Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Does Jesus's Prayer Show Christianity Is False?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
    No. Not true. Since the supernatural is beyond the scope of scientific investigation, it is not possible to state that supernatural events are impossible.
    Yet you keep highlighting their improbability, based on scientific investigation? Why is it so hard for you to admit that, in your worldview, supernatural events are impossible? Or is it your faith designation that needs tweaking?
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Gary. I stated that this is a metaphysical claim. Posting a video on burden of proof is useless on that. Anyone who makes a claim has a burden to back it. You claimed that scientists and doctors aren't convinced miracles have happened. I ask "Okay. Why should I take people who don't study metaphysics seriously on a question that is about metaphysics? Posting burden of proof does not work, especially since you're considering skepticism as the default position for a worldview any anyone else has the burden of proof. It's a great way to avoid your intellectual responsibility of actually making an argument. In fact, that's your modus operandi. "Let me do a survey to see if most people would find this the best explanation." (Why not go the data and talk about it?) "Most Jews don't accept your claim." (Again, why not go to the data?) "Doctors and scientists don't believe this. (Why not go to the data?)

Most Jews rejected the resurrection in the time of Jesus. Yeah. Why should that surprise me? That's exactly what I expect in fact. The Christian faith was utterly shameful and to accept it was to accept a position of shame and seen as traitorous to YHWH. Again, how does that work on explaining the data?

Seriously. Go to a library. Read the best scholarship on both sides of the issues. Then come back and talk about it. Right now, you're just showing you switched from an uninformed Christianity to an uninformed skepticism. You hold the opposite position with the same zeal I suspect. It's just the loyalty that's different.

Comment

And what else are you suggesting is needed to argue for this alleged event? The metaphysical? Theological? Philosophical?
        Philosophy. You have to argue for miracles happening.

Ludemann's attempt to say "modern science shows the dead stay dead" doesn't constitute an argument against.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post

Ludemann's attempt to say "modern science shows the dead stay dead" doesn't constitute an argument against.
          It's not like that's a new discovery

Comment

• Actually when it comes to the reality of the supernatural an epistemologist would be as equally important in the discussion.

Mike Licona in his 700+ page tome on the historicity of the ressurection, spends no less than 200 pages just dealing with how you'd approach miracles in history.

I higly recommend the book Gary. I personally found the case very convincing.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Yet you keep highlighting their improbability, based on scientific investigation? Why is it so hard for you to admit that, in your worldview, supernatural events are impossible? Or is it your faith designation that needs tweaking?
              I've never said impossible, but I've never said that the existence of leprechauns is impossible either. I just believe that they are both very, very improbable.

Again, it all comes down to the probability of the existence of miracles. I'm not sure there is any way to narrow the gap in our very discrepant estimation of the probability of miracles. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                Gary. I stated that this is a metaphysical claim. Posting a video on burden of proof is useless on that. Anyone who makes a claim has a burden to back it. You claimed that scientists and doctors aren't convinced miracles have happened. I ask "Okay. Why should I take people who don't study metaphysics seriously on a question that is about metaphysics? Posting burden of proof does not work, especially since you're considering skepticism as the default position for a worldview any anyone else has the burden of proof. It's a great way to avoid your intellectual responsibility of actually making an argument. In fact, that's your modus operandi. "Let me do a survey to see if most people would find this the best explanation." (Why not go the data and talk about it?) "Most Jews don't accept your claim." (Again, why not go to the data?) "Doctors and scientists don't believe this. (Why not go to the data?)

Most Jews rejected the resurrection in the time of Jesus. Yeah. Why should that surprise me? That's exactly what I expect in fact. The Christian faith was utterly shameful and to accept it was to accept a position of shame and seen as traitorous to YHWH. Again, how does that work on explaining the data?

Seriously. Go to a library. Read the best scholarship on both sides of the issues. Then come back and talk about it. Right now, you're just showing you switched from an uninformed Christianity to an uninformed skepticism. You hold the opposite position with the same zeal I suspect. It's just the loyalty that's different.
                I've explained the data, Nick. I and most skeptics I've spoken to believe that my hypothetical explanations DO explain the evidence and that my explanation is far, far more probable than your supernatural explanation. We are never going to come to an agreement on this issue, my Christian friend, until we find a way to narrow our very differing views on the probability of miracles. In my world view, a very rare aberration in the behavior of one individual or small group (moving a corpse in first century Judaism) is far more likely than your supernatural explanation. I understand that you don't see it that way.

I am not sure there is any way for us to move forward. We are at an impasse, as I see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by psstein View Post

I realize that philosophy is highly respected among theologians and I think as a field of study it has contributed greatly to the advancement of mankind. So I am not saying that it is a useless or trivial field. But when it comes to the issue of "what is reality", I think most people in western society have accepted the scientific method and reason as the basis of reality. I don't think the majority of society is interested in sitting around debating whether or not one truly exists or is the figment of someone else's imagination. The issue is settled for most people: We trust science and reason to determine truth. I know that theologians don't like that, but that is the way it is.

Comment

I've never said impossible, but I've never said that the existence of leprechauns is impossible either. I just believe that they are both very, very improbable.

Again, it all comes down to the probability of the existence of miracles. I'm not sure there is any way to narrow the gap in our very discrepant estimation of the probability of miracles. Any suggestions?
                    If you believed in a being that was capable of producing miracles, that'd probably be a start.

Comment

I realize that philosophy is highly respected among theologians and I think as a field of study it has contributed greatly to the advancement of mankind. So I am not saying that it is a useless or trivial field. But when it comes to the issue of "what is reality", I think most people in western society have accepted the scientific method and reason as the basis of reality. I don't think the majority of society is interested in sitting around debating whether or not one truly exists or is the figment of someone else's imagination. The issue is settled for most people: We trust science and reason to determine truth. I know that theologians don't like that, but that is the way it is.
                      What a nice philosophical statement on the nature of reality to argue that philosophy doesn't tell us the nature of reality.

It's funny.

Comment

You label yourself as a non-supernaturalist. Miracles are inherently supernatural. Therefore, despite your protestations to the contrary, your position is that miracles are not possible. Further, since probability is a statistical measurement, and miracles are not measurable, there is no such thing as "probability of miracles."

Perhaps you should quit using language like it's silly putty.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                          If you believed in a being that was capable of producing miracles, that'd probably be a start.
                          True. But I believe that there is ample evidence that proves that Yahweh is a fictional ancient middle-eastern character in an ancient Jewish holy book, and the argument that there is ONE, monotheistic God is also very weak. There may well be a Creator, but we have no idea...yet...at least, who he, she, it, or they is/are. See the video I posted above. So there is no proof of the existence of any supernatural being with supernatural powers. They might exist, but until better evidence comes along, I choose to ignore all supernatural claims and alleged supernatural beings.

Maybe we should start our discussion by debating the existence of Yahweh.
                          Last edited by Gary; 01-19-2016, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                            What a nice philosophical statement on the nature of reality to argue that philosophy doesn't tell us the nature of reality.

It's funny.
                            Philosophy is a dying field, my friend. Just ask a philosophy professor at any major university.

Comment

Philosophy is a dying field, my friend. Just ask a philosophy professor at any major university.
                              Yeah. Do you have a response because I have no reason to think you know what you're talking about, especially as someone who has considerable reading in philosophy.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                                You label yourself as a non-supernaturalist. Miracles are inherently supernatural. Therefore, despite your protestations to the contrary, your position is that miracles are not possible. Further, since probability is a statistical measurement, and miracles are not measurable, there is no such thing as "probability of miracles."

Perhaps you should quit using language like it's silly putty.
                                "Further, since probability is a statistical measurement, and miracles are not measurable, there is no such thing as "probability of miracles."

Exactly. The normal scientific tools used to determine claims of fact cannot be used to investigate supernatural claims as they cannot be measured. That is why I choose to ignore such claims. Their probability is so low, in my opinion, that it is a better use of my time to ignore them as if they were impossible.

Comment