Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

The tweb recipe thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Crow:
    Easy soap recipe--don't eat it, yup, it's soap!

All ingredients by weight.

16 oz lard or vegetable shortening
    6 oz 76 degree coconut oil
    8 oz cold water
    3 oz lye (sodium hydroxide)
    1 bottle Lorraine Oils lemon or peppermint oil (about a tsp--don't use flavorings, use oils--you can buy these at most drug stores)
    1 oz olive oil.

Melt the lard or vegetable shortening and coconut oil together in the microwave. While oils are melting, place cold water in a clean plastic pitcher that you don't intend to use for food, add lye, (always add lye to water, and not vice versa or it will splatter) and stir with a stainless steel spoon. Don't breathe the fumes! You can do this under the range hood with the exhause fan on or outside. It will get hot.

Pour the lard and coconut oil into a blender. Pour the lye-water mix into the oils, cover tightly, and blend in 5-10 second bursts on low until it takes on the consistancy of pancake batter. Add the olive oil and the lemon or peppermint oil and blend a few more seconds until this is all incorporated.

Pour the resultant mix, which should be about like a thick gravy--pourable but not totally runny--into a plastic pan. I use silicon bakeware, but throw-away take along stuff works fine too. Let it set for a week then cut into bars with a knife and use. "Cooked" soap recipes can take as much as 3 months to cure, but with the blender method the lye and fats are incorporated much more thoroughly and result in a much quicker cure time.

Please remember--lye is dangerous. Don't get it on your skin, don't get it on your clothes, and wash it off immediately if any of the lye mixture or uncured soap splashes on you. You should wear gloves. I don't, of course, which is why I occasionally whine about lye burns. Even I am not crazy enough to make soap without wearing eye protection--I wear glasses anyway, and this works fine.

This recipe makes about 6 nice sized bars of good soap.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From our resident shrink, JardinPrayer:
      My mom saw this recipe on The Food Network...prepared by that Italian lady...DiLaurentis or something. The woman with the huge smile.

Perfect Chicken Tenderloins
      2 pkgs of chicken tenderloins (about 16 pieces)
      2 cups buttermilk
      1 cup grated parmasean cheese (the fresher the better)
      1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
      olive oil

Rinse the chicken and place in a 9x13x2 glass baking dish. Cover with buttermilk and let soak for a minimum of 15 minutes to a maximum of 30 minutes. (I go for the max every time...do not go over, though.)

Meanwhile, combine the bread crumbs and parmasean cheese.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. That's right...500. Farenheit.

Drain excess buttermilk from the chicken. Lift each tenderloin and shake off whatever remaining buttermilk will come off, dredge in the bread crumb mixture and place on a cookie sheet.

When all the chicken has been prepared and placed on your cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil. Place in the ridiculously hot oven for EXACTLY 12 minutes...set a timer. Do not turn the chicken over.

Your chicken will be plump, juicy, delicious, and amazing! Every time! Leftovers are great cold or hot on a sandwich. Microwaving leftovers will not be as crisp, but will taste just great.

Bon appetit!
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

From semmie'ssister:
        Here's a recipe for some real easy homemade ice cream

Kids of all ages can make this ice cream. It's easy and delicious! You don't need an ice cream machine, and you don't need a freezer for hardening or storage, so you can make this recipe on camping trips, at parties, school, the beach, or just about anywhere!

You will need to make one serving of ice cream:
        1 cup heavy whipping cream
        1 tablespoon sugar
        1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        2 cups ice cubes (about two large handsful)
        6 tablespoons rock salt
        1 Ziploc brand sandwich bag, or other sandwich-size plastic sealable bag
        1 Ziploc brand freezer bag (quart-sized), or other large, plastic sealable freezer bag
        1 pair of oven mitts
        1 dishtowel
        1 spoon

Step one: Pour the cream into the sandwich-sized bag.

Step two: Add sugar and vanilla extract to the same bag.

Step three: Seal the bag. (Make sure it's tightly closed, otherwise your ingredients will leak.)

Step four: Place the closed sandwich bag inside the freezer bag.

Step five: Pour the ice into the freezer bag.

Step six: Pour the rock salt into the freezer bag.

Step seven: Seal the freezer bag. Tightly, please!

