Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Book Plunge: Can Christians Prove The Resurrection?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
    Are you brain dead??

The order of logic goes something like this:

1.) there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine or the spiritual apart from divine revelation (see natural theology 101) Gary: Possibly true.

You doubt that there exists actual arguments that have convinced individuals of the existence of the spiritual apart from divine revelation? See, this is exactly why no one takes super-skeptics like yourself seriously. I could literally grab a book off of my shelf that contains such arguments, put that book in your hand, and you would still deny that such arguments actually exist.

Gary: What about "possibly true" do you not understand??? How can "possibly true" in any way be construed to infer that I doubt the existence of arguments for the existence for the spiritual apart from divine revelation???
    Are you pranking me or something? Is this point where Allen Funt or Ashton Kutcher steps out from behind my monitor? Do you seriously not see how the phrase "possibly true" also implies "possibly untrue", or that it (at the very least) leaves room for doubt? Is English your native language? Maybe the issue we've been having with you all along is that you don't know what the word "possibly" means.

I accept that the existence of natural laws are plausible evidence for a spiritual dimension.
    I have no idea what this sentence means, or where it's coming from. No one has stated that the existence of natural laws are (offer?) plausible evidence for a spiritual dimension. No one asked you about that either. It's my belief that you do not, and will not accept any evidence, plausible or otherwise, for a spiritual dimension. That I state that there exists people who find that "there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine or the spiritual apart from divine revelation (see natural theology 101)", does not mean (or imply) that I think you find those arguments convincing.

What I want is for you to prove that the possible Designer is a crucified first century Jew!
    That's not at all the topic of this thread, nor what has been "debated" (I use that word loosely since it's really just been you shouting from your soapbox) over the course of 159 pages. If you're really interested in the nature of Christ (hint, you're not), then that's an entirely separate topic worthy of its own thread.

Adrift:

2.) Arguments for the divine tend towards a personal creator. Gary: Unprovable speculation.

It's not unproven speculation. I literally have books in my library that contain arguments based on subjects like ontology, design, morality, cosmology, beauty and the like that do, in fact, tend towards a personal creator. Nowhere have I stated that everyone agrees with those arguments, only that such arguments exist, and that some people have found them convincing.

Gary: Please give a list of NT scholars and scientists who subscribe to this hypothesis. The opinions of theologians is not relevant.
    What in the world does that have to do with anything? What are you even talking about? Why wouldn't the opinions of theologians be relevant to theological matters? I'm finding it really hard to believe that you are a certified physician. How could anyone get through that much schooling and show so little signs of a formal education?

Um, okay, NT scholars who would "subscribe to this hypothesis" that there exist arguments based on subjects like ontology, design, morality, cosmology, beauty and the like that tend towards a personal creator. Hmm. I don't know...any NT scholar that ever picked up a book on Natural Theology?

I haven't personally asked them, but probably Craig Evans? Ben Witherington III? Michael Wilkins? Craig Keener? Craig Blomberg? Darrell Bock? Scot McKnight? Dan Wallace? Edwin Yamauchi? I don't know, this is just off the top of my head. I don't think anyone has ever done a survey, or know why one would ever need to be done. It's such an oddball request. Are you taking your own meds again?
    Last edited by Adrift; 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
      Are you pranking me or something? Is this point where Allen Funt or Ashton Kutcher steps out from behind my monitor? Do you seriously not see how the phrase "possibly true" also implies "possibly untrue", or that it (at the very least) leaves room for doubt? Is English your native language? Maybe the issue we've been having with you all along is that you don't know what the word "possibly" means.

I have no idea what this sentence means, or where it's coming from. No one has stated that the existence of natural laws are (offer?) plausible evidence for a spiritual dimension. No one asked you about that either. It's my belief that you do not, and will not accept any evidence, plausible or otherwise, for a spiritual dimension. That I state that there exists people who find that "there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine or the spiritual apart from divine revelation (see natural theology 101)", does not mean (or imply) that I think you find those arguments convincing.

That's not at all the topic of this thread, nor what has been "debated" (I use that word loosely since it's really just been you shouting from your soapbox) over the course of 159 pages. If you're really interested in the nature of Christ (hint, you're not), then that's an entirely separate topic worthy of its own thread.

What in the world does that have to do with anything? What are you even talking about? Why wouldn't the opinions of theologians be relevant to theological matters? I'm finding it really hard to believe that you are a certified physician. How could anyone get through that much schooling and show so little signs of a formal education?

Um, okay, NT scholars who would "subscribe to this hypothesis" that there exist arguments based on subjects like ontology, design, morality, cosmology, beauty and the like that tend towards a personal creator. Hmm. I don't know...any NT scholar that ever picked up a book on Natural Theology?

I haven't personally asked them, but probably Craig Evans? Ben Witherington III? Michael Wilkins? Craig Keener? Craig Blomberg? Darrell Bock? Scot McKnight? Dan Wallace? Edwin Yamauchi? I don't know, this is just off the top of my head. I don't think anyone has ever done a survey, or know why one would ever need to be done. It's such an oddball request. Are you taking your own meds again?
      OMG.

You: "there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine or the spiritual apart from divine revelation (see natural theology 101)"

Me: "possibly true"

ie, "It is possibly true that there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine..."

I am making the point that it is possibly true that convincing arguments exist. I was not contesting that such arguments exist.

