Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Is ASCII Code relevant for Apocalypse 13:18? I think so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    It's also it's own proper name.
    In German and Swedish you are right.

In Latin or Greek both of them are short for Ioannes/Ιωάννης
    http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      I think hansgeorg is the only one who's taking this discussion seriously.
      Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I should hope so.
      If Meh Gerbil left, you may be right.

Comment

I think it is hilarious that a guy who refuses to acknowledge that zero is a number, wants to use binary numerology.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I think it is hilarious that a guy who refuses to acknowledge that zero is a number, wants to use binary numerology.
          I'm sure you remember in the old days when the first hard drive (or device) in a chain was called "Drive 0", then "Drive 1", "Drive 2", etc..... And, as your implying, 0 one of only TWO states in binary digital logic.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by hansgeorg View Post
            If Meh Gerbil left, you may be right.
            Apparently, American culture is not the only thing you don't get.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I am not refusing zero the status of a useful numeral.

Say A = 65, 64+1

The ones are numerals designating by position respectively 64 and 1. Which are numbers.

The zeros only designate the positions which have no number attached to them.

Comment

I am not refusing zero the status of a useful numeral.
                So, if you billed me for $1,000 worth of work (assuming you could produce that much work), I could give you a check for $1, and you'd be happy? The heck with all those pesky zeroes!

Comment

So, if you billed me for $1,000 worth of work (assuming you could produce that much work), I could give you a check for $1, and you'd be happy? The heck with all those pesky zeroes!
                  No, you could give me a check for 1 k$, or a check for M $ - supposing the bank would accept such designation.

It is only in Arabic numerals that zeros are necessary to designate position and position differentiates on whether "1" means I, X, C or M.

Comment

No, you could give me a check for 1 k$, or a check for M $ - supposing the bank would accept such designation.

It is only in Arabic numerals that zeros are necessary to designate position and position differentiates on whether "1" means I, X, C or M.
                    This one doesn't even merit a serious response.

Comment

Because you don't have any.

I am not disputing the status zero had between Fibonacci and the decision to call it a number.

1 means I when standing alone, X when standing before one zero, C when standing before two zeros and so on (even beyond Roman numerals).

2 means II, XX, CC, MM according to how many if any zeros come after.

All this means is that zero is a numeral, not that it is so because it is a number.

Comment

as usual, his rationalizations make ZERO sense. He told me fractions don't exist because nobody would sell half an apple and it would spoil too fast.

Comment

All this means is that zero is a numeral, not that it is so because it is a number.
                          Numeral - a figure, symbol, or group of these denoting a number.

Comment

He told me fractions don't exist
                            I told you they were not numbers, that is quite another matter.

Half an apple cannot be sold among a number of apples, for reason stated. So, half an apple is not counting how many apples.

I never said it doesn't exist or occur!

BUT, that one would be better placed on the thread "my hero, zero", wouldn't it?

Comment

Numeral - a figure, symbol, or group of these denoting a number.
                              Well, zeros do denote numbers, not in themselves, but when joined to other Arabic numerals.

Comment

Well, zeros do denote numbers, not in themselves, but when joined to other Arabic numerals.
                                "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one". That's "zero" righteous. That's purdy durn significant!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X