Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Thoughts on Orlando

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Orlando

What do I think about it all?

The link can be found here.

The text is as follows:

What do I think about the recent massacre? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

I do not watch much news, so I was surprised when I kept getting Facebook notices yesterday about people marking themselves safe in Orlando. As I checked, I found out about a shooting that had taken place. In a massacre that had taken place in a homosexual night club, around 50 people were left dead. Many of us were quite horrified. Now I will say I am not one strong in empathy. My wife is that one. Still, I know that something is wrong.

It's interesting to see the responses taking place. The shooter was someone who swore allegiance to ISIS. Still, despite this being a Muslim who swore allegiance to a terrorist group, it is amazing that Christianity is still getting the blame. We are getting the blame because we have enabled something like this supposedly with "anti-LGBT" laws.

Islam doesn't need our help. Islam already has a number of pronouncements against homosexuality on its own. I think instead this leaves a lot of moderns in a state of confusion. On the one hand, they want to say Islam is a religion of peace. On the other hand, they want to condemn anything that they think goes against homosexuality. Here in America, we who are Christians disagree with your lifestyle and say we don't want to see the government endorsing it. In Muslim countries, they will drop walls on you. Try to go to these Muslim countries and have a gay parade and see what happens.

Also, passing laws against behaviors does not equal a hatred towards the people. We disagree with a behavior. It does not mean in any way we hate the person for we can often disagree with our own behavior. We all do things we know that we shouldn't. Part of the freedom in our American society is the freedom to disagree, but so few people disagree and discuss the issue any more. They instead discuss the persons who hold to the opinion.

I found it interesting to hear of people who were saying that this is why they left the church and Christianity. Again, this was still a Muslim loyal to ISIS who did this, but somehow it got back to the church. Unfortunately, people quote Leviticus in an incorrect way. Now I think there's a powerful argument to be made that the holiness code of Leviticus 18 and 20 can still apply in large part, but that gets into a lot of reading of Scripture and hermeneutics that can be difficult. It's an argument that we can make, but perhaps there is a better way.

After all, this assumes that no one would have any problem with homosexuality were it not for the Bible. This is just false. Even long before Christ it was seen as wrong to accuse someone of taking part in a homosexual relationship. In many cases, it was a man allowing himself to be treated as a woman which was seen as shameful. In the Greco-Roman world, there were mixed opinions, except on lesbianism. Most everyone condemned lesbianism. These condemnations were from people who were not following the Bible at all.

In fact, a common practice of the day was pederasty. This was a sexual relationship between a grown man and a young boy until the boy came of age. The man was not necessarily homosexual as he could have a wife as well, but this was seen as normal and according to nature in many ways. Today, most of us would look at something like the North American Man-Boy Love Association and condemn it. It would be considered as pedophilia today. (Although give it a few years and we'll see what happens with pedophilia in the world) This was for the most part accepted and today, we would not share that opinion.

You can remove the Bible and still have a case against homosexual practice just like some of the ancient Greeks did. Unfortunately, too many growing up and leaving the church never consider the case against homosexual behavior. They just have a stance they don't question and then say "Well if the Bible is against that, then it must be wrong." (Unfortunately, this ties in with inerrancy as well as it is thought that if the Bible is wrong in this, can we take it seriously on anything else?) Of course, I don't think the Bible is wrong, but the debate is not about the Bible even. It is about a practice.

If there is one thing that I found sad about it, it was in telling Allie last night that so many Christians were saying we are against the violence that took place. Now why would that be sad? Is it because I am in favor of the violence. No! Not at all! This was a wicked and evil act! What was sad is that we think we need to say it. It's as if we are in a position where unless we come out and say we condemn the violence, that the world will look and think that we automatically support it. Is it a fault with how we are living Christianity or a fault of how we are explaining Christianity or both?

To go political, I also see that Obama made a statement. I have done a search of this statement. Nowhere in it is ISIS or Islam mentioned. I find it sad that our president is willing to speak out against people who are not wanting to allow transgenders to use the opposite bathroom, but when a shooting like this takes place, he cannot speak out against ISIS at all. ISIS is responsible for this. Why are we so hesitant to name the enemy?

It's also easy to blame the guns. I happen to support the second amendment. Guns are not the problem but evil people with guns. I have no fear of a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun. It's my contention that if you set up an area and declare it a "gun-free zone" you might as well put up a sign that says "Sitting ducks." If an evil person wants to get a gun, they will get a gun. No law will stop them. If a law against murder is not stopping them, why would a law against guns?

No. The problem is we have lost our drive toward virtue and character. We live in a world where we seek the best for ourselves only and pleasure is the highest god. We don't think seriously about being a good citizen. Most of us do not know how to engage in moral thinking. In fact, most of us don't know how to engage in thinking. We talk so much about our feelings and we say so little about our thoughts. It has reached the point where if we feel it, then it must be true without really considering that our feelings could be wrong.

So in conclusion, what can be said? Yes. This was evil. I hate to have to say it because I shouldn't need to, but we do condemn this. Some of you might use this as an excuse to avoid Christianity, but I urge you to look at the historical case for the resurrection instead and then decide. No. Changing gun laws will not make this less likely to happen. Finally, we need to name our enemy. ISIS is a threat and they are destroying societies in the Middle East and persecuting Christians and they can train people over here just as easily right under our noses.

The solution again is the same. It's time for the church to be the church.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Here in America, we who are Christians disagree with your lifestyle and say we don't want to see the government endorsing it.
    There are unfortunately many professed Christians who do far worse things than simply that.

You can remove the Bible and still have a case against homosexual practice just like some of the ancient Greeks did.
    Yes, but when people defend homosexual activity, they're typically not referring to pederasty and pedophilia.

To go political, I also see that Obama made a statement. I have done a search of this statement. Nowhere in it is ISIS or Islam mentioned. I find it sad that our president is willing to speak out against people who are not wanting to allow transgenders to use the opposite bathroom, but when a shooting like this takes place, he cannot speak out against ISIS at all. ISIS is responsible for this. Why are we so hesitant to name the enemy?
    This is inaccurate. Obama has specifically named and condemned ISIS/ISIL when it was clear that the organization was behind an attack. But at the time of his speech yesterday, it wasn't clear that ISIS was truly behind it, and it's technically still not clear. There are reports that the shooter swore allegiance, but his ex-wife said that during their marriage, he wasn't particularly religious, and she and several others who knew him said he was mentally unstable. It's possible that if he really said it, it was more out of spur-of-the-moment derangement than specifically being sent out by ISIS.

It's also easy to blame the guns. I happen to support the second amendment. Guns are not the problem but evil people with guns. I have no fear of a law-abiding citizen carrying a gun. It's my contention that if you set up an area and declare it a "gun-free zone" you might as well put up a sign that says "Sitting ducks." If an evil person wants to get a gun, they will get a gun. No law will stop them. If a law against murder is not stopping them, why would a law against guns?
    A law against murder might not stop an evil person from committing murder, but a law against guns might force him to use a less deadly weapon, limiting the number of casualties. At the very least, I think it's a fair argument that someone who beat his wife and was reported to be mentally unstable shouldn't be allowed to straight-up purchase a gun.
    Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

I don't think that all forms o[f] slavery are inherently immoral.--seer

Comment

Originally posted by fm93 View Post
      There are unfortunately many professed Christians who do far worse things than simply that.
      I would like to see who they are and it's noteworthy that the majority of Christians will disagree with them.

Yes, but when people defend homosexual activity, they're typically not referring to pederasty and pedophilia.
      Which isn't the point.

This is inaccurate. Obama has specifically named and condemned ISIS/ISIL when it was clear that the organization was behind an attack. But at the time of his speech yesterday, it wasn't clear that ISIS was truly behind it, and it's technically still not clear. There are reports that the shooter swore allegiance, but his ex-wife said that during their marriage, he wasn't particularly religious, and she and several others who knew him said he was mentally unstable. It's possible that if he really said it, it was more out of spur-of-the-moment derangement than specifically being sent out by ISIS.
      So he says Allahu Akbar and swears allegiance to ISIS and yet....we should be suspicious.

A law against murder might not stop an evil person from committing murder, but a law against guns might force him to use a less deadly weapon, limiting the number of casualties. At the very least, I think it's a fair argument that someone who beat his wife and was reported to be mentally unstable shouldn't be allowed to straight-up purchase a gun.
      I have no problem with that. We have enough gun laws on the books. The question is are they being enforced properly? Also, if an evil person wants to commit a murder, I do not think a law will stop him in itself. Perhaps if we actually punished the criminal that might have an effect.

Comment

I would like to see who they are and it's noteworthy that the majority of Christians will disagree with them.
        It is one thing to say "I believe God disapproves of all same-sex sexual activity." It's another to disown one's children after they come out as gay, or to agree to sponsor impoverished children for a humanitarian organization like World Vision, then rescind the sponsorship after World Vision decides to allow gay Christians to assist with humanitarian operations.

Which isn't the point.
        I was under the impression that what some Greeks condemned was pederasty and pedophilia.

So he says Allahu Akbar and swears allegiance to ISIS and yet....we should be suspicious.
        At the very least, the claim that Obama is unwilling to name or speak out against ISIS/ISIL is false, because he has done that.

And yes, I still say some degree of skepticism should be reserved about whether he was specifically sent by ISIS on a mission if he was reported to be mentally unstable and not particularly religious.

I have no problem with that. We have enough gun laws on the books. The question is are they being enforced properly? Also, if an evil person wants to commit a murder, I do not think a law will stop him in itself. Perhaps if we actually punished the criminal that might have an effect.
        Certainly other laws need to be more stringently enforced as well.
        Learn to do right; seek justice. Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless; plead the case of the widow.--Isaiah 1:17

Comment

It is one thing to say "I believe God disapproves of all same-sex sexual activity." It's another to disown one's children after they come out as gay, or to agree to sponsor impoverished children for a humanitarian organization like World Vision, then rescind the sponsorship after World Vision decides to allow gay Christians to assist with humanitarian operations.
          I first off want specifics on the former and for the latter, If we are talking about people who are actively living a homosexual lifestyle unrepentantly, then yes, I don't think we should support them.

I was under the impression that what some Greeks condemned was pederasty and pedophilia.
          Some did sure, but most of them found no problem with it.

At the very least, the claim that Obama is unwilling to name or speak out against ISIS/ISIL is false, because he has done that.

And yes, I still say some degree of skepticism should be reserved about whether he was specifically sent by ISIS on a mission if he was reported to be mentally unstable and not particularly religious.
          I would like to see where he has done this because he actively refuses to condemn Islam.

Certainly other laws need to be more stringently enforced as well.
          Such as.

Comment

I first off want specifics on the former and for the latter, If we are talking about people who are actively living a homosexual lifestyle unrepentantly, then yes, I don't think we should support them.
            Regarding the first issue, here's the report that resonates the most (you can find plenty of other examples online):

After what felt like an eternity, her mom finally responded. "I don't know what we could have done for God to have given us a fag as a child," she said before hanging up.

As soon as the line went dead, Jackie began sobbing. Still, she convinced herself that her parents would come around and accept her, despite what they perceived to be her flaw. As planned, she drove to Canada to celebrate her birthday with friends. When her debit card didn't work on the second day of the trip, she figured it was because she was in another country. Once back in the States, however, she got a call from her older brother. "He said, 'Mom and Dad don't want to talk to you, but I'm supposed to tell you what's going to happen,'" Jackie recalls. "And he's like, 'All your cards are going to be shut off, and Mom and Dad want you to take the car and drop it off at this specific location. Your phone's going to last for this much longer. They don't want you coming to the house, and you're not to contact them. You're not going to get any money from them. Nothing. And if you don't return the car, they're going to report it stolen.'

Regarding the second issue:

A policy change announced Monday [March 24, 2014] will now permit gay Christians in legal same-sex marriages to be employed at one of America's largest Christian charities.
            http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...-marriage.html

Keep in mind, World Vision didn't say "We think it's Biblically okay for Christians to have same-sex marriages." They simply decided to hire such Christians to do charity work for them.

Then later:

Only two days after announcing it would hire Christians in same-sex marriages, World Vision U.S. has reversed its ground-breaking decision after weathering intense criticism from evangelical leaders.
            Stearns acknowledged Wednesday [March 26] that "a number" of child sponsors canceled their sponsorship in the past 48 hours in protest of the change to World Vision's conduct policy.

"That grieves us, because the children we serve will suffer because of that," he told reporters.

I would like to see where he has done this because he actively refuses to condemn Islam.
            He believes that ISIS is so much a perversion of Islam that the group essentially follows a different religion altogether, so he doesn't condemn Islam because he doesn't think it's genuine Islam that ISIS represents. But your initial claim was that Obama doesn't condemn the group known as ISIS/ISIL, and that part isn't true.

The threat from terrorism is real, but we will overcome it. We will destroy ISIL and any other organization that tries to harm us. Our success won't depend on tough talk, or abandoning our values, or giving into fear. That's what groups like ISIL are hoping for. Instead, we will prevail by being strong and smart, resilient and relentless, and by drawing upon every aspect of American power.
            ISIL does not speak for Islam. They are thugs and killers, part of a cult of death, and they account for a tiny fraction of more than a billion Muslims around the world -- including millions of patriotic Muslim Americans who reject their hateful ideology.

Such as.
            More heavily punishing people who broke the law, I'd say. I'm sure you'd agree that a mere three-month punishment for the Stanford rapist was a joke, and the rapist shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.
            Last edited by fm93; 06-13-2016, 01:28 PM.

Comment

The problem is we have lost our drive toward virtue and character.
              So, you presume to define virtue and character for other people? This is the foundation of your sin. When you decide to mind your business and allow others peacefully to mind theirs then you will have discovered the love of your fellow man that your Lord Jesus called for.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                So, you presume to define virtue and character for other people? This is the foundation of your sin. When you decide to mind your business and allow others peacefully to mind theirs then you will have discovered the love of your fellow man that your Lord Jesus called for.
                Yeah, Apologiaphoenix, you should not presume to condemn people who peacefully murder homosexuals. Just love your fellow man.
                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Regarding the first issue, here's the report that resonates the most (you can find plenty of other examples online):

After what felt like an eternity, her mom finally responded. "I don't know what we could have done for God to have given us a fag as a child," she said before hanging up.

As soon as the line went dead, Jackie began sobbing. Still, she convinced herself that her parents would come around and accept her, despite what they perceived to be her flaw. As planned, she drove to Canada to celebrate her birthday with friends. When her debit card didn't work on the second day of the trip, she figured it was because she was in another country. Once back in the States, however, she got a call from her older brother. "He said, 'Mom and Dad don't want to talk to you, but I'm supposed to tell you what's going to happen,'" Jackie recalls. "And he's like, 'All your cards are going to be shut off, and Mom and Dad want you to take the car and drop it off at this specific location. Your phone's going to last for this much longer. They don't want you coming to the house, and you're not to contact them. You're not going to get any money from them. Nothing. And if you don't return the car, they're going to report it stolen.'
                  I think you'd know I condemn that and frankly it's because the church dropped the ball on sexual issues and we don't know how to think about them any more and run from what is different. I think of the love of Christ. No one showed such love to repentant sinners. No one spoke such red hot words about sin.

Regarding the second issue:

A policy change announced Monday [March 24, 2014] will now permit gay Christians in legal same-sex marriages to be employed at one of America's largest Christian charities.
                  http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...-marriage.html

Keep in mind, World Vision didn't say "We think it's Biblically okay for Christians to have same-sex marriages." They simply decided to hire such Christians to do charity work for them.

Then later:

Only two days after announcing it would hire Christians in same-sex marriages, World Vision U.S. has reversed its ground-breaking decision after weathering intense criticism from evangelical leaders.
                  Stearns acknowledged Wednesday [March 26] that "a number" of child sponsors canceled their sponsorship in the past 48 hours in protest of the change to World Vision's conduct policy.

"That grieves us, because the children we serve will suffer because of that," he told reporters.
                  Note what it says. "Christians in same-sex marriages." That means unrepentant and giving tacit approval to it. I think people were right to pull their support.

He believes that ISIS is so much a perversion of Islam that the group essentially follows a different religion altogether, so he doesn't condemn Islam because he doesn't think it's genuine Islam that ISIS represents. But your initial claim was that Obama doesn't condemn the group known as ISIS/ISIL, and that part isn't true.

The threat from terrorism is real, but we will overcome it. We will destroy ISIL and any other organization that tries to harm us. Our success won't depend on tough talk, or abandoning our values, or giving into fear. That's what groups like ISIL are hoping for. Instead, we will prevail by being strong and smart, resilient and relentless, and by drawing upon every aspect of American power.
                  ISIL does not speak for Islam. They are thugs and killers, part of a cult of death, and they account for a tiny fraction of more than a billion Muslims around the world -- including millions of patriotic Muslim Americans who reject their hateful ideology.
                  I would like to see him do it. He doesn't do a thing to them and they target more and more of us. Also, what aspect of Islam is ISIS denying? Seems to me they're living out what Muhammad did.

More heavily punishing people who broke the law, I'd say. I'm sure you'd agree that a mere three-month punishment for the Stanford rapist was a joke, and the rapist shouldn't be allowed to own a gun.
                  Did you read my piece on that? Personally, I'd favor castration for rapists and child molesters. I have no patience for them. I also wouldn't mind seeing the death penalty enforced more. We send someone to death row and they sit there for 20 years. That's ridiculous.

Comment

Note what it says. "Christians in same-sex marriages." That means unrepentant and giving tacit approval to it. I think people were right to pull their support.
                    I'm sorry, I can't agree with this. What does it matter who helps with humanitarian charity work? As Luke's gospel reports, the Pharisees asked Jesus if it was lawful to heal people on the Sabbath, and Jesus rhetorically responded "If one of you has a child or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull it out?" Similarly, if any people of any creed come up to you and asks if they can help you help impoverished children, will you not allow them?

And besides, responding by dropping your sponsorship essentially betrays the children and uses them as pawns in a theological protest. I don't believe that's right.

Comment

I'm sorry, I can't agree with this. What does it matter who helps with humanitarian charity work? As Luke's gospel reports, the Pharisees asked Jesus if it was lawful to heal people on the Sabbath, and Jesus rhetorically responded "If one of you has a child or an ox that falls into a well on the Sabbath day, will you not immediately pull it out?" Similarly, if any people of any creed come up to you and asks if they can help you help impoverished children, will you not allow them?

And besides, responding by dropping your sponsorship essentially betrays the children and uses them as pawns in a theological protest. I don't believe that's right.
                      Because you're supposed to show the world what Jesus is like in this and you can't do that if you're living in a way directly contradictory to that. This is a way of saying that we approve of these relationships and think they fall under the image of Christianity. They don't, and this is something in 1 Cor. 6 we are told specifically to not be deceived by.

Those who want to help children can find several other organizations that will help the children. World Vision isn't the only one.

Comment

Because you're supposed to show the world what Jesus is like
                        But note what Jesus said about showing the world what he's like: "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." I say that anyone who exhibits a Christ-like love (such as wanting to work to take care of impoverished children) at all would be showing the world what Jesus is like. Certainly there are other attributes of Christ, but Jesus didn't say that the knowledge was "by strict adherence to scriptural interpretation" or "justice."

Those who want to help children can find several other organizations that will help the children. World Vision isn't the only one.
                        What of the children who basically get sent the message "We would rather break our promise to help you than allow certain people who want to help you to...well, help you"?

Comment

But note what Jesus said about showing the world what he's like: "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." I say that anyone who exhibits a Christ-like love (such as wanting to work to take care of impoverished children) at all would be showing the world what Jesus is like. Certainly there are other attributes of Christ, but Jesus didn't say that the knowledge was "by strict adherence to scriptural interpretation" or "justice."
                          And we are also told to not do evil that good may result. If people move away from Christianity, then it is fine to not want to support them any more.

What of the children who basically get sent the message "We would rather break our promise to help you than allow certain people who want to help you to...well, help you"?
                          Do you know that these people did not give their money to other charities or ceased to care for children?

Comment

For folk like the individual in question they will find a way to inflict the damage they want to. for example explosive devices are ridiculously easy to manufacture and can be built using common household items.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Personally, I'd favor castration for rapists and child molesters.
                              Sadly that's been shown to be ineffective in stopping them.
                              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                              -Ben Witherington III

Comment