See less

Book Plunge: God and the Gay Christian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Lord's Prayer is the plea to God, "lead us not into temptation but . . ." It's not clear to me that temptation by itself (not lusting but close) does not count as sin.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
      For incest, the holiness code in Leviticus 18 and 20 are against incestual relationships among close relatives. For polygamy, when we get to the NT, there's hardly a hint of it if even that and I think Jesus excluded it in Mathew 19.

There are different words to describe them and also Leviticus 18 and 20 end with saying that it's for these kinds of practices the other nations are being driven out. Nothing about that with eating shellfish.
      One reason I can so readily dismiss modern Christianity is the way it cherry-picks what it wants from the Old Testament. If it accepted the OT Laws, as Jesus did, and as the disciples continued to do for decades after his death, I could respect that. If they just accepted first love God, second love your neighbour
      My Blog: http://oncreationism.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by The Pixie View Post
        One reason I can so readily dismiss modern Christianity is the way it cherry-picks what it wants from the Old Testament. If it accepted the OT Laws, as Jesus did, and as the disciples continued to do for decades after his death, I could respect that. If they just accepted first love God, second love your neighbour
        That really isn't the case, and there is a legit methodology to why Christians seemingly accept some of the Old Testament law while ignoring other bits. It's pretty well explained in Bible, especially in Paul's epistles. You've been on this forum for a very long time though, and I'm certain you've read the explanation at some point in your stay here. Either you have terrible memory, or you simply pick and choose what you want to accept and what you want to ignore.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
          That really isn't the case, and there is a legit methodology to why Christians seemingly accept some of the Old Testament law while ignoring other bits. It's pretty well explained in Bible, especially in Paul's epistles. You've been on this forum for a very long time though, and I'm certain you've read the explanation at some point in your stay here. Either you have terrible memory, or you simply pick and choose what you want to accept and what you want to ignore.
          I suspect that facts are not of much interest to The Pixie. He is probably aware of the legitimate exegesis process, but chooses to ignore the fact.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

You are showing your ignorance of scripture. The dietary laws were dismissed in Acts when Peter had a vision of a sheet carrying all types of foods, and God told him that what He declared to be clean should not be called unclean.

But homosexuality, as well as fornication and adultery are clearly STILL called sin in the NT.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              I guess it depends on whether you follow Jesus or Paul. Jesus said he was not changing the law at all, Paul said otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                You are showing your ignorance of scripture. The dietary laws were dismissed in Acts when Peter had a vision of a sheet carrying all types of foods, and God told him that what He declared to be clean should not be called unclean.
                My bad. I was under the impression the disciples continued to follow the dietary laws. So eating shellfish was an abomination, but then god changed his mind, and gave Peter a dream, and now eating shellfish is not an abomination.

Comment

I guess it depends on whether you follow Jesus or Paul. Jesus said he was not changing the law at all, Paul said otherwise.
                  Nah, there's no discrepancy between the two. In fact Paul's theology is based on Jesus' claim to have fulfilled the law. I'm certain you heard about that too, but cherrypickers gotta cherry pick.

Comment

My bad. I was under the impression the disciples continued to follow the dietary laws. So eating shellfish was an abomination, but then god changed his mind, and gave Peter a dream, and now eating shellfish is not an abomination.
                    And now you show your lack of understanding of the whole of scripture, which is unsurprising, since you don't have the Spirit to enlighten you. The coming of Christ and His atoning work brought in a new covenant.

Since you have no real desire to understand, and only wish to cling to your sin, I will leave you to it.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Which passage are you referring to regarding shellfish? AFAIK "shellfish will be disgusting to you" isn't the same as saying it's inherently wicked to eat shellfish. It's just prescribing Jewish cultural eating preferences.
                      "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

Once again you misrepresent Scripture intentionally. You know better you are just baiting.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Jesus said He fulfilled the Law. Paul reacted as if the Law had been fulfilled.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well, that's a pretty silly comment that shows you don't know what you're talking about.
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And another stupid comment that shows you don't understand Christian theology. The dietary rules had to do with ritual purity, so why do you need ritual purity anymore when Jesus fulfilled the law though his death on the cross? Seriously, is that the best you can do?
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

But homosexuality, as well as fornication and adultery are clearly STILL called sin in the NT.
                                Don't you find that just a little suspicious? A vision that conveniently removes the dietary laws that Jews kept for their entire history, and will help make Christian theology more attractive to gentiles, is just a little bit suspect to me; in fact it sounds like it's by design.

Comment