Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
    Oh good, a Gary clone.

You need an argument. And saying "superstition" is not an argument. Fundy atheism 101 didn't teach you that, now did it?
    Stein,

It is obvious reading Keener's book that the Christian evidence for miracles today, and miracles in the past, rests almost entirely on eyewitness testimony. "If hundreds of millions of eyewitnesses testify to the reality of miracles, they can't all be wrong, can they?"

Although eyewitness testimony has served a crucial role in the courts of law for millennia, modern science has shown just how unreliable eyewitness testimony can be. Therefore, asking us to believe that a small handful of first century peasants saw a literal walking/talking dead body, based on stories in four anonymous ancient books, written decades after the alleged event, two and maybe three of those books borrowing heavily from the first, is just NOT good evidence.

It is very, very, very poor evidence. We would never believe such a wild claim today based on this very weak evidence. Yet Christians have built their entire lives around this ancient ghost sighting!

You are all under a delusion. I am trying to help you see that. And for that reason, I am reading your books.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      And you are proving mine. In the modern world, there is no difference between making the claim for the reality of a reanimated/resurrected, walking/talking dead body and the reality of mermaids, sea monsters, and ghosts. The only evidence for any of these entities is eyewitness testimony, which modern science has shown to be incredibly unreliable.
      I though the quotes from studies you brought forth (about the unreliability of eyewitness testimony to identify criminals from other races) proved more the interchangeable-ness with which we identify people from races different than our own, rather than the general unreliability of eyewitness itself (as applicable to miracle claims)?

Isn't that extrapolating valid conclusions to unwanted extremes? Imagine your world if you treated all eyewitness testimony with the level of skepticism you would treat the witness of an old caucasian lady saying the black boy standing in the corner is the same guy who robbed her wallet the other day.

Please note this has nothing to do with defending fairy-believers and whatnot (lol), but your own methodology as seen from what you have brought to this thread.

Edit: I will add that I find amusing the idea Mr. Gary seems to have of 3rd World nations. As Mr. Nick et al have said repeatedly, what you regard as "modern 1st world scientific knowledge" is common knowledge and it's been shown the ancients also had this common knowledge to a large enough extent. You seem to have a very low view of us 3rd World-ers. I would be insulted if it wasn't so hilarious!!
      Last edited by Bisto; 04-05-2016, 02:20 PM.
      We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
      - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
      In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
      Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Obviously you don't.

Thanks for proving my point on atheistic presuppositionalism.
        It's not atheistic presuppositionalism, it's clear, well accepted common knowledge that he presented.
        "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
          Oh good, a Gary clone.

You need an argument. And saying "superstition" is not an argument. Fundy atheism 101 didn't teach you that, now did it?
          Did you read any of my posts?
          "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
            I though the quotes from studies you brought forth (about the unreliability of eyewitness testimony to identify criminals from other races) proved more the interchangeable-ness with which we identify people from races different than our own, rather than the general unreliability of eyewitness itself (as applicable to miracle claims)?

Isn't that extrapolating valid conclusions to unwanted extremes? Imagine your world if you treated all eyewitness testimony with the level of skepticism you would treat the witness of an old caucasian lady saying the black boy standing in the corner is the same guy who robbed her wallet the other day.

Please note this has nothing to do with defending fairy-believers and whatnot (lol), but your own methodology as seen from what you have brought to this thread.

Edit: I will add that I find amusing the idea Mr. Gary seems to have of 3rd World nations. As Mr. Nick et al have said repeatedly, what you regard as "modern 1st world scientific knowledge" is common knowledge and it's been shown the ancients also had this common knowledge to a large enough extent. You seem to have a very low view of us 3rd World-ers. I would be insulted if it wasn't so hilarious!!
            Wrong. You are misquoting me. I have a low regard for the eyewitness testimony regarding supernatural events from superstitious, uneducated Third World peasants (and minimally educated First World "peasants"). I have a high regard for all educated, informed people, regardless of nationality, culture, or race.
            Last edited by Gary; 04-05-2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Wrong. You are misquoting me. I have a low regard for the eyewitness testimony regarding supernatural events from uneducated Third World peasants (and minimally educated First World "peasants"). I have a high regard for all educated, informed people, regardless of nationality.
              By Bisto's logic, Muhammad's revelation is just as reliable as the Gospels because the same common knowledge existed in 7th century Arabia.

Comment

• Originally posted by Secular Liberation View Post
                It's not atheistic presuppositionalism, it's clear, well accepted common knowledge that he presented.
                Common knowledge meaning "Things commonly accepted by atheists."

Comment

No, it is called agnostic/atheistic rationalism. We believe in the reality of concepts and entities based on empirical evidence, not based on faith in the unreliable eyewitness testimony, of superstitious, uneducated Third World (and first century) peasants!
                  You're doing a better job demonstrating my point than you realize.

