Book Plunge: Making Gay Okay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    Interestingly enough, the eugenics movement often used the same argument too about how they were 'purifying' the human race. We all know what happened to them and what they ended up doing...
    Yes, they are still around in the form of Planned Parenthood.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
      Your oddly nitpicky about one gathering. While the SBC and the ABC split it wasn't over slavery it was over women's ordination. Bear in mind that at one point the entire nation approved of slave holding and it really was not illegal anywhere, so if you want to attack Christianity you may as well attack every denomination. And while you could say the SBC has been "special" in catching up to the rest of the scholars, I don't think there are too many here that are actually SBC's and they do not represent Christianity as a whole, just a small fraction of Christian Churches. So you're attacking using a small portion doesn't hold up well. Not to mention it shows a crap ton of ignorance when you come on here saying "well the SBC did this" And if you read people's profiles you'd see things like "orthodox, non denominational, Catholic, Presbyterian, Lutheran Episcopal, Methodist" We aren't creedal but we are scholarly or we try to be. Also Souther Christian Conservative has a BIIIG Meaning with a LOT of denominations, ex, I have Methodists and Presbyterians and Lutherans in my lineage so be careful what you try to fabricate and to whom you attempt to fabricate it toward. Just sayin.
      Next I think you have a lump idea that "Crazy Christians want gays to be straight" Um no no not really. What we want is to point out that the relations of same sex aren't natural and according to us sinful. We expect or hope that someone claiming to be Orthodox who also feels same sex attraction recognizes that its against the Bible and chooses to abstain.
      However what ever others do, we know we can't change it and we don't expect it to be changed but a person should not be forced to do business. On principle the right to refuse service to anyone is the right of a private business. Now I may think its a little silly on several levels, but forcing beliefs on someone who gets NO government assistance is wrong. period.
      In Gary's world, every Christian who isn't a universalist is a fundamentalist conservative.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Another meme, that has absolutely no actual historical understanding behind it? Christian church's were one of the biggest supporters of anti slavery, in pre civil war America. The first women's rights convention was held in a church and many pastors and Christian groups were in support of it. Likewise, if you haven't noticed, Martin Luther King Jr was a Christian minster. Besides, non Christians have supported plenty of bad movements themselves or are you unaware of the links between atheist, the progressive movement, and eugenics? Many atheist and progressives were in support of segregation and in support of racist eugenics policy (in fact, yet again, Christians were opposed to racist eugenics policy and I can prove this too). Do yourself a favor Gary, stop talking. You'll do atheism a great favor by doing that.
        Actually I think he is right on big time. It is you that needs to yourself a favor.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          Actually I think he is right on big time. It is you that needs to yourself a favor.
          Too bad most people around here don't take you seriously (including myself). Thanks, an endorsement by you is the kiss of death. Thanks for endorsing Gary. It makes it that much easier to reject everything he says.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Your oddly nitpicky about one gathering. While the SBC and the ABC split it wasn't over slavery it was over women's ordination. Bear in mind that at one point the entire nation approved of slave holding and it really was not illegal anywhere, so if you want to attack Christianity you may as well attack every denomination. And while you could say the SBC has been "special" in catching up to the rest of the scholars, I don't think there are too many here that are actually SBC's and they do not represent Christianity as a whole, just a small fraction of Christian Churches. So you're attacking using a small portion doesn't hold up well. Not to mention it shows a crap ton of ignorance when you come on here saying "well the SBC did this" And if you read people's profiles you'd see things like "orthodox, non denominational, Catholic, Presbyterian, Lutheran Episcopal, Methodist" We aren't creedal but we are scholarly or we try to be. Also Souther Christian Conservative has a BIIIG Meaning with a LOT of denominations, ex, I have Methodists and Presbyterians and Lutherans in my lineage so be careful what you try to fabricate and to whom you attempt to fabricate it toward. Just sayin.
            Next I think you have a lump idea that "Crazy Christians want gays to be straight" Um no no not really. What we want is to point out that the relations of same sex aren't natural and according to us sinful. We expect or hope that someone claiming to be Orthodox who also feels same sex attraction recognizes that its against the Bible and chooses to abstain.
            However what ever others do, we know we can't change it and we don't expect it to be changed but a person should not be forced to do business. On principle the right to refuse service to anyone is the right of a private business. Now I may think its a little silly on several levels, but forcing beliefs on someone who gets NO government assistance is wrong. period.
            No, the SBC split in the late 80s/early 90s over women's ordination. The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship resulted from that. The SBC split from American Baptists long before that, immediately prior to the Civil War for a few reasons including different understandings of how conventions should work, the northern Baptists moving the convention out of range and, yes, slavery. I've literally written two papers about that at this point.

ETA:

At least three factors led to that fateful schism: disagreements on methods of organization, problems in home mission work, and the slavery controversy.
            The Baptist Heritage, by H. Leon McBeth.

ETA2: Apparently my Google book won't quote.
            Last edited by thewriteranon; 05-12-2016, 08:45 PM.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              No, the SBC split in the late 80s/early 90s over women's ordination. The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship resulted from that. The SBC split from American Baptists long before that, immediately prior to the Civil War for a few reasons including different understandings of how conventions should work, the northern Baptists moving the convention out of range and, yes, slavery. I've literally written two papers about that at this point.
              Which disproves rather than proves Gary's view.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Which disproves rather than proves Gary's view.
                I really have no idea what Gary's point is, but I am by default inclined to disagree with him. I just wanted to clarify since I just finished The Baptist Identity this last Monday.

"I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I really have no idea what Gary's point is, but I am by default inclined to disagree with him. I just wanted to clarify since I just finished The Baptist Identity this last Monday.
                  Gary is trying to argue that Christians have been on the 'wrong side' of social issues, including slavery. If Christian groups were splitting over the issue of slavery (and they were) that would show that many Christians were anti slavery and put a huge hole in his claims.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Gary is trying to argue that Christians have been on the 'wrong side' of social issues, including slavery. If Christian groups were splitting over the issue of slavery (and they were) that would show that many Christians were anti slavery and put a huge hole in his claims.
                    Oh well, then for sure. There were several battalions entirely from Texas that fought for the North, in fact.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

CONSERVATIVE Christians have been on the wrong side of most social issues. LIBERAL Christians have often been on the front lines of social justice movements and I applaud and honor LIBERAL Christians for their heroic and noble efforts!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                        CONSERVATIVE Christians have been on the wrong side of most social issues. LIBERAL Christians have often been on the front lines of social justice movements and I applaud and honor LIBERAL Christians for their heroic and noble efforts!
                        Admit it Gary... you want to wear that giant powdered wig out in public without shame.
                        That's what
                        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Gary reminds me of the preacher writing his sermon and putting on the side "Weak point. Pound pulpit harder."

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                            In other words, Gary is still making up things in order to make his rants sound right. What is a 'conservative' and a 'liberal' Christian as you are defining them? Is your black/white fundy atheist brain unable to absorb the reality that it is quite possible for somebody to be both, depending on the issue in question?
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In other words, Gary is still making up things in order to make his rants sound right. What is a 'conservative' and a 'liberal' Christian as you are defining them? Is your black/white fundy atheist brain unable to absorb the reality that it is quite possible for somebody to be both, depending on the issue in question?
                              Forreal. Judgement of what would be a liberal Christian (other than radical obvious things like unitarianism) pre-Fundamentalist surge of the twentieth century is pretty subjective.

Katniss Everdeen

Comment

Forreal. Judgement of what would be a liberal Christian (other than radical obvious things like unitarