Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Refrigerator: Replacement Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jars are a better alternative to canisters for long term storage simply because there's a better range of sizes. The canisters wod be good for frequently used items of course...
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
      Jars are a better alternative to canisters for long term storage simply because there's a better range of sizes. The canisters wod be good for frequently used items of course...
      Besides the obvious, of course, that you can actually see what's in a jar without opening it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

THE canisters are clear.

Comment

THE canisters are clear.
          Oh.

I'm thinking the metal containers my momma used for flour, sugar, coffee, tea, brown sugar....

canisters.jpgcanisters.jpg

Get it? CAN-isters?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Comment

the jar attachment only works with wide mouth jars. any size, but they have to be wide mouthed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Besides the obvious, of course, that you can actually see what's in a jar without opening it.
                ...unless the jars are made of porcelain, which storage jars often are.
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hey, Foodsaver has attachments for both regular and wide mouth jars.

Comment

Hm, I may end up with a freezer on top after all, but with lots of pretty drawers which my current model has none of. Forgot to check on the self defrosting....need to do that?

Comment

Hm, I may end up with a freezer on top after all, but with lots of pretty drawers which my current model has none of. Forgot to check on the self defrosting....need to do that?
                      My small upright freezer is not self defrosting. About twice a year, I allow the frozen contents to dwindle (by not buying new stuff and using what's in there) to a point where I can put the remaining contents in igloos, set the freezer on the back porch in the Texas sun, and in a couple hours, it's defrosted.

If you open and close it a lot, it's going to frost up faster.

Self defrosting, I think, is worth it.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not sure why I put a question mark there. Must have fat thumbed that one.

Comment

definitely recommend self defrosting.

Comment

I don't know that it's dying, at least not locally. Our Walmart has a healthy section of mason jars etc and a canner/cooker.
                            My experience suggests this is one of those things where the West Coast is its own world.
                            I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Yup, I use the marinating function - it helps to draw the marinade into the meat.
                              How?
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                                How?
                                It cycles through vacuuming the meat which opens the pores and lets the marinade penetrate, then releasing the vacuum and letting the meat go back to normal, and repeating that several times, then you seal it with a vacuum and put it in the fridge for a while till you are ready to cook.

It is like massaging the steak. Works good on chicken too.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X