Announcement

Collapse

Archeology 201 Guidelines

If Indiana Jones happened to be a member of Tweb, this is where he'd hang out.

Welcome to the Archeology forum. Were you out doing some gardening and dug up a relic from the distant past? would you like to know more about Ancient Egypt? Did you think Memphis was actually a city in Tennessee?

Well, for the answers to those and other burning questions you've found the right digs.

Our forum rules apply here too, if you haven't read them now is the time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Images of Nero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Images of Nero

Not sure if this goes here but couldn't think of anywhere else...

I recently ran across a display of Roman coins that depict how the Emperor Nero appears to have put on a great deal of weight by the time he was assassinated.

This led to some more rooting about resulting in finding a recent attempt to recreate his likeness by a Spanish artist in charge of the Cesares de Roma project.

Definitely not one to sweep the ladies off their feet.

From a ScienceAlert piece titled: Artist's Life-Like Sculpture of Roman Emperor Nero Shows a Neckbearded Jerkface.

While the artist doesn't go into detail on his inspiration, the end result does reflect classic depictions made of Nero over the ages, including a 17th century marble bust on display at the Musei Capitolini in Rome.

Sure, Nero died a good eight centuries before the bust was carved, so any question of accuracy is a fair one, but coins struck during the emperor's reign suggest the double chin and neckbeard are bang on the money.

As for colour, references made by contemporary historians such as Suetonius did say he had grey to blue eyes. They also said Nero's hair was 'subflavo', which translates roughly as the yellow or blonde of a lion's mane. So where did the modern rust-coloured mop come from? That bit isn't clear.

It should be noted that Europeans didn't even have a word for orange until the 1500s with the color being typically described as the color that's between yellow and red. When the first oranges were brought to Europe so was the name of the color.

For those interested, the artist also did recreations of Julius Caesar and Augustus, who didn't appear as thug-like as Nero. Spanish Artist Recreates Famous Roman Emperors Through His Realistic Sculptures

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Orange Man Bad
    When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
      Orange Man Bad
      The original. Old School.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Not sure if this goes here but couldn't think of anywhere else...

I recently ran across a display of Roman coins that depict how the Emperor Nero appears to have put on a great deal of weight by the time he was assassinated.

This led to some more rooting about resulting in finding a recent attempt to recreate his likeness by a Spanish artist in charge of the Cesares de Roma project.

Definitely not one to sweep the ladies off their feet.

From a ScienceAlert piece titled: Artist's Life-Like Sculpture of Roman Emperor Nero Shows a Neckbearded Jerkface.

While the artist doesn't go into detail on his inspiration, the end result does reflect classic depictions made of Nero over the ages, including a 17th century marble bust on display at the Musei Capitolini in Rome.

Sure, Nero died a good eight centuries before the bust was carved, so any question of accuracy is a fair one, but coins struck during the emperor's reign suggest the double chin and neckbeard are bang on the money.

As for colour, references made by contemporary historians such as Suetonius did say he had grey to blue eyes. They also said Nero's hair was 'subflavo', which translates roughly as the yellow or blonde of a lion's mane. So where did the modern rust-coloured mop come from? That bit isn't clear.

It should be noted that Europeans didn't even have a word for orange until the 1500s with the color being typically described as the color that's between yellow and red. When the first oranges were brought to Europe so was the name of the color.

For those interested, the artist also did recreations of Julius Caesar and Augustus, who didn't appear as thug-like as Nero. Spanish Artist Recreates Famous Roman Emperors Through His Realistic Sculptures
          Apparently the historian Suetonius described Nero as having a "fat neck" and "potbelly," but it appears he was almost svelte compared to Vitellius (who ruled Rome briefly during the Year of the Four Emperors) was said to be morbidly obese. I think Nero would have reached that point in another half dozen or so years had he lived.

Comment