Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Myers-Briggs and atheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
    I haven't posted in this thread since it was on topic, but did firstfloor deny the ability to discern truth? Firstfloot would you call yourself a relativist?

And I hope you are having a nice Winter.
    If you can discern truth then so can I. I don’t think I am a relativist but I also do not object to it in the way that religions do. In my view, the absolute reference for truth is reality; the persistence and movement of light and matter, but our experience of the world is translated by our senses. For example, if we think about colour vision and the electromagnetic spectrum we might begin to wonder if the world is really coloured in the way it looks to us. The local radio station is just as present but you need a special instrument to ‘see’ it and it has no colour. It would appear that colour is made in our eyes and brains.

In general, there seems to be a difference between what we think the world is like using our human centred ordinary experience and descriptive language, and what is really going on; all the stuff that has been discovered by science and mathematics.

Comment

• Pretty sophomoric ff.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        If you can discern truth then so can I. I don’t think I am a relativist but I also do not object to it in the way that religions do. In my view, the absolute reference for truth is reality; the persistence and movement of light and matter, but our experience of the world is translated by our senses. For example, if we think about colour vision and the electromagnetic spectrum we might begin to wonder if the world is really coloured in the way it looks to us. The local radio station is just as present but you need a special instrument to ‘see’ it and it has no colour. It would appear that colour is made in our eyes and brains.

In general, there seems to be a difference between what we think the world is like using our human centred ordinary experience and descriptive language, and what is really going on; all the stuff that has been discovered by science and mathematics.
        Ok ff, it was just that you saying truth was different from reality that threw me off then. But your explanation does lead me to ask if you think our scientific instruments will ever make reality completely knowable? If not would you say it is because the universe is trancendant?
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Ok ff, it was just that you saying truth was different from reality that threw me off then. But your explanation does lead me to ask if you think our scientific instruments will ever make reality completely knowable? If not would you say it is because the universe is trancendant?
          If it turns out that there are practical limits to our technology, financial resources or cleverness and we just hit a ‘brick wall’ we won’t be able to draw any definite conclusions. I don’t think we can substitute “transcendent” for lack of scientific knowledge because it is one of those tricky words that may refer to aspects of God’s nature.

Here is Laurence Krauss being pessimistic about what can be discovered:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ascn8kUXO1c
          The sound quality improves a bit at 7 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Pretty sophomoric ff.
            What is your objection?

Comment

What is your objection?
              Those are the sort of questions that concerned me at 10 years of age.
              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                Those are the sort of questions that concerned me at 10 years of age.
                Well then, you may be overdue for a review of your basic beliefs.

Comment

He's saying you're ideas are childish and you're the one who is due for a review of your basic beliefs. Do you not know how to read for basic context?
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

He's saying you're ideas are childish and you're the one who is due for a review of your basic beliefs.
                    So, what am I missing LPOT?

Comment

I did that when I was about 33 or 34 and have had no need to change anything, in spite of much examination and review.

Comment

Way too open ff, way too open. I cringe to think of what you may get in response.
                        Last edited by Jedidiah; 12-31-2014, 10:35 PM.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ascn8kUXO1c
                          The sound quality improves a bit at 7 minutes.
                          Okay, that's about what I expected you to say. Thank you very much for answering my questions. Happy New Year ff!
                          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Okay, that's about what I expected you to say. Thank you very much for answering my questions. Happy New Year ff!
                            You are welcome. Happy new year to you too.

Comment

Knowledge, for starters.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Knowledge, for starters.
                                Thing is LPOT that I am so smart that I can immediately tell that you are thinking of something quite specific and not something as general as “knowledge”. So, I’m not giving you any points for that one.

I’ll tell you what. I don’t think you can describe any significant lack in my outlook without using words that even you do not understand. I think this is true because religious people are essentially obscurants.

I hope this is the start of a wonderful new year for you.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X