Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    OBP. You forgot his other argument. Incredulity.
    No. Nick, you still don't get it. Just because there is no evidence to explain a first century missing body, other than a supernatural tale of divine body reanimation, does NOT mean that we are obligated to believe the supernatural claim is true. Extra-ordinary claims demand extra-ordinary evidence. Generalizations, assumptions, and the opinions of Christian Bible scholars regarding the believability of this supernatural tale are NOT extra-ordinary evidence.

It's a ridiculous, silly, ancient tall tale that no modern, educated person should believe.

Comment

• Let me know when you're ready to deal with my actual case instead of the straw man representation of it.

Comment

Let me know when you're ready to deal with my actual case instead of the straw man representation of it.
        That's the problem. You don't have a case, Nick. You don't have any eyewitness statements. All you have is hearsay from twenty centuries ago. Ancient hearsay evidence for an alleged once-in-history, never heard of before or since, supernatural/magical event.

The odds that Martians moved the body are higher than that an ancient middle-eastern deity moved the body.

It's preposterous and silly.

And I believe that that is the best line of attack to defeat this ancient, deadly superstition. Continue to point out, over and over again, just how ridiculous and superstitious it is. We skeptics may not change your mind, but by repeatedly getting this message out on the internet, we will hopefully help your grandchildren avoid falling prey to this bigoted, discriminatory, exclusionist, superstitious, hate-inciting nonsense.

The next great milestone in human development will be the abandonment of belief in the supernatural.
        Last edited by Gary; 02-16-2016, 12:12 AM.

Comment

• So the best way is to keep going with atheistic presuppositionalism you have no case for while accusing Christians that they have no case and basing such straw men on misrepresenting them and refusing to read scholarship that disagrees with you.

Okay.....

Comment

I don't recognize my argument at all in that drivel Gary posted.
            And when called on it, he attempts to put others on the defensive by hurling insults rather than making a better argument. Funny, I thought he didn't like insults.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• OBP. You forget Gary's rule. It's okay when he insults. It's not okay when others do. It's okay when he asserts something without evidence. It's not okay when others (supposedly) do. It's okay when he makes a generalization statement about miracles that he cannot back. It's not okay when we make a generalization statement about the ancient biblical culture that we can back by pointing to the leading works of scholars.

Gary lives in a strange world.

Comment

OBP. You forget Gary's rule. It's okay when he insults. It's not okay when others do. It's okay when he asserts something without evidence. It's not okay when others (supposedly) do. It's okay when he makes a generalization statement about miracles that he cannot back. It's not okay when we make a generalization statement about the ancient biblical culture that we can back by pointing to the leading works of scholars.

Gary lives in a strange world.
                I am calling your bluff, Nickster. YOUR SCHOLARS HAVE ZERO EVIDENCE FOR THE SUPERNATURAL.

You scholars can tell me:

---It would be very rare for Jews to move a body. But I already agree with that.
                ---It would be very rare for any Jew to believe in a dying/rising Messiah. But I already agree with that.

So what more will I learn reading more scholar's books? Answer: More evidence of just how sincerely early Christians believed that a dead man had come back to life and that he was the Son of God. But I already believe that!

So admit your con, Nick: The only reason you want me to read more books is a desperate attempt to get me to believe in magic. Breaking news, Nick: Your scholars are not experts in magic. Your scholars cannot prove that a dead body was reanimated by magic. Your scholars cannot prove that a dead body appeared to multiple people in the flesh by magic. Your scholars cannot prove that this dead body flew off into outer space by magic.

Your scholars are NOT experts in magic---the supernatural, Nick. Give it up and admit it.

Magic is not real, Nick.
                Magic is not real, Nick.
                Magic is not real, Nick.

Keep repeating that sentence, Nick, and hopefully it will penetrate your brainwashed brain.
                Last edited by Gary; 02-16-2016, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• The more I read what Gary says, the more I think of the joke of the pastor writing out his sermon outline for Sunday and putting on the side "Weak point: Pound pulpit harder."

Gary is just someone who thinks you can dismiss an entire worldview and all the thinking behind it just by saying "magic!"

Oh by the way, keep in mind while he's mocking this, he's open to miracles.

Please keep up your evangelism Gary. You're doing a whole lot to promote Christianity.

Comment

The more I read what Gary says, the more I think of the joke of the pastor writing out his sermon outline for Sunday and putting on the side "Weak point: Pound pulpit harder."

Gary is just someone who thinks you can dismiss an entire worldview and all the thinking behind it just by saying "magic!"

Oh by the way, keep in mind while he's mocking this, he's open to miracles.

Please keep up your evangelism Gary. You're doing a whole lot to promote Christianity.
                    Let me dispel once and for all Nick's claim that thousands of miracles are happening all over the world, thereby confirming the existence and probability of miracles.

---How many amputees have had their severed arm or leg reattached after praying to Jesus?

Answer: NONE!

---How many times has a family prayed to Jesus to heal/resuscitate their decapitated loved one and had their prayer answered by Jesus?

Answer: ZERO!

So why doesn't Jesus heal amputees or resuscitate decapitees? There are three possibilities:

1. It is never Jesus' will to heal amputees or decapitees.
                    2. Jesus doesn't have enough power to heal the tough cases.
                    3. Jesus is dead. The only "miracles" that can be attributed to him are those that have alternative (much more probable) naturalistic explanations.