Step eight: Put on your oven mitts; or wrap the dishtowel loosely around the freezer bag.

Step nine: Shake, rock, roll, and squeeze the bag for a full 5 minutes. (Note: the bag is going to get very cold, between 18-20 degrees F. The mitts or dishtowel will keep your hands from freezing.)

Step ten: Open the freezer bag and remove the sandwich bag. Using the dish towel, quickly wipe away any rock salt and water from the outside of the sandwich bag. (The ice will have almost completely melted, so the outside of your sandwich bag will be wet.) This will keep the salt and water out of your sandwich bag - - and your ice cream! -- when you open it.

Step eleven: Open the sandwich bag and . . . enjoy! You may eat the ice cream right out of the bag, or spoon it into a bowl. To remove every last delicious bit of the ice cream, turn the bag inside out and scrape the sides with your spoon or lick the bag clean!

More suggestions: You can top your ice cream with chocolate sauce or other syrups, chocolate chips, cookie crumbs, brownie pieces, M & Ms, granola, nuts fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or peaches.

Doesn't that sound good? I forgot where I found this receipe, but I found it many years ago and I think it's a good one that I need to pull out and use more often.
        sigpic

Comment

More from semmie'ssister:
          Yasai Itame

Ingredients:
          (makes 4 servings)

cabbage - 600g
          pork - 200g
          Tofu - half a block
          green onions - 10 to 12
          katsuobushi (flaked tuna) stock soup - 1/2 cup
          lard - 3 tablespoons
          salt - to taste
          soy sauce - to taste

Directions:
          1. Cut cabbage and tofu into large pieces.
          2. Boil the pork for 15 minutes and cut into bite-size peices.
          3. Cut the green onion stalks 2 inches long.
          4. Fry pork pieces in lard for 5 minutes, add cabbage. After cabbage becomes soft, add tofu, and tuna stock soup. Lastly, add salt and soy sauce to taste.
          5. Enjoy!
          sigpic

Comment

From our resident shrink's other half, Iluvatar:
            ok, I have been prevailed upon by my better half - JardinPrayer - to disclose my secret recipe for salmon / rice salad. This is a little thing I dreamed up one day when I had leftover salmon and wanted to do something special with it. Its quite a treat for your taste buds, with different textures and flavors contributing.

We often cook salmon fillets (not those silly looking steaks with the bone in the middle and lots of little bones you have to watch out for) on cedar plank on our Weber charcoal grill. We get Salmon Milano at Costco usually, which is composed of 3 nice inch-thick salmon fillets sprinkled with fresh dill and topped with basil butter. You can get cedar grilling planks from barbecue specialty stores, or on the internet at any number of cooking accessory sites. You soak the plank under water for about 15 minutes, arrange the salmon fillets on it, put it over the charcoal and cover the grill with the vents half open. It usually takes about 15 minutes per pound and the salmon has this wonderful flavor from the basil butter, dill, and the smoke from the smoldering cedar plank. Of course, if you can't get Salmon Milano at Costco you can just get some nice thick salmon fillets at your local fish market and you can even cook with cedar plank on a gas grill (if you must). So that's the precursor to this dish. Actually, you can get excellent results by baking the fish in the oven in butter. Usually, we get about 2 pounds of salmon to cook on the plank, and have anywhere from 3/4 to 1 pound left over. We refrigerate the fish and use it the next day in this recipe:

3/4 to 1 lb of cooked salmon fillet - flaked with a fork
            2 cups (4 cups cooked) basmati rice - cooked in chicken broth with a little butter and then refrigerated until it is cool.
            1/4 cup bermuda onion - chopped
            1 cup crumbled feta cheese
            juice of 1 lemon
            6 teaspons cider vinegar
            coarsely ground pepper to taste (we use the gourmet mixed pepper that has black, red, white, and green peppercorns) - set your pepper grinder to coarse, its really important for the flavor to have relatively large grains of pepper
            1 Tablespoon dried dill weed
            extra virgin olive oil

Put the cooked rice in a large bowl, and add olive oil until the grains of rice are lightly coated. There should not be so much oil that any collects in the bottom of the bowl, but you want the rice grains to separate and not stick to each other too much. Add the lemon juice and cider vinegar and mix well. Now add the onion, pepper, and the dill weed. Taste for seasoning - it should be a little tart, but that will mellow when you add the rest of the ingredients. Add the fish and the feta cheese, mix well, and enjoy! The effort is worth it..........

