Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
    Gary, friend, let me just say I find it hilarious how you transformed the story that Mr. Raphael told into something you could handily repeat at a Skeptics 101 class. Not as funny as your paraphrases of the Resurrection events or abducted cow fables, but close

Sure, there probably are coincidences in some miracle claims, but ALL of them? Really? I'm still intrigued with how you are willing to believe such a complex network of coincidences, luck and whatnot to reject all miracle claims using such methodological handwaves. You ARE aware that the probability of such a conspiracy-level theory sinks further every day that passes by as more "coincidental" healings and else happen around the world. And you ARE aware there is a point when waving it all away would become statistically untenable and you would have to give up.
    Gary's already on record as stating:
    Originally posted by Gary View Post
    If good evidence for any of these metaphysical claims is presented to me, I will reconsider my position. But until then, I am on automatic pilot to "ignore all".
    In other words, since he's ignoring every claim individually, there can be no stacking of claims such that the probability of them happening will grow.
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      You are such a hypocrite:

Gary: What a loony, Keener recommends respect for third world folk medicine.
      Adrift: You recommend/practice third world folk medicine.
      Gary: Shut up idiot! Keener is intelligent and investigates his claims. Stop bearing false witness!

Unbelievable.
      And you are an uninformed ignoramus. I'll go back to ignoring you.
      Last edited by Gary; 04-04-2016, 10:23 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Gary, when, e.g., someone who was paralyzed from birth suddenly starts walking at age 4 after prayer, the odds of coincidence are miniscule.
        Present the evidence for such a case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
          Gary, friend, let me just say I find it hilarious how you transformed the story that Mr. Raphael told into something you could handily repeat at a Skeptics 101 class. Not as funny as your paraphrases of the Resurrection events or abducted cow fables, but close

Sure, there probably are coincidences in some miracle claims, but ALL of them? Really? I'm still intrigued with how you are willing to believe such a complex network of coincidences, luck and whatnot to reject all miracle claims using such methodological handwaves. You ARE aware that the probability of such a conspiracy-level theory sinks further every day that passes by as more "coincidental" healings and else happen around the world. And you ARE aware there is a point when waving it all away would become statistically untenable and you would have to give up.
          This is another major false assumption of Christians: that most skeptics believe that the disciples constructed elaborate conspiracies/lies and that people today who believe in miracles are lying. Not at all. Most skeptics believe that most Christians are very sincere in their beliefs. We simply believe that they are mistaken.

Again, I believe that the cause for the belief in miracles is random/intermittent positive reinforcement. Mr. Keener admits that in Asia, Africa, and Latin America a very high percentage of the population believes in miracle healings. Therefore if a very high percentage of people are praying for miracles there is a much higher probability that a spontaneous health recovery is going to occur in close proximity to a prayer for healing. Every time this happens, people who already believe in miracles are going to receive positive reinforcement to believe in miracles even more. People in these areas of the world readily admit that prayer doesn't always work. In fact, they admit that healings due to prayer are relatively infrequent, rare, intermittent. But when they "hit", their belief in the power of prayer is reinforced and another "miracle" is claimed.

In chapter 8, Keener briefly mentions cases of people being dead for several hours and then coming back to life due to prayer. If this occurred every time that Christians prayed for a dead person to be raised from the dead, that would be very impressive evidence of the power of prayer. However, even Keener admits that "raisings from the dead" occur very rarely. So if every time or most times that a Christian dies in these areas of the world, the Christians pray for God to raise the person from the dead, "if it is His will", and once in a great while the person wakes up out of a comma a few hours after being thought to be dead, the belief in the power of prayer will be reinforced, instead of seeing that this is simply a rare, but natural health recovery.
          Last edited by Gary; 04-04-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
            Present the evidence for such a case.
            I don't have much more than that. It happened in Russia, after the child was anointed with myrrh from a streaming icon of Mary. I know, you'll dismiss it because it didn't happen in front of you with doctor's exams before and after. The icon, of the style "softener of evil hearts" has been streaming myrrh since 1998. The owner of the icon travels with it frequently in Russia (he lives just outside of Moscow, and is a former serviceman) and around the world (I saw it last Friday evening), and often hears reports of miraculous cures when he subsequently returns to a location.
            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't have much more than that. It happened in Russia, after the child was anointed with myrrh from a streaming icon of Mary. I know, you'll dismiss it because it didn't happen in front of you with doctor's exams before and after. The icon, of the style "softener of evil hearts" has been streaming myrrh since 1998. The owner of the icon travels with it frequently in Russia (he lives just outside of Moscow, and is a former serviceman) and around the world (I saw it last Friday evening), and often hears reports of miraculous cures when he subsequently returns to a location.
              Does the owner of the icon receive any financial compensation for displaying the icon?

Yes, I need to see evidence, not just anecdotal claims. I want to see the child's medical records before and after the alleged healing.

