.1.

OK, that's a reasonable explanation. 3.1 would produce a decent approximation to a circle. The area would be off less than 2%.

But, apparently you believe in a kind of "Bibliomatics" as well with your fiddling with verse designations.

Or course you were prolly just kiddin' about that.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              rogue's number is the very last digit of pi
                              Given that there is no "very last digit of pi" this means that
                              "rogue's number" is just like the space in rogue's skull - the empty set.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
                                Given that there is no "very last digit of pi" this means that
                                "rogue's number" is just like the space in rogue's skull - the empty set.

Jorge
                                Play nice! At least in this thread, understand?

Comment