Please be aware that I NEVER measure any of the ingredients except the rice. Everything else is by eye, so amounts given are approximate. You can adjust any of the ingredients to fit your taste, and I encourage you to taste it as you assemble the dish to achieve a flavor that is pleasing to you.
            sigpic

Comment

From luv1another:
              Ginger beer plant

In a screw top Jar put...
              8 sultanas,
              juice of 2 lemons,
              teaspoon of lemon pulp,
              2 teaspoons ground ginger (the powdered stuff)
              4 teaspoons of sugar (try diffrent types for diffrent tastes)
              2 cups of cold water

leave to ferment for about 3 days then..
              each day for a week add...
              2 teaspoons of ground ginger,
              4 teaspoons of sugar.

after the week is up in a container ( we usually use a new clean bucket)pour 4 cups of boiling water onto 4 cups of sugar , stir till dissolved and add juice of 4 lemons. strain ginger beer plant through a fine muslin (or other suitable cloth) into the container, squeeze cloth dry...add 28 cups of cold water and bottle... (they used to use beer bottles and reseal them, but they explode so I use cool drink (pop) bottles you know plastic bottles with screw caps that I have cleaned).

oh and you should leave it about a week (minimum) in the bottles before drinking
              sigpic

Comment

From semmie'ssister:
                Sakechatsuke

Ingredients needed for 4 servings:
                salted salmon filets - 400g
                steamed rice - 4 cups white rice
                nori seaweed - 2 sheets
                hot green tea - 4 cups
                mitsuba leaves - a few
                wasabi paste - to taste
                salt - to taste

Directions:
                1. Grill the salmon filets or wrap and microwave for three minutes. Remove any bones and cut into small pieces.

2. Put the rice ito individual bowls, mix with the pieces of salmon, and pour hot green tea over the mix.

3. Add nori, mitsuba, and wasabi to taste and mix. Add salt as needed to taste.

4. Enjoy!
                sigpic

Comment

More from semmie'ssister:
                  Yakitori

Ingredients needed for 4 servings
                  chicken thighs - 700g
                  green onions - 5
                  tomato - 1 (for garnish)
                  green pepper - 1
                  soy sauce - 2 tablespoons
                  cooking oil - 1 tablespoon
                  sake - 2 tablespoons
                  sliced garlic - 1 clove
                  sliced ginger - 1 teaspoon
                  lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
                  skewers - 8
                  cooking oil - 1 tablespoon

Dipping sauce:
                  peanut butter - 2 tablespoons
                  sugar 1 tablespoon
                  soy sauce - 1 teaspoon
                  red pepper - to taste
                  sesame oil - 1 teaspoon

Directions:
                  1. To make marinade, mix soy sauce, cooking oil, sake, garlic, ginger, and lemon juice.
                  2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces - about 8 pieces per skewer.
                  3. Place the chicken pieces in the marinade for about an hour.
                  4. To make dipping sauce mix peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, red pepper, and sesame oil.
                  5. Stick chicken on steel skewers and fry lightly in cooking oil - about 70 percent done.
                  6. Grill chicken pieces over open flame until browned.
                  7. Prepare green onions and tomato as garnish.
                  8. Use dipping sauce to enhance the taste and enjoy!
                  sigpic

Comment

And more from semmie'ssister:
                    Here's a receipe for those of you on a diet, as there's no calories in the konjac root.

Fried Konnyaku

Ingredients needed for 4 servings:

Konnyaku (konjac root) - 600g
                    Soy Sauce - 2 tablespoons
                    Olive Oil - 2 tablespoons
                    Mirin - 2 tablespoons
                    Beef Stock soup - made from 1 boulion cube

Directions:
                    1. Cut konnyaku into 5mm strip and slit in the center.
                    2. Boil konnyaku for 10 minutes to remove the odor. (The odor can be somewhat repulsive to those who are not used to it. Don't worry, it's not spoiled, it really spells that way.)
                    3. Put olive oil, soy sauce, mirin, and beef stock soup in a pan. Mix together.
                    4. Add the konnyaku and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
                    5. Enjoy!
                    sigpic

Comment

From bandecoot, for gabailey:
                      Pickles for gabby.

