Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

I'm Learning to Knit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've knitted...but I don't keep the scale right. My stitches end up too tight and there's a solid band of bare metal on my needles.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      You guys can get off topic faster than anybody I know.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I am on Ravelry as Quanta.
        I started out learning to knit and then learned naalbinding, crochet, and spinning, too. I make lots of naalbinding needles so if you want one to try it out, talk to me. There are people on Ravelry with lots of pictures of naalbinding projects. I am getting ready to try making drop spindles, too. I only have one completed and one that needs finishing so far.

Also, for some reason I don't like purling so I always knit back backwards instead. For things like entrelac people usually knit back backwards instead of turning to purl since the rows are super short but I do it EVERY time I would otherwise be purling a whole row, not just for entrelac. I can't figure out why I don't like purling. I knit in rounds whenever possible.

These days I mostly knit things out of necessity (tool cases for my woodworking tools, for instance) and not so much "just for fun" projects. I still find it rather relaxing, though. I am mostly naalbinding stuff anymore. Spinning in public will get you funny looks and a lot of questions from bystanders (fyi) but most people don't know enough about knitting and crochet to know that naalbinding is "weird" and you can do it in public and most people will assume you're knitting or crocheting and will leave you alone.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
          I've knitted...but I don't keep the scale right. My stitches end up too tight and there's a solid band of bare metal on my needles.
          Try ruffle scarves - you don't have to worry with the tension/scale and it seems to be good practice.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            I am on Ravelry as Quanta.
            I started out learning to knit and then learned naalbinding, crochet, and spinning, too. I make lots of naalbinding needles so if you want one to try it out, talk to me. There are people on Ravelry with lots of pictures of naalbinding projects. I am getting ready to try making drop spindles, too. I only have one completed and one that needs finishing so far.

Also, for some reason I don't like purling so I always knit back backwards instead. For things like entrelac people usually knit back backwards instead of turning to purl since the rows are super short but I do it EVERY time I would otherwise be purling a whole row, not just for entrelac. I can't figure out why I don't like purling. I knit in rounds whenever possible.

These days I mostly knit things out of necessity (tool cases for my woodworking tools, for instance) and not so much "just for fun" projects. I still find it rather relaxing, though. I am mostly naalbinding stuff anymore. Spinning in public will get you funny looks and a lot of questions from bystanders (fyi) but most people don't know enough about knitting and crochet to know that naalbinding is "weird" and you can do it in public and most people will assume you're knitting or crocheting and will leave you alone.

I have a friend who does naalbinding. Spinning isn't weird so much as the drop spindle is - most people have never seen one. They have only seen spinning wheels on TV. Mind you, a distaff would get similar looks, wheel or no.

Of course, I always get people asking me what I'm making when I knit in public - it's a Southern thang...
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I showed the lady who is teaching me my progress last night and she said I was ready to start a real project!

So, Rogue, make yourself useful and find me a video of casting off, thanks.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                I have a friend who does naalbinding. Spinning isn't weird so much as the drop spindle is - most people have never seen one. They have only seen spinning wheels on TV. Mind you, a distaff would get similar looks, wheel or no.

Of course, I always get people asking me what I'm making when I knit in public - it's a Southern thang...
                My sister spins and weaves and knits and beads, etc., etc., etc.

She belongs to a spinner/weaver guild and once a month takes her travelling wheel to the meetings where everybody is spinning. I was visiting with her once and went, too, and it was extremely interesting. I, of course, did not spin, but I took my lace knitting so I could feel like part of the group, too.

I have taken knitting with me a lot of places. The doctor's office, the hospital last year when mr. mossy was in for surgery, airplanes, anywhere I am sitting for longer than half an hour.

Most people will ask what I am knitting, and all seem to be amazed at the lace. It isn't so amazing really, when you realize it's just fine wool with a little larger needles and yarn overs and knit 2 togethers and so on. There are groups in almost every area that are "knitting in public" groups where they meet once a month or whatever. I haven't joined one, but then I am not afraid to knit in public anyway.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have a bag that lives in the car so I can take it with me wherever I'm likely to have time to knit. I have another that lives in the office - it's mostly there to act as a relaxation method when I feel the strong need to kill something...

It's probably a good thing that the one in the office always takes the longest time to finish...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I am still wondering how you are able to knit at all, Teal. I mean you have a ball of yarn and a house full of cats. It doesn't make sense that the yarn would last long enough to knit with.

Comment

I don't knit at home. Don't have time most evenings and it's too annoying to have a kitten trying to climb your work piece....

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I don't knit at home. Don't have time most evenings and it's too annoying to have a herd or two of kittens trying to climb your work piece....
                        FIFY n/c

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

kinda like this:

Comment

Find me that video!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Find me that video!

dang! Bossy!

OK here:

Comment

Not that one!

You two are useless...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment