Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not kicking anyone out. Anyone can say whatever they want. But I'm only going to engage Stein.

Comment

• Stein,

We agree that the earliest Christians believed that they had "seen" Jesus alive again after his crucifixion. I do not believe that anyone made this up. I believe that these people were very sincere in their belief of a "resurrection". But the question is: What did they actually see? Did they see a bright light, similar to Paul? Did they see an apparition similar to what many Catholics even today claim to see of the Virgin Mary? I believe that Paul sincerely believed that five hundred people saw Jesus at the same time in the same place....but what did they see exactly??

Answer: We don't know! We have no known eyewitness testimony other than Paul's and he specifically says that all he saw was a talking bright light...in a vision! Did the five hundred in the First Corinthians 15 Creed only see a bright light that they assumed was Jesus? We don't know! We don't know because we have no eyewitness testimony. All we have is hearsay.

Without any eyewitness statements, all we can say is that someone or "someones" thought they had seen Jesus...in some fashion.
      Last edited by Gary; 02-18-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
        I'm not kicking anyone out. Anyone can say whatever they want. But I'm only going to engage Stein.
        Run away, brave Sir Robin.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

You are not a scholar. You are a foul-mouthed fundamentalist, Florida preacher whose reputation on the internet would shame any other Christian. I have no interest in addressing you or your silly theory any further. The fact that no respected NT scholar uses your theory to any major extent to verify the Resurrection is proof that it is utter fundamentalist nonsense.
          chicken.jpg

Good boy, run like a coward. Here's my "reputation" small fry:

http://www.tektonics.org/jpholding.html

How many million-copy selling books and peer reviewed journal articles have cited YOUR work, moron?

Oh, as for anyone using "my" theory:

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Scandals...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Nice heaping plate of crow for the chicken!

Comment

• Originally posted by jpholding View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]13395[/ATTACH]

Good boy, run like a coward. Here's my "reputation" small fry:

http://www.tektonics.org/jpholding.html

How many million-copy selling books and peer reviewed journal articles have cited YOUR work, moron?

Oh, as for anyone using "my" theory:

http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Scandals...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Nice heaping plate of crow for the chicken!
            You may have a "reputation" on Tektonics but on the internet you have the reputation of being a foul-mouthed fundamentalist who prefers to debate with non-stop, condescending, personal insults rather than civil discussion and debate. Your internet reputation is no better than that of a foul-mouthed junior high school bully.

I'm not biting.

If you do a google search for the name JP Holding, this is the first thing that pops up:

James Patrick Holding (born 1968, real name Robert Turkel, usually referred to as J. P. Holding) is an ex-prison librarian[1], cartoonist, and Christian apologist known best for founding and managing Tekton Education and Apologetic Ministries.

Contents [hide]
            1 About J. P.
            2 Tekton Ministry Website
            3 Books
            5 Youtube 5.1 Interactions with other YouTubers

6 See also
            7 External links
            8 Footnotes

[edit] About J. P.

J. P. Holding is a Christian minister who lives in Florida with his wife and a rescued poodle.[2] He earned a Master's degree in library science and describes himself as "trained to look things up and answer questions."[3] Amongst laypeople this is also known as "typing a question in to Google."

Even though he is a Christian, he claims he does not set out to convert people.[4] Instead, he claims, he is presenting facts and clearing up misunderstandings, such as biblical contradictions and scientific errors. He claims to be explaining the history of Judaism and Christianity in a cultural context, however it is unclear when reading his articles what this context is, since it is not mainstream academic nor mainstream revisionist Christian. He claims he doesn't have to resort to pseudohistory or logical fallacies, but again, this is not borne out in the articles from his website. His answers are his own, and they may or may not be useful for someone who is questioning his or her Christianity, but they do not resolve any of the known conflicts in the Bible any better than other apologetic writers have done.[5]

Enough said.
            Last edited by Gary; 02-18-2016, 02:41 PM.

Comment

You may have a "reputation" on Tektonics but on the internet you have the reputation of being a foul-mouthed fundamentalist who prefers to debate with non-stop, condescending, personal insults rather than civil discussion and debate. Your internet reputation is no better than that of a foul-mouthed junior high school bully.

I'm not biting.

If you do a google search for the name JP Holding, this is the first thing that pops up:.
              Oh wow, the moron thinks "RationalWiki" is a reliable source -- a page written by disgruntled 13 year old atheists who deconverted because God didn't heal their acne! It's like Gary citing himself as an authority!

Take any excuse you can to run like a little girl, chicken boy -- you'll need them!

Comment

• JPH. Don't forget to tag him in the name thread for being another victim.

Comment

• Still waiting to talk to someone who has the maturity of an adult...

Stein...are you there?

Comment

Stein,

We agree that the earliest Christians believed that they had "seen" Jesus alive again after his crucifixion. I do not believe that anyone made this up. I believe that these people were very sincere in their belief of a "resurrection". But the question is: What did they actually see? Did they see a bright light, similar to Paul? Did they see an apparition similar to what many Catholics even today claim to see of the Virgin Mary? I believe that Paul sincerely believed that five hundred people saw Jesus at the same time in the same place....but what did they see exactly??

Answer: We don't know! We have no known eyewitness testimony other than Paul's and he specifically says that all he saw was a talking bright light...in a vision! Did the five hundred in the First Corinthians 15 Creed only see a bright light that they assumed was Jesus? We don't know! We don't know because we have no eyewitness testimony. All we have is hearsay.

Without any eyewitness statements, all we can say is that someone or "someones" thought they had seen Jesus...in some fashion.
                    The issue is that whatever appearance they had convinced them that Jesus had risen from the dead and appearing to them. A light doesn't seem sufficient to cause that belief.

You're also rather unfairly stating that "all we have is hearsay." I don't think that's true. I think the eyewitnesses are still involved in the transmission of the oral tradition and are actively preaching. It's a fairly widespread belief that the gospels have eyewitness testimony of a sort behind them. How much is up for debate (Bauckham tends to be overly optimistic about how much we can know about it).

Also, be aware that I don't post particularly regularly here. I jump in when I see something interesting, spend a lot of time for a short period, then tend to fade away. That's largely due to the hectic nature of my real-world life.

Comment

• Originally posted by jpholding View Post
                      Oh wow, the moron thinks "RationalWiki" is a reliable source -- a page written by disgruntled 13 year old atheists who deconverted because God didn't heal their acne! It's like Gary citing himself as an authority!

Take any excuse you can to run like a little girl, chicken boy -- you'll need them!
                      RationalWiki's "demolition" of the minimal facts made me laugh.

It starts with something about how Paul didn't know that Jesus was crucified.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post
                        The issue is that whatever appearance they had convinced them that Jesus had risen from the dead and appearing to them. A light doesn't seem sufficient to cause that belief.

You're also rather unfairly stating that "all we have is hearsay." I don't think that's true. I think the eyewitnesses are still involved in the transmission of the oral tradition and are actively preaching. It's a fairly widespread belief that the gospels have eyewitness testimony of a sort behind them. How much is up for debate (Bauckham tends to be overly optimistic about how much we can know about it).

Also, be aware that I don't post particularly regularly here. I jump in when I see something interesting, spend a lot of time for a short period, then tend to fade away. That's largely due to the hectic nature of my real-world life.
                        I nor most skeptics doubt the sincerity of the early Christians in their belief that Jesus had appeared to them. The question is: Was this appearance reality or something else? Many, many people throughout history have sincerely believed that they have seen a dead person. No one believes that they all did.

If all Paul saw was a light, in a vision, and he believed, why couldn't this have been what happened to others?

I agree that there may be a core of truth to the appearance traditions, but we just don't know for sure. Maybe it was something such as the following:

One of the disciples had a vivid dream in which Jesus appears to the Eleven in a second story room. Jesus interacts with them verbally. He allows them to touch him. He eats with them. This story spreads among the early Christian churches, and 35-65 years later, there are several stories of appearances, some occur in Galilee and some in an upper room.

The core truth could simply and only be that a disciple had a vivid dream that was as real and literal to him as Joseph's two vivid dreams were real to him; dreams in which both men believed that a supernatural being, with a supernatural body, had truly appeared to them.
                        Last edited by Gary; 02-18-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Stein,

Look at this passage from the Gospel of Matthew, with a short three word phrase omitted:

This appearance to Joseph by an angel (a supernatural being with a supernatural, visible, body) sounds no different than the appearance-of-Jesus-to-his-disciples stories. The stories are exactly the same except for a three word phrase.

The three word phrase omitted is: in a dream.
                          Last edited by Gary; 02-18-2016, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Still waiting to talk to someone who has the maturity of an adult...
                            Have you considered attaining it yourself first?
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Stein,

Look at this passage from the Gospel of Matthew, with a short three word phrase omitted:

This appearance to Joseph by an angel (a supernatural being with a supernatural, visible, body) sounds no different than the appearance-of-Jesus-to-his-disciples stories. The stories are exactly the same except for a three word phrase.

The three word phrase omitted is: in a dream.
                              How convenient it is to remove evidence you don't like.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                                JPH. Don't forget to tag him in the name thread for being another victim.
                                Might not be fair, I'm sure he copied and pasted it without reading it.

Comment