Miracle claims are a sham by con artists and snake oil salesmen, believed mostly by superstitious, gullible, minimally educated simpletons.
                    Last edited by Gary; 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• Read Keener yet?

Gary is really open to evidence. Won't read the best work against his view and still insists he's right.

Pound that pulpit!

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        Let me dispel once and for all Nick's claim that thousands of miracles are happening all over the world, thereby confirming the existence and probability of miracles.

---How many amputees have had their severed arm or leg reattached after praying to Jesus?

---How many times has a family prayed to Jesus to heal/resuscitate their decapitated loved one and had their prayer answered by Jesus?

So why doesn't Jesus heal amputees or resuscitate decapitees? There are three possibilities:

1. It is never Jesus' will to heal amputees or decapitees.
                        2. Jesus doesn't have enough power to heal the tough cases.
                        3. Jesus is dead. The only "miracles" that can be attributed to him are those that have alternative (much more probable) naturalistic explanations.

Miracle claims are a sham by con artists and snake oil salesmen, believed mostly by superstitious, gullible, minimally educated simpletons.
                        Source: Catholic Encyclopedia

Maddened by a disappointed passion, Caradoc pursued [Winifrede] and, overtaking her on the slope above the site of the present well, he drew his sword and at one blow severed her head from the body. The head rolled down the incline and, where it rested, there gushed forth a spring. St. Beuno, hearing of the tragedy, left the altar, and accompanied by the parents came to the spot where the head lay beside the spring. Taking up the maiden's head he carried it to where the body lay, covered both with his cloak, and then re-entered the church to finish the Holy Sacrifice. When Mass was ended he knelt beside the saint's body, offered up a fervent prayer to God, and ordered the cloak which covered it to be removed. Thereupon Winefride, as if awakening from a deep slumber, rose up with no sign of the severance of the head except a thin white circle round her neck.

© Copyright Original Source

source

I'm sure you'll ignore that, like you do with any other contrary evidence.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• "There's no evidence of miracles!"

"Well here's an account of a miracle!"

"That source can't be valid because miracles don't happen!"

"And how do you know they don't happen?"

"No evidence of them!"

"But this is evidence..."

"And it doesn't count!"

"Why not?"

"Because miracles don't happen!"

This is what arguing with Gary is like.

Comment

Read Keener yet?

Gary is really open to evidence. Won't read the best work against his view and still insists he's right.

Pound that pulpit!
                            Are there any cases of amputees or decapitees being healed in Keener's book, Nick? If not, it is a waste of any educated person's time to read thousands of anecdotal cases about "miracles" that can be ascribed to natural causes. I am a doctor, Nick. I know the criteria in the medical field for believing in a "cure". You don't. You are not a physician yet you are trying to tell me that you know the correct criteria for evaluating such claims.

You don't know what you are talking about, Nick. If you presented your argument to any specialty group of physicians they would laugh you out the door as a silly, ignorant, superstitious, country bumpkin.

Stop making a fool of yourself, Nick.

If you want to believe in the supernatural, by faith, go right ahead. But stop trying to prove their existence with anecdotal "evidence". It is uneducated and ignorant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                              Are there any cases of amputees or decapitees being healed in Keener's book, Nick? If not, it is a waste of any educated person's time to read thousands of anecdotal cases about "miracles" that can be ascribed to natural causes. I am a doctor, Nick. I know the criteria in the medical field for believing in a "cure". You don't. You are not a physician yet you are trying to tell me that you know the correct criteria for evaluating such claims.
                              Me no doctor. Me obviously too stupid to recognize cure! Only doctors can recognize cures!

You don't know what you are talking about, Nick. If you presented your argument to any specialty group of physicians they would laugh you out the door as a silly, ignorant, superstitious, country bumpkin.

Stop making a fool of yourself, Nick.

If you want to believe in the supernatural, by faith, go right ahead. But stop trying to prove their existence with anecdotal "evidence". It is uneducated and ignorant.
                              That must be why so many of the miracles do have medical documentation.

You could try reading it, but that would require you thinking and engaging with a book that contradicts your worldview and you have to stay insulated in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                Source: Catholic Encyclopedia

Maddened by a disappointed passion, Caradoc pursued [Winifrede] and, overtaking her on the slope above the site of the present well, he drew his sword and at one blow severed her head from the body. The head rolled down the incline and, where it rested, there gushed forth a spring. St. Beuno, hearing of the tragedy, left the altar, and accompanied by the parents came to the spot where the head lay beside the spring. Taking up the maiden's head he carried it to where the body lay, covered both with his cloak, and then re-entered the church to finish the Holy Sacrifice. When Mass was ended he knelt beside the saint's body, offered up a fervent prayer to God, and ordered the cloak which covered it to be removed. Thereupon Winefride, as if awakening from a deep slumber, rose up with no sign of the severance of the head except a thin white circle round her neck.

© Copyright Original Source

source

I'm sure you'll ignore that, like you do with any other contrary evidence.
                                Yes, and King Arthur, the Knights of the Round Table, and dragons are real too.

Comment