Comment

Wrong. You are misquoting me. I have a low regard for the eyewitness testimony regarding supernatural events from superstitious, uneducated Third World peasants (and minimally educated First World "peasants"). I have a high regard for all educated, informed people, regardless of nationality, culture, or race.
                    I see. I apologize for the misquote

Well, for my part, I haven't seen anything particularly weird about the "uneducated Third World peasants" I have come to know through recent years since my family and I moved to a countryside region. Or maybe my eyewitness about them is unreliable itself, you never know .
                    We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                      Common knowledge meaning "Things commonly accepted by atheists."
                      So only atheists know that people in poverty will accept miracles like a statue of Jesus bleeding or Cheeto Jesus because they lack proper education to know a fraud when they see one? Glad your honest on our tendency of intellectual superiority and Christendom's lack thereof.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                        I see. I apologize for the misquote

Well, for my part, I haven't seen anything particularly weird about the "uneducated Third World peasants" I have come to know through recent years since my family and I moved to a countryside region. Or maybe my eyewitness about them is unreliable itself, you never know .
                        I will post several links below which demonstrate just how unreliable eyewitness testimony can be:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-eyes-have-it/

"Eyewitness misidentification is the greatest contributing factor to wrongful convictions proven by DNA testing, playing a role in more than 70% of convictions overturned through DNA testing nationwide."

Source: http://www.innocenceproject.org/caus...identification

the mere fault of being human results in distorted memory and inaccurate testimony."

Source: http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue...er&tversky.htm

"Iowa State University experimental social psychologist Gary Wells, PhD, a member of a 1999 U.S. Department of Justice panel that published the first-ever national guidelines on gathering eyewitness testimony, says Loftus's model suggests that crime investigators need to think about eyewitness evidence in the same way that they think about trace evidence. Like trace evidence, eyewitness evidence can be contaminated, lost, destroyed or otherwise made to produce results that can lead to an incorrect reconstruction of the crime," he says. Investigators who employ a scientific model to collect, analyze and interpret eyewitness evidence may avoid incidents like Olson's potentially flawed identification of the Fairbanks suspects, he notes."

Source: http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr06/eyewitness.aspx

"Australian eyewitness expert Donald Thomson appeared on a live TV discussion about the unreliability of eyewitness memory. He was later arrested, placed in a lineup and identified by a victim as the man who had raped her. The police charged Thomson although the rape had occurred at the time he was on TV. They dismissed his alibi that he was in plain view of a TV audience and in the company of the other discussants, including an assistant commissioner of police. The policeman taking his statement sneered, "Yes, I suppose you've got Jesus Christ, and the Queen of England, too." Eventually, the investigators discovered that the rapist had attacked the woman as she was watching TV - the very program on which Thompson had appeared. Authorities eventually cleared Thomson. The woman had confused the rapist's face with the face that she had seen on TV. (Baddeley, 2004). "

Source: http://www.visualexpert.com/Resource...essmemory.html
                        Last edited by Gary; 04-05-2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

So only atheists know that people in poverty will accept miracles like a statue of Jesus bleeding or Cheeto Jesus because they lack proper education to know a fraud when they see one? Glad your honest on our tendency of intellectual superiority and Christendom's lack thereof.
                          Missing the point again. Wanna try again?

Comment

By Bisto's logic, Muhammad's revelation is just as reliable as the Gospels because the same common knowledge existed in 7th century Arabia.
                            Hello friend, it's very nice to meet you. My name is Isaac. Who are thou?

I personally couldn't say, I have very little knowledge of Islam. I guess I'll look into it in some years. Could you clarify your statement please? Thanks!

Comment

I will post several links below which demonstrate just how unreliable eyewitness testimony can be:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-eyes-have-it/

"Eyewitness misidentification is the greatest contributing factor to wrongful convictions proven by DNA testing, playing a role in more than 70% of convictions overturned through DNA testing nationwide."

Source: http://www.innocenceproject.org/caus...identification

the mere fault of being human results in distorted memory and inaccurate testimony."

Source: http://agora.stanford.edu/sjls/Issue...er&tversky.htm

"Iowa State University experimental social psychologist Gary Wells, PhD, a member of a 1999 U.S. Department of Justice panel that published the first-ever national guidelines on gathering eyewitness testimony, says Loftus's model suggests that crime investigators need to think about eyewitness evidence in the same way that they think about trace evidence. Like trace evidence, eyewitness evidence can be contaminated, lost, destroyed or otherwise made to produce results that can lead to an incorrect reconstruction of the crime," he says. Investigators who employ a scientific model to collect, analyze and interpret eyewitness evidence may avoid incidents like Olson's potentially flawed identification of the Fairbanks suspects, he notes."

Source: http://www.apa.org/monitor/apr06/eyewitness.aspx
                              But those links do the same as the previous ones: they show the problems in eyewitness identification of criminals. No problem with that. But to what point can we legitimately extend those conclusions?

I remember reading this study on the evaluation of eyewitness reliability (or lack thereof) behind the Gospel stories: http://www.christianthinktank.com/mqfx.html but I don't have the time to make particular points from it. As one who reads the links you provide here, I say you might want to check it out, it won't cost you money like Keener's book.

Comment

• As I demonstrated above, eyewitness testimony can be very unreliable today, when most people have at least a high school education. The disciples of Jesus were uneducated. It is highly unlikely that any of them had any formal schooling. And we know that people of that culture believed in ghosts from the story about seeing Jesus walking on water. The disciples initially thought he was a ghost. So we have a small group of poorly educated, ghost-seeing fishermen claiming to see a walking/talking dead guy.

These guys were not quality witnesses.

No one with an education should buy their tall tale.

Comment