And to the rest of your comment: this entire discussion has been about whether or not Christians can "prove" the resurrection. That IS the title of the thread. My contention is that Christians cannot prove the Resurrection without a circular argument: The Resurrection is true because our God is true and our God is true because the Resurrection is true.

You then tried to counter that criticism by saying that history, prophecy, and personal experience support the Christian claim that Jesus is God and therefore if he is God he was fully capable of raising himself from the dead. I pointed out that:

1. The historical reliability of the OT is pathetic.
      2. Not one of the alleged prophecies in the OT has any significant evidence to support the contention that a fulfillment of prophecy occurred.
      3. Your warm and fuzzy feelings prove nothing.

So we are back to you proving that a first century Jewish peasant is the Creator of the Universe and being unable to do so without invoking a circular argument.

And speaking of education, what is the highest level of education that you have? Did you graduate from a university (not a Bible college or trade school)? What was your degree?
      Last edited by Gary; 04-15-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

OMG.

You: "there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine or the spiritual apart from divine revelation (see natural theology 101)"

Me: "possibly true"

ie, "It is possibly true that there are convincing arguments for the existence of the divine..."

It is possibly true that convincing arguments exist, not that arguments for the existence of the divine exist.
        It's not possibly true, it's evidentially true. I can literally show you books where these arguments exist, and I can show you people who have been convinced by them. There are, in fact, convincing arguments, arguments that have, and continue to convince. Not possibly so, but actually so.

Whether YOU, personally, find those arguments actually convincing, possibly convincing, or not convincing, is completely irrelevant.

My word, how is this so difficult for you?

Comment

It's not possibly true, it's evidentially true. I can literally show you books where these arguments exist, and I can show you people who have been convinced by them. There are, in fact, convincing arguments, arguments that have, and continue to convince. Not possibly so, but actually so.

Whether YOU, personally, find those arguments actually convincing, possibly convincing, or not convincing, is completely irrelevant.

"Convincing" is a matter of opinion, you dim wit.

Are these NT scholars willing to make this claim based on scholarly research or simply based on their faith in Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior?
          Last edited by Gary; 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM.

Comment

"Convincing" is a matter of opinion, you dim wit.
            Wow! You think?

Comment

His presuppositions keep getting in the way.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Yeah, I'm finding them quite impenetrable. What a waste of time.

Comment

You then tried to counter that criticism by saying that history, prophecy, and personal experience support the Christian claim that Jesus is God and therefore if he is God he was fully capable of raising himself from the dead.
                  Uh, no. That wasn't my counter. Brush up on your English comprehension.

Comment

My argument is not circular, yours is.

If I said that supernatural resurrections are impossible because resurrections are supernatural that would be a circular argument. But that isn't the case. My argument is that a supernatural resurrection is highly improbable based on cumulative human history, and it is much less probable than several possible natural explanations for this belief, so therefore I do not believe it.

It is you Christians who posted the question: "Can Christians prove the Resurrection" and it is the "proving" that I am challenging. The bottom line is that you cannot prove this event happened without presuming the divinity of Jesus, which can only be proven by a resurrection, which based on cumulative human history is highly, highly improbable. The possible existence of a Creator is not evidence for Jesus' divinity. The reliability of the Hebrew Bible regarding ancient history and ancient fortune telling is abysmal.

Like the apostle Paul said, to paraphrase: "It's all about the Resurrection, folks. If it didn't happen, we are toast."
                    Last edited by Gary; 04-15-2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Tell us what trade school you graduated from, Adrift. I dare you!

Comment

Tell us what trade school you graduated from, Adrift. I dare you!
                        :Oh no!! What if he double-dog dares me?:

Comment

Pathetic.

Dear Readers: Don't let their smoke and mirrors (spin) fool you. You can't prove the Resurrection without assuming the divinity of Jesus and you can't prove the divinity of Jesus without assuming the Resurrection. It is a circular argument.

Abandon this ancient superstition, and come to the Light. The real light. The light of reason and science.

These people are so angry because the internet is shining the Light of reason and science into the dark crevices of their superstitious world. It is very frightening for them. That is why some of them lash out so viciously. They are sitting in the darkness, desperately holding onto an imaginary security blanket, closing their eyes and plugging their ears to our pleas of reason and rationality.

We must help them let go. We must help them come to the Light.

We must never give up hope for their deliverance from the Darkness.
                          Last edited by Gary; 04-15-2016, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Pathetic.

Dear Readers: Don't let their smoke and mirrors (spin) fool you. You can't prove the Resurrection without assuming the divinity of Jesus and you can't prove the divinity of Jesus without assuming the Resurrection. It is a circular argument.

Abandon this ancient superstition, and come to the Light. The real light. The light of reason and science.

These people are so angry because the internet is shining the Light of reason and science into the dark crevices of their superstitious world. It is very frightening for them. That is why some of them lash out so viciously. They are sitting in the darkness, desperately holding onto an imaginary security blanket, closing their eyes and plugging their ears to our pleas of reason and rationality.

We must help them let go. We must help them come to the Light.

We must never give up hope for their deliverance from the Darkness.
                            Project much?
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Project much?
                              I am reasoning for you, brother!
                              Last edited by Gary; 04-15-2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Just don't put your tongue on a frozen flag pole!
                                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment