Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Was Paul A Deceiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Paul A Deceiver?

Did he trick us all?

----------------------

Can you trust Paul? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

If you've spent any time here, you know I don't really take fundamentalist atheist arguments seriously. They're notoriously bad. Bottom of the barrel. Hard to get any worse.

With one exception.

Muslim apologetics is far worse.

So yesterday, I'm browsing through Facebook and what do I see but this?

It really hurts how bad this is. I think I'm even more embarrassed some organization wanted to put their name at the bottom of this. Yes. Someone actually wants to claim ownership and let people know that they made this.

Where do I start?

Okay. Well first off, I do question that Romans 7 is autobiographical. You can see also here. That being said, even if it was about Paul, what is the worst we get here? We get a man who is obvious about the spiritual struggles that he is going through and speaks in the hyperbolic terminology that is normal for Jewish thinkers at the time.

Keep in mind, when Muhammad started having his experiences, he was convinced for a time that he was demonically possessed or was going crazy or something similar to that. If I am to reject Paul on these grounds, should I not do the same with Muhammad? Again, I don't think Romans 7 is about Paul, but even if I did think that, I would not see this as a problem.

So let's look at this second one. Ah yes, look at that trickster Paul there. He's quite the sly one isn't he? He caught his opponents by trickery!

Unless you do something strange and actually go and read the whole passage. Go take a look. You can find it right here.

Our Muslim friends don't seem to know it, but there's a thing in the world called sarcasm. Paul is employing it here. Yes. He tricked those Corinthians. He tricked them so much by.....not taking anything from them and having others cover the bill.

Yep! Crafty fellow he is! He gave the Corinthians his ministry and didn't charge them anything for it!

Keep in mind, this is something that should be easy to understand, but it is not apparently to the Muslim mind.

So let's look at the last one. Again, Paul is a trickster. He becomes all things to all people. How sneaky he is!

Let's suppose you love hamburgers. Let's now suppose you want to go and do ministry in India. At this point, I don't care if you're Muslim or Christian. Question. If you are wanting to reach the people in India, do you think it would benefit you to go to the Indian people, tell them about your God, and then start eating a hamburger in front of them?

Absolutely not. The cow is a sacred animal to them. They would not want to have anything to do with your message at that point.

I love my tea, but when I have Mormons over to visit me, I don't drink tea in front of them. For Mormons, that violates the Word of Wisdom. If I was to visit Muslims and do ministry, even though I don't eat pork products, I would definitely make sure to not eat them in front of Muslims.

This is what Paul is talking about. He doesn't want to needlessly offend his Jewish audience he wants to convert, so in front of them, he follows Jewish dietary practices and other observances. In front of Gentiles, he lives much more freely. It's all about being culturally appropriate. That's not being deceitful. That's being respectful.

And really, no one has to do a lot of thinking to see what's going on in these passages. Sadly, I have seen internet atheists use this argument. Will Muslims stop using this one if they read this blog?

We can hope, but color me skeptical.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters
    (And I affirm the virgin birth)

Can you trust Paul? Let’s plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out. If you’ve spent any time here, you know I don’t really take fundamentalist atheist arguments seriously. They’re notoriously bad. Bottom of the barrel. Hard to get any worse. With one exception. Muslim apologetics is far worse. So yesterday, I’m browsing through Facebook … Continue reading Was Paul A Deceiver?

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Did he trick us all?

----------------------

If you've spent any time here, you know I don't really take fundamentalist atheist arguments seriously. They're notoriously bad. Bottom of the barrel. Hard to get any worse.

With one exception.

It really hurts how bad this is. I think I'm even more embarrassed some organization wanted to put their name at the bottom of this. Yes. Someone actually wants to claim ownership and let people know that they made this.

Where do I start?

Okay. Well first off, I do question that Romans 7 is autobiographical. You can see also here. That being said, even if it was about Paul, what is the worst we get here? We get a man who is obvious about the spiritual struggles that he is going through and speaks in the hyperbolic terminology that is normal for Jewish thinkers at the time.

Keep in mind, when Muhammad started having his experiences, he was convinced for a time that he was demonically possessed or was going crazy or something similar to that. If I am to reject Paul on these grounds, should I not do the same with Muhammad? Again, I don't think Romans 7 is about Paul, but even if I did think that, I would not see this as a problem.

So let's look at this second one. Ah yes, look at that trickster Paul there. He's quite the sly one isn't he? He caught his opponents by trickery!

Unless you do something strange and actually go and read the whole passage. Go take a look. You can find it right here.

Our Muslim friends don't seem to know it, but there's a thing in the world called sarcasm. Paul is employing it here. Yes. He tricked those Corinthians. He tricked them so much by.....not taking anything from them and having others cover the bill.

Yep! Crafty fellow he is! He gave the Corinthians his ministry and didn't charge them anything for it!

Keep in mind, this is something that should be easy to understand, but it is not apparently to the Muslim mind.

So let's look at the last one. Again, Paul is a trickster. He becomes all things to all people. How sneaky he is!

Let's suppose you love hamburgers. Let's now suppose you want to go and do ministry in India. At this point, I don't care if you're Muslim or Christian. Question. If you are wanting to reach the people in India, do you think it would benefit you to go to the Indian people, tell them about your God, and then start eating a hamburger in front of them?

Absolutely not. The cow is a sacred animal to them. They would not want to have anything to do with your message at that point.

I love my tea, but when I have Mormons over to visit me, I don't drink tea in front of them. For Mormons, that violates the Word of Wisdom. If I was to visit Muslims and do ministry, even though I don't eat pork products, I would definitely make sure to not eat them in front of Muslims.

This is what Paul is talking about. He doesn't want to needlessly offend his Jewish audience he wants to convert, so in front of them, he follows Jewish dietary practices and other observances. In front of Gentiles, he lives much more freely. It's all about being culturally appropriate. That's not being deceitful. That's being respectful.

And really, no one has to do a lot of thinking to see what's going on in these passages. Sadly, I have seen internet atheists use this argument. Will Muslims stop using this one if they read this blog?

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

The sad part is the fact they can't even quote the verses rightly but insert insane statements.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
      Did he trick us all?

----------------------

With one exception.

Where do I start?

In Christ,
      Nick Peters

Wow! That is Eider level of apologetics! Taking a verse in isolation in order to make it mean it's exact opposite!

Comment

Hmmm... like that joke where parts of Bible verses are taken out of context to make it look like the Bible commands suicide? That's why you don't take things out of context! And don't go jumping off tall buildings because of a verse in Psalms either.
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Wow! That is Eider level of apologetics! Taking a verse in isolation in order to make it mean it's exact opposite!
          Sadly, it's about the typical level of contra-Christian material from Muslims one runs across online.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Sadly, it's about the typical level of contra-Christian material from Muslims one runs across online.
            Well it sort of explains how they believed the Koran in the first place. Not much discernment.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              This meme tells me either its totally dishonesty or a reading problem on their part.

Comment