Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stein doesn't go by those people. He reads the scholars. THat's what we both do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
      Good thing that's not what we have.

Please keep it up Gary. THe more you speak, the more you embarrass the non-Christian position.
      My god. You have just admitted that multiple non-miracle explanations are possible, but then you insist they couldn't have happened because there is no evidence. You are contradicting yourself. You are irrational. You are brainwashed.

I have gotten from you what I wanted: An admission that there are MULTIPLE possible explanations for the early Christian belief in a resurrection.

Let the internet take note.

Comment

Stein doesn't go by those people. He reads the scholars. THat's what we both do.
        Ok, please give us a few names of scholars who state that the only plausible explanation for the belief in a resurrection was a literal bodily resurrection. Just a couple of names is fine. Let's see who they are.
        Last edited by Gary; 02-15-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• Dude. It's possible you're really an alien. I just don't have evidence for it. It's possible I got transported to another dimension in my sleep and I was unaware of it. There's just no evidence for it.

It's possible that there was a doppleganger from an Earth-2 (Such as in the Flash) that shot the victim in the murder and has fingerprints just like his Earth-1) counterpart.

There's just no evidence for these.

Sorry, but you honor evidence with your lips, but your thinking is far from it.

Comment

Dude. It's possible you're really an alien. I just don't have evidence for it. It's possible I got transported to another dimension in my sleep and I was unaware of it. There's just no evidence for it.

It's possible that there was a doppleganger from an Earth-2 (Such as in the Flash) that shot the victim in the murder and has fingerprints just like his Earth-1) counterpart.

There's just no evidence for these.

Sorry, but you honor evidence with your lips, but your thinking is far from it.
            Nick. Stop and think about what you are saying! All we have is a missing body! Just because the only "evidence" we have as to why it is missing is four anonymous books, written decades after the body went missing, from a small, new religious sect, that claims the body was beamed up to outer space by an invisible deity, is NOT sufficient reason to exclude more probable, natural, explanations EVEN IF WE HAVE NO EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT A SPECIFIC NATURAL EXPLANATION!!!

Why can't you grasp that very simple, rational, concept?

Comment

Possible? Of course.

It's also possible that Jesus was an alien from another planet.
              Yep. Someone's already had fun with that one.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Yep. Someone's already had fun with that one.
                Heh, I actually have this book. Never read it, and don't even remember where/when I got it. Didn't know much about it either.
                I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Let's review again what we have since Gary doesn't know about it.

We have a popular figure who got crucified.
                  We have him buried.
                  We have his tomb being found empty
                  We have him being seen walking around again and not looking like a crucified victim.
                  We have this convincing enough for skeptics like Paul and James.
                  We have this happening with group appearances when group hallucinations don't happen.
                  We have this person being seen as the Messiah immediately.
                  We have Him also being seen as included in the divine identity incredibly early on.
                  We have an utterly shameful belief somehow surviving when it should have died.
                  On top of that, I have at least five strong arguments for classical theism and I have evidence as well of the reality of miracles and no strong argument against them.

On your side we have

"Miwacle! Miwacle! Miwacles are impwobable!"

Also, our earliest claims for most of these are found in the Pauline epistles and the creed that contains the death, burial, resurrection, and appearances is material dated to at the latest five years of the event.

Comment

Let's review again what we have since Gary doesn't know about it.

We have a popular figure who got crucified.
                    We have him buried.
                    We have his tomb being found empty
                    We have him being seen walking around again and not looking like a crucified victim.
                    We have this convincing enough for skeptics like Paul and James.
                    We have this happening with group appearances when group hallucinations don't happen.
                    We have this person being seen as the Messiah immediately.
                    We have Him also being seen as included in the divine identity incredibly early on.
                    We have an utterly shameful belief somehow surviving when it should have died.
                    On top of that, I have at least five strong arguments for classical theism and I have evidence as well of the reality of miracles and no strong argument against them.

On your side we have

"Miwacle! Miwacle! Miwacles are impwobable!"

Also, our earliest claims for most of these are found in the Pauline epistles and the creed that contains the death, burial, resurrection, and appearances is material dated to at the latest five years of the event.
                    Ok. Let's reword what Nick has said into non-Christian terms:

---We have a missing body
                    ---We have zero contemporaneous statements about the man or his missing body.
                    ---All we have are four, anonymous books, written decades after the alleged event, at least two and possibly three of these books using the first book as a boiler plate for their alleged "eyewitness" stories--(the majority of scholars do not believe these four authors were eyewitnesses)---writing in far away lands, telling a supernatural tale that if made TODAY, no one, I mean no one, with a high school education, would believe.

The fact that a few poor, despondent, superstitious, mostly-uneducated peasants believed that they saw a dead person is NOT convincing evidence, folks.

Bottom line: Nick has admitted that there are several possible alternative explanations for the early Christian belief in a resurrection. So now it is up to you, reader: Which is more probable of two very improbable explanations:

1. Someone moved the body and people only imagined that they had seen a dead person.
                    2. An ancient middle-eastern deity, named Yahweh, magically reanimated a dead body, giving it life immortal and supernatural powers, including, levitating into outer space.

Your choice. But if you believe that option two is more probable, no amount of reason and logic is going to change your mind because you belief is not built on evidence and reason but on faith...which is just a polite word for superstition.
                    Last edited by Gary; 02-15-2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
                      Ok. Let's reword what Nick has said into non-Christian terms:
                      In the end, Gary, "rewording" is your best argument - and you can't even do that without changing the meaning of the words as you do it. You're just not credible, Gary.
                      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        In the end, Gary, "rewording" is your best argument - and you can't even do that without changing the meaning of the words as you do it. You're just not credible, Gary.
                        And your thinking is insane. One hundred years from now people will look back at your comments and scratch their heads.

Comment

• I don't recognize my argument at all in that drivel Gary posted.

Comment

• Well OBP. I guess he told you.

Comment

I don't recognize my argument at all in that drivel Gary posted.
                              You, Nick, are the Pied Piper of the Brainwashed; your thinking, regardless of how you dress it up with philosophical and theological psychobabble, is silly, silly, superstitious nonsense. Virgin-impregnating ghosts do not exist. Water-walking man-gods do not exist. Reanimated dead bodies that levitate into outer space do not exist. It's silly, silly nonsense. Open your eyes, Nick.

Comment

• OBP. You forgot his other argument. Incredulity.

Comment