Green tomato Pickle.

500g (1 lb) salt
                      3kg (6lb) green tomatos
                      2kg (4lb) Onions
                      1 cup flour
                      2 cups sugar
                      3 tablespoons of dry mustard powder
                      1 teaspoon curry powder
                      1 teasoon cloves about 6-7
                      1 teaspoon allspice
                      2.5 litre(4pints) vinegar.

make up a brine using the salt and about 9 pints (5 litres) of water.

Cut up the vegetales finely and soak in the brine overnight.

next day, bring the brine (including the vegetables) almost to the boil. take out 3 cups of brine and mix with all the dry ingredients except the allspice to make a smoth paste.

Drain off the rest of the brine and add the vinegar and allspice to the pot, heat the vinegar and allspice untl you can small the allspice strongly then add the vegetables back in. Bring to the boiling point but do not boil.

bottle in sterile jars and let sit for a week or so before using.

------------------------------------
                      the no boil rule is so the tomatoes stay chunky.

Ill add more as I have time to transcribe. I have made this one with great sucess. Mostly to sell at school fetes and that sort of thing.
                      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for reposting all these!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

From Rahab:
                          Tortone : from bella Napoli, on Easter Monday, Italians gather for a pique nique known as "La Pasquetta". This delicacy is traditionaly served on that day:

- bread dough
                          - cubed smoked ham
                          - 4 boiled eggs
                          - cubed provolone
                          - at least 10 thin slices of sopressata and 10 of pancetta (if you cannot find either substitute with Genoa salami)
                          - one large sliced fresh mozarella (dry american mozarella can substitute)
                          - 10 slices (very thin) of prosciutto.

Bread dough: 500 grs of flour, 3 cups of warm water, one package of fresh yeast (dry is Ok too), salt and the "magic" ingredient of lard, about one cup. Pour the flour in a large mixing bowl and dig a well in the center. Pour the warm water and add the yeast. Wait until the yeast "bubbles up" before adding the other ingredients. Knead your dough for about 20 minutes. Form a ball, brush the top with olive oil , cover with a moist thin dishcloth and let rise for an hour in a warm area.

When dough is risen, roll it out as a rectangle.

Lay out all the cubed/sliced meat and cheese on the entire dough surface. Cut your boiled eggs in halves (length) and lay them out. Roll your entire dough into the shape of a bread making sure to fold each end. Brush all sides with olive oil.

Place on an olive oil greased pizza pan. Let it rise again for about half an hour. Pre heat your oven to 400 F. Place a sheet of thin tin foil on the top of your tortone. Bake for about 25 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
                          sigpic

Comment

From Teallaura, for bandecoot:
                            sigpic

Comment

From semmie'ssister:
                              Glazed Ham Balls

1 1/2 cups crushed saltine crackers
                              2 pounds ground fully cooked ham
                              1 pound ground pork
                              2 cups packed brown sugar
                              6 tablespoons cider vinegar
                              2 teaspoons ground mustard

1. in a large bowl, combine the eggs and cracker crumbs. Crumble ham and pork over mixture and mix well.

2. Shape into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place into two ungreased 15 inch X 10 inch X 1inch baking pans. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.

3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 mminutes or until thickened.

4. Drain ham balls. Drizzle syrup mixture over hamballs, toss to coat. Bake 10 minutes longer or until glazed.

5. Enjoy!
                              sigpic

Comment

From Gabby:
                                I love these cookies and they are so much better homemade than those yucky store bought ones.

1 cup White Sugar
                                3/4 cup Honey
                                3/4 cup Black Coffee
                                1/2 cup Lard

Boil together for 5 min. Cool and add:

3 Eggs beaten
                                1/2 tsp Black Pepper
                                1/2 tsp Cinnamon
                                1/2 tsp Nutmeg
                                1/2 tsp Anise
                                1 tsp Baking Powder
                                1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
                                4 1/2 cups Flour *

Mix and let dough stand over night. Roll into walnut sized balls. Bake at 350F for 12 -15 min. Roll in powered sugar when cool.

* Do not add more flour.
                                sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X