Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    Not quite..... you shouldn't sniff glue or swallow methanol. And I don't think cigarettes are any good either....
    Oh, come on. You know I was referring to food.

Good grief.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      EGGzackly!!! Speaking of which, eggs are high in cholesterol, so don't eat them... um... strike that....
      The cholesterol in eggs is mostly the good kind, LD cholesterol - I read somewhere.
      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Good grief.
        Food is good.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Not quite..... you shouldn't sniff glue or swallow methanol. And I don't think cigarettes are any good either....
          But you did say "everything"
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

But you did say "everything"
            We need a " Bah Humbug" button.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Good grief.
              To be fair the same thing crossed my mind as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The way my doctor told me is that sodium and potassium work together to balance the amount of water in your cells. Too much salt and your body retains water. Potassium can help to remove water, but too much potassium can give you a heart attack. So don't take potassium to counteract sodium. Although salt substitutes usually do contain potassium.

My doctor said most normal people should only eat about 2,000 to 3,000 mg of sodium a day, but most eat 4-5K per day. If you have healthy kidneys, it will remove the excess salt, unless you overload them.

of course he could have just been lying to me to steal all of my bacon.

Comment

I discovered Himalayan salt a couple months ago, salt that's mined and has a pinkish-red color. The reason I tried it originally was that I'd heard it's supposedly better health-wise than regular table salt, or even sea salt. I haven't noticed any difference in my health since using this salt (I've tried many things for my gut problem, and none of them have made any noticeable difference), but I can say this: Himalayan salt tastes better. I can't describe it, but it honestly tastes superior to the white salt. It's still salt, and tastes like salt, but somehow it just has a superior salt flavor to it.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    I discovered Himalayan salt a couple months ago, salt that's mined and has a pinkish-red color. The reason I tried it originally was that I'd heard it's supposedly better health-wise than regular table salt, or even sea salt. I haven't noticed any difference in my health since using this salt (I've tried many things for my gut problem, and none of them have made any noticeable difference), but I can say this: Himalayan salt tastes better. I can't describe it, but it honestly tastes superior to the white salt. It's still salt, and tastes like salt, but somehow it just has a superior salt flavor to it.
                    I like sea salt. But I generally don't add salt to anything, except maybe as a very small sprinkle here and there. Most food already has enough salt for my tastes. I do like to put black pepper on just about everything. Lots and lots of black pepper.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      It
                      has more trace elements in it which gives it more flavor.
                      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It
                        has more trace elements in it which gives it more flavor.
                        Wrong!!!!

It is soaked in the blood of yetis'. That is what gives it its pink color and unusual flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Does that including doing things in moderation?

It isn't always science:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15827[/ATTACH]
                          How many thousands of times does this need to be posted until people here get it.
                          I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                            How many thousands of times does this need to be posted until people here get it.
                            four foot one.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              OK, this is my classic example of "leadership" on health....

When I was a kid, I was told in 5th grade health class to make sure I got enough iodized salt, or I would get goiter. They showed us horrible pictures of people with big growths on their throats, and I knew I didn't want to end up like that!

At a summer job in a steel factory, I was told "be sure to take salt tablets" and drink lots of water.

Then came the "salt will kill you", and the parade of "low sodium", "reduced sodium" and so on.

NOW, the Daily Mail (yeah, I know, it should only be used as toilet paper ) tells me if I don't use salt I'll have a heart attack!

What's the SCIENCE on salt consumption?

Eating too LITTLE salt may INCREASE your risk of a heart attack or stroke, claims controversial new research

And, yes, I note the word "controversial" prior to "new research"
                              Ignore the controversial. You need to pay more attention to keywords like "is linked to". You'll see this in a lot of reports on food. The reason? We can't isolate specific causes most of the time. We can list all the factors we know about and see what shows up as possible common denominators. That's what "is linked to" means: they found a common occurrence.

There's a significant difference between correlation and causation. News reports on food studies make it sound like causation, when the studies themselves rarely go beyond correlation.

Short of having consultations with registered dietitians about your typical diet in conjunction with information from various blood tests, you're not going to find reliable information on what you "should" be eating. You need something tailored to your physical health, not general concepts.
                              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

I track my meals and sodium intake with an app called MyFitnessPal. Looks like my average sodium intake per day is about 2.5g

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X