Comment

• The new movie Miracles from Heaven seems to document a case in Texas of an undeniable miracle three years ago. All parties involved are still alive (and except for one, not too young to be very credible).
                Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

Gary's already on record as stating:

In other words, since he's ignoring every claim individually, there can be no stacking of claims such that the probability of them happening will grow.
                  Just because millions of people once believed that praying to a rain god would produce rain, and often when they prayed it would rain shortly thereafter, within a few days, should we then "stack" all the cases of attributing rain to praying to rain gods together in order to make the existence of rain gods more probable??

Comment

And you are an uninformed ignoramus. I'll go back to ignoring you.
                    Yeah, let's see how long it lasts this time. I have little faith in your self-control.

Comment

• Let's imagine a community of 10,000 Christians somewhere in Asia. This group of Christians, like most people in their culture, are big believers in the supernatural and miracles. Every time someone in the Christian community is sick, they pray for healing. Every time that some one in the community dies, they pray that if it is God's will, that God raise the person from the dead.

However, hundreds of Christians in the community get sick and some die every year, even though prayers for healing/raising are made for them. However, once in a rare while, someone has an amazing health recovery, and even more rarely, someone "comes back to life" after being thought dead. These people too had been prayed for.

Should we attribute these rare health recoveries and even rarer life recoveries to prayer?

Answer: We can't say because it is also possible that these recoveries were random chance.

If Christians in the community ALWAYS recovered from illness (and death) whenever a prayer was said for them, then we could assume that the likely cause of the recovery was the power of prayer. But since the recoveries are so rare and so random, it is very possible that they are nothing more than coincidence. If Christians never prayed for someone to be raised from the dead, but in one instance they did, and a recovery occurred, this would be stronger evidence for the power of prayer, but is this the case?

Bottom line: If every time someone is sick or someone dies, prayers for healing/recovery are always made, rare recoveries cannot be attributed automatically to prayer, as they may just be random health recoveries/recoveries from comas that would have occurred without prayer.

Comment

Does the owner of the icon receive any financial compensation for displaying the icon?
                        He receives donations. It costs money to travel, and he had to build a chapel for it outside his home because displaying it there became too disruptive and there wasn't enough room for everyone who wanted to see it. I'm not sure I'd want one of my icons to start streaming myrrh. While wonderful, it would turn my life upside down.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Adam View Post
                          The new movie Miracles from Heaven seems to document a case in Texas of an undeniable miracle three years ago. All parties involved are still alive (and except for one, not too young to be very credible).
                          I'll check the reviews.

Comment

He receives donations. It costs money to travel, and he had to build a chapel for it outside his home because displaying it there became too disruptive and there wasn't enough room for everyone who wanted to see it. I'm not sure I'd want one of my icons to start streaming myrrh. While wonderful, it would turn my life upside down.
                            But if you are a very devout believer, it could become the focal point of your life; give your life great purpose; therefore this could be a strong motivator; also, if one is poor or not well off, the additional income could be a big help.

Scientists have tested some "crying icons" and found that the owner regularly places oil below the eyes of the image. When the church warms up, the oil begins to run and voila: tears! I'm not saying this is what is going on with your icon, but I would want it tested by independent scientists before believing the tears are real tears.

Comment

But if you are a very devout believer, it could become the focal point of your life; give your life great purpose; therefore this could be a strong motivator; also, if one is poor or not well off, the additional income could be a big help.

Scientists have tested some "crying icons" and found that the owner regularly places oil below the eyes of the image. When the church warms up, the oil begins to run and voila: tears! I'm not saying this is what is going on with your icon, but I would want it tested by independent scientists before believing the tears are real tears.
                              That would have to be a pretty cold starting temperature for that trick to work. Also, the streaming icons I've seen exude myrrh from the entire surface of the icon, front and back (and in much more abundant quantity). The streaming icon I'm most familiar with was doubted by the owner for the first couple days; he wiped it down just in case it was just residual moisture from when another streaming icon was touched to it. On feast days, it streams so heavily that myrrh is running off the icon in sheets. And it has been tested for fraudulence; the owner had no desire to perpetrate a fraud.
                              sigpic

Comment

That would have to be a pretty cold starting temperature for that trick to work. Also, the streaming icons I've seen exude myrrh from the entire surface of the icon, front and back (and in much more abundant quantity). The streaming icon I'm most familiar with was doubted by the owner for the first couple days; he wiped it down just in case it was just residual moisture from when another streaming icon was touched to it. On feast days, it streams so heavily that myrrh is running off the icon in sheets. And it has been tested for fraudulence; the owner had no desire to perpetrate a fraud.
                                "the owner had no desire to perpetrate a fraud"

You are making an assumption, friend.

My wife's family in Central America knows a guy who goes around to Catholic Churches in the United States raising money for poor children in Central America. He takes pictures and videos of the poor children. He takes videos of him giving the poor children clothes and food. Problem is: It's a scam. The man pockets all the money he raises. He never gives anything to poor children. The videos are staged. However, all the churches in the US think this man is a saint!

There are a lot of con artists in the world.

Comment