Does Christianity Violate Logic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Suggesting you'd know what philosophy can and can't prove, and that Christianity can be proven.
    Never said Christianity can be proven. For someone who wants to have others not speak for him, you sure have been quick to speak for me here. Christianity is a historical faith and the historicity part relies on probability.
    Which is again another assertion given without any supporting argument.

No. You just said to construct an axiom that shows only my divine being existed. I just said I don't think that's doable.

_____

[QUOTE}Hence the point of bringing in real world examples, including modern washing machines and self-focusing cameras, that work on fuzzy logics, which violate the classical axioms you're determined, without study, to defend as laws ... showing the arbitrary axioms of classical logics can't be treated as laws in reality. And because they can't be treated as laws in reality, they can't be extended into laws in more abstract spaces. [/QUOTE]

I would have to see how they do exactly.

Reality is not more flexible, and thanks for letting me do my own saying, k?
    Sure sounds exactly like what you're saying.

_____

Please, just don't.
    I would be glad to consider some reading on the topic in that case.

Adding axioms to an axiom set doesn't "add up to" anything, it subtracts. Each additional axiom is equivalent to putting another bouncer at the door, saying "and don't let those folks in, either." Eventually, if everything works right, you end up with a decent club. Occasionally, the dance floor ends up empty.

And that's what your op was asking. Is the dance floor empty? Using logic, can we exclude Christianity?

Sure.

Using just enough of it to do calculus, we see there can be no greatest infinite.
    The idea of a greatest infinite seems like an odd one. If something is without limitations, how can one be the greatest? There can be only one. There are also plenty of mathematicians who are devout Christians and have no problem with God being without limitations.

I included him because he's philosophically fungible enough to support your position, and because his position is relevant to the larger discussion.

In a TWeb paltalk discussion with Theonomy, lo these many years ago, I pointed out that Craig's approving citation of Hilbert's "The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality" was either an own goal against his apologetics, assuming an infinite God, or an admission the god whose existence he's willing to defend is not infinite.

Theonomy thought the latter was likely. I still have no evidence to the contrary. You could ask him if you get the chance. He's your buddy, not mine.

You could also ask him if Hilbert would have said the same about the number: 2.
    The Liconas and the Habermases get together on Labor Day weekend regularly. Sometimes the Craigs join in. If I see Craig this year, I can ask him.

It does if we're to stay within the bounds of things we both know. I'm not big on 13th century philosophers. Anything that old, that's still useful, has long since been improved. And you don't seem well versed on anything modern.
    And there are plenty of modern Thomist philosophers today who have built on Aquinas, but there's still something special about the foundations themselves.

Lots of people are made uncomfortable by that.

Kind of like never finding out who "is" is.

You get used to it.

What it doesn't do is exclude anything else from being infinite, or the infinite being well-ordered, and the conclusion there can be no greatest infinite.

Regards.
    Never said anything about being uncomfortable. I just said the idea doesn't make sense. My comfort level doesn't matter.

Comment

The doctrine of trinity in Christianity surely contradicts logic. For example, in Revelation 3:21, Jesus said "I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne"; therefore, "God" Jesus sitting with God the Father requires more than one God while 1 Corinthians 8:4 says "there is no other God but one"
      Last edited by Same Hakeem; 08-02-2019, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
        The doctrine of trinity in Christianity surely contradicts logic. For example, in Revelation 3:21, Jesus said "I was victorious and sat down with my Father on his throne"; therefore, "God" Jesus sitting with God the Father requires more than one God while 1 Corinthians 8:4 says "there is no other God but one"
        Your ham-fisted attempts at anti-Christian argument are consistently illogical. Are you trying to make Islam look bad?
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Same is just too boring to interact with any more.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Your ham-fisted attempts at anti-Christian argument are consistently illogical. Are you trying to make Islam look bad?
            You didn't answer to his point.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              You didn't answer to his point.
              Hakeem doesn't need your "help"; it's not as if you'd know logic if it hit you either. I gave him all the answer his point deserved. Hakeem is either a Muslim making very poor anti-Christian arguments or an atheist troll masquerading as one, I can't tell which.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Hakeem needs help, but it's nothing JimL can give.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Hakeem doesn't need your "help"; it's not as if you'd know logic if it hit you either. I gave him all the answer his point deserved. Hakeem is either a Muslim making very poor anti-Christian arguments or an atheist troll masquerading as one, I can't tell which.
                  Or, you just can't answer him "logically".

Comment

Or, you just can't answer him "logically".
                    His questions have been answered over and over. He just repeats them over and over. Kinda like Tassman does.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      His questions have been answered over and over. He just repeats them over and over. Kinda like Tassman does.
                      So what? So have the questions you and others pose here concerning many different issues been answered over and over, but that doesn't stop you from asking them. Perhaps he hasn't heard the response of the person he's questioning.

Comment

So what? So have the questions you and others pose here concerning many different issues been answered over and over, but that doesn't stop you from asking them. Perhaps he hasn't heard the response of the person he's questioning.
                        ...in this thread and others. So he (and you) can just go back and read the answers given before.

ignorant.jpg
                        Last edited by Sparko; 08-02-2019, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Anyone can attempt to address a question but not necessarily answer logically or biblically when it comes to doctrines like trinity.

To prove that the doctrine of trinity contradicts not only logic but even scripture, please refer to John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Jesus being the word, who was with God according to John 1:1, requires two gods and hence contradicts 1 Corinthians 8:4 which says "there is no other God but One"
                          Last edited by Same Hakeem; 08-02-2019, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Anyone can attempt to address a question but not necessarily answer logically or biblically when it comes to doctrines like trinity.

To prove that the doctrine of trinity contradicts not only logic but even scripture, please refer to John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." Jesus being the word, who was with God according to John 1:1, requires two gods and hence contradicts 1 Corinthians 8:4 which says "there is no other God but One"
                            contradictions.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38820[/ATTACH]
                              Still the contradiction of trinity is solved. Please let me help. According to the doctrine of the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are co-equal, co-eternal Persons, and the three make God. Yet, for example, according to Jesus in Matthew 24:36, "of that day and that hour no one knows not even the angels in heaven nor the Son but ONLY the Father" proving that the holy spirit does not know the hour since Jesus own words "but only the father" means it is 'only the Father' (not the holy spirit) who knows that day.
                              Last edited by Same Hakeem; 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Still the contradiction of trinity is solved. Please let me help. According to the doctrine of the Trinity, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are co-equal, co-eternal Persons, and the three make God. Yet, for example, according to Jesus in Matthew 24:36, "of that day and that hour no one knows not even the angels in heaven nor the Son but ONLY the Father" proving that the holy spirit does not know the hour since Jesus own words "but only the father" means it is 'only the Father' (not the holy spirit) who knows that day.
                                The answer is here

Comment