X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Christianity And Guns

How should we handle this issue?

Link

I can think of one time when it didn't work, but that turned out pretty cool.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I can think of one time when it didn't work, but that turned out pretty cool.

Sounds like a virgin birth, which I do affirm.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
        Sounds like a virgin birth, which I do affirm.
        Amen.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As I posted elsewhere online, we need to distinguish between guns and gun culture. Roger Olson wrote aboit how he saw somebody with a Guns and Gods bumper sticker and thought he needed to go under formal biblical church discipline. While I wouldn't go that far, I am concerned with how some Christians seem to have adopted some of the excesses of gun culture that go beyond biblically defensible self defense. I had one co worker who was a professing Christian who liked to talk about shooting liberals and obsessively posted memes about gun violence in general being good.

I made the analogy of alcohol and guns both being fine in their place but both having a sick culture grow up around them.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            As I posted elsewhere online, we need to distinguish between guns and gun culture. Roger Olson wrote aboit how he saw somebody with a Guns and Gods bumper sticker and thought he needed to go under formal biblical church discipline. While I wouldn't go that far, I am concerned with how some Christians seem to have adopted some of the excesses of gun culture that go beyond biblically defensible self defense. I had one co worker who was a professing Christian who liked to talk about shooting liberals and obsessively posted memes about gun violence in general being good.

I made the analogy of alcohol and guns both being fine in their place but both having a sick culture grow up around them.
            I was always involved in competition shooting as a police officer. It was much more fun then, because they supplied all the ammo. I still enjoy competition shooting, but nowhere near like I used to.

So, for me, guns are not just about entertainment, but about hobby/competition -- which works out well, because if I ever had to use a gun for self defense, I'd say I'm a whole lot more proficient than a lot of people who have guns.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I was always involved in competition shooting as a police officer. It was much more fun then, because they supplied all the ammo. I still enjoy competition shooting, but nowhere near like I used to.

So, for me, guns are not just about entertainment, but about hobby/competition -- which works out well, because if I ever had to use a gun for self defense, I'd say I'm a whole lot more proficient than a lot of people who have guns.
              Just to be clear, that's not what I mean by negative gun culture. I'm thinking more of street gangs or people who think the idea of killing people is funny. I think shooting competitions are cool personally.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Just to be clear, that's not what I mean by negative gun culture.
                Yeah, I didn't think so, I just felt like posting.

I'm thinking more of street gangs or people who think the idea of killing people is funny.
                And the whole rap/gansta music culture promotes that bigly.

I think shooting competitions are cool personally.
                And I think somebody who's actually involved in something like that is going to be much more careful with handling guns in public, and storing them safely.

Comment