X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Alcohol

Do you drink or not?

Link

I catch grief sometimes for my saying, "I quit drinking when I became old enough to start".

I don't mean that to condemn anybody else, but this was about the time I began my police career.

I was raised in an independent Baptist church, were alcohol was pretty much forbidden.
    Our "Church Covenant" was prominently displayed on the wall in the auditorium, and one of the "covenants" was "I will not use alcohol as a beverage".
    Like many teens, I decided to check that out, and got involved in underage drinking.

I started off as a police dispatcher, not yet old enough to be sworn in to carry a gun.

One of the first things I noticed was how many "domestic violence" situations involved alcohol.
    Then, how many motor vehicle accidents involved alcohol.
    And, how many fights and brawls and shootings and stabbings involved alcohol.

Then I was sent to Breathalyzer Training, which involved far more than learning how to run the machine.
    It focused quite a bit on the alcohol-related scenarios police officers face.

One of the facts (this was way back in the 70's, so i don't remember it all) was about how may people were killed in alcohol-related accidents, where the person consuming the alcohol was uninjured, but caused the deaths of others.

That actually had far more influence on my decision not to drink than did my Baptist background.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I catch grief sometimes for my saying, "I quit drinking when I became old enough to start".

I don't mean that to condemn anybody else, but this was about the time I began my police career.

I was raised in an independent Baptist church, were alcohol was pretty much forbidden.
      Our "Church Covenant" was prominently displayed on the wall in the auditorium, and one of the "covenants" was "I will not use alcohol as a beverage".
      Like many teens, I decided to check that out, and got involved in underage drinking.

I started off as a police dispatcher, not yet old enough to be sworn in to carry a gun.

One of the first things I noticed was how many "domestic violence" situations involved alcohol.
      Then, how many motor vehicle accidents involved alcohol.
      And, how many fights and brawls and shootings and stabbings involved alcohol.

Then I was sent to Breathalyzer Training, which involved far more than learning how to run the machine.
      It focused quite a bit on the alcohol-related scenarios police officers face.

One of the facts (this was way back in the 70's, so i don't remember it all) was about how may people were killed in alcohol-related accidents, where the person consuming the alcohol was uninjured, but caused the deaths of others.

That actually had far more influence on my decision not to drink than did my Baptist background.
      I don't think that statement comes across as offensive or preachy. It's perfectly legitimate to make that sort of decision bases on personal experience. In college, I decided to be rebellious and not drink myself because I saw how obnoxious other people behaved when they did.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I don't think that statement comes across as offensive or preachy. It's perfectly legitimate to make that sort of decision bases on personal experience. In college, I decided to be rebellious and not drink myself because I saw how obnoxious other people behaved when they did.
        Laughing - in High School, I decided to be rebellious and not wear long hair. Turned out to be a good decision, because when I finally allowed my hair to grow long, it just got really curly and oily. HAIRCUT!!!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I grew up in a home without alcohol, and except for a tiny bottle of champagne that my husband got when we were married, which I didn't like, I have not been a drinker. I don't like the smell or the taste of any alcohol.

And, I saw the effects of alcohol on my younger brother, also raised in the same home, which resulted in his death by suicide at the age of 35, leaving 2 small children behind.

My children were raised in an alcohol free home. My son does not drink. Sadly, to me, my daughter and her husband do, although they are very controlled, to my knowledge.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I started drinking at a very young age. I was in 3rd grade. Started drinking heavily in High School and even heavier after that. A lot heavier. But since I drank for the pleasure when it started costing me more in hangovers and the like I cut back dramatically. I called it the pain/pleasure principle. At one point I was drinking less than one beverage a month for several years. Two of my good drinking buddies continued at the same pace (with one replacing beer with Jack Daniels and becoming a literal falling down drunk) and both suffered from heart attacks and died during the same Summer. That was three or four years after I quit drinking with them. We were from the same graduating class and they died 13 years after graduating.

Today, I might have a drink or two about every other day. If I go to my favorite Mexican restaurant on Margarita Monday I'll have two.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I got drunk OFTEN in the military in my early career. Too drunk. It almost cost me an Article 15 when I got busted for underaged drinking outside the Airman's Club... in the ditch passed out in my own vomit. Having to run back to the barracks behind my grumpy First Shirt was not a pleasant experience, nor was the Letter of Counseling I received from the Commander the next morning. I realized I had a problem, and have not drank since. I have made a rare few exceptions, like when I visited Fenway Park. My wife knows, and keeps me accountable if I ever do decide to have one beer.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                I got drunk OFTEN in the military in my early career. Too drunk. It almost cost me an Article 15 when I got busted for underaged drinking outside the Airman's Club... in the ditch passed out in my own vomit. Having to run back to the barracks behind my grumpy First Shirt was not a pleasant experience, nor was the Letter of Counseling I received from the Commander the next morning. I realized I had a problem, and have not drank since. I have made a rare few exceptions, like when I visited Fenway Park. My wife knows, and keeps me accountable if I ever do decide to have one beer.
                I have a good friend like that. He admits it's weird, but he will, on a rare occasion, have "one beer" in the company of somebody to whom he is accountable, just to feel the "victory" of having one and stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  I have a good friend like that. He admits it's weird, but he will, on a rare occasion, have "one beer" in the company of somebody to whom he is accountable, just to feel the "victory" of having one and stopping.

Wow.

CP has a good friend.

Who knew?!

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                    Wow.

CP has a good friend.

Who knew?!
                    You're jealous.

Comment