Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Absolute FAVORITE Kitchen Appliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I've tried the various "hot chocolates" in the Keurig, and, yeah... it just tastes kinda watery for me for the money. Besides, I like my hot chocolate made with milk instead of water, and my wife won't let me run milk through the Keurig.
    Yup. We get samples once in a while when I purchase coffee from Keurig, and it just doesn't seem worth it. Big old canisters of hot chocolate mix (or even better, made with baking cocoa and sugar and hot milk, like before the war), and apple cider mix in canisters or packets are a lot cheaper.

I've been getting canisters of Apple cider mix for MelMak for Christmas for a few years now from the local Second Cup. Probably Starbucks or other coffe places have them, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      (or even better, made with baking cocoa and sugar and hot milk, like before the war)
      For our big family, on a cold winter day, Momma would make a HUGE pot of potato soup and a huge pot of cocoa. For some reason, those two were almost always served together, and when I have potato soup, I always seem to want to have a good cup of cocoa with it. Maybe with some baby marshmallows floating in it.

But, yeah, when she would get that big tin can of Hershey's Cocoa down, I knew it was gonna be a great day!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

My mother had a "cocoa pitcher" that belonged to my grandmother, a beautiful thing to behold, and we never used it for cocoa or anything else. It is an antique by now, and I think my oldest sister has it.

I believe it would have been used for just such an occasion as you mention, CP, in days gone by.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          For our big family, on a cold winter day, Momma would make a HUGE pot of potato soup and a huge pot of cocoa. For some reason, those two were almost always served together, and when I have potato soup, I always seem to want to have a good cup of cocoa with it. Maybe with some baby marshmallows floating in it.

But, yeah, when she would get that big tin can of Hershey's Cocoa down, I knew it was gonna be a great day!
          I liked Hershey's Cocoa so much as a kid that I once tried a mouthful of it straight.

THAT was a memorable experience.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I liked Hershey's Cocoa so much as a kid that I once tried a mouthful of it straight.

I think every kid must have tried that -- The old - "if a little is good, a LOT must be FANTASTIC" fallacy.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yup. We get samples once in a while when I purchase coffee from Keurig, and it just doesn't seem worth it. Big old canisters of hot chocolate mix (or even better, made with baking cocoa and sugar and hot milk, like before the war), and apple cider mix in canisters or packets are a lot cheaper.

I've been getting canisters of Apple cider mix for MelMak for Christmas for a few years now from the local Second Cup. Probably Starbucks or other coffe places have them, too.
              I use hot chocolate mix and milk. I tried using chocolate milk with the hot chocolate mix figuring it would be even richer but to my disappointment it wasn't the case. Regular milk (whole to 2%), for whatever reason seems best

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

Been there. Done that. Will not repeat.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

In order of usage, my favorite appliances are:

1. Refrigerator/Freezer
                  2. Stove/oven
                  3. Microwave

Gadgets are:
                  1. Vacuum sealer
                  2. Blender
                  3. Keurig

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    I use hot chocolate mix and milk. I tried using chocolate milk with the hot chocolate mix figuring it would be even richer but to my disappointment it wasn't the case.
                    Yeah, that was a bummer. There was some store brand of "dutch chocolate milk" that, when warmed up, was EXCELLENT by itself, but haven't been able to find in in ages -- Borden, maybe? But I agree - mixing the chocolate powder with chocolate milk was a disaster.

Regular milk (whole to 2%), for whatever reason seems best
                    Yup!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Been there. Done that. Will not repeat.
                      I remember as a kid deciding I wanted a square of the unsweetened baking chocolate Mom kept in the fridge.

Never did that again.

We used to mix a tbsp or so of unsweetened cocoa with some sugar in the bottom of a mug, Mom would heat milk on the stove, and give us a couple spoonsful in the mug, and we would stir it into a paste. Then she would pour the hot milk into the mugs.

Best hot chocolate ever!
                      Last edited by mossrose; 02-09-2015, 10:58 AM. Reason: Stupid iPad autocorrect

Comment

I remember as a kid deciding I wanted a square of the unsweetened baking chocolate Mom kept in the fridge.

Never did that again.

We used to mix a tbsp or so of unsweetened cocoa with some sugar in the bottom of a mug, Mom would heat milk on the stove, and give us a couple spoonsful in the mug, and we would stir it into a paste. Then she would pour the hot milk into the mugs.

Best hot chocolate ever!
                        And SOMEHOW Mom transformed some of that nasty tasting dark brown powder into some of the most wonderful fudge in the world!

Comment

Okay. Anyone else hungry now?

Comment

I am considering making some old-fashioned hot chocolate....

Comment

I am considering making some old-fashioned hot chocolate....
                              I'm considering remembering how. I bet the directions are still on the can, eh?

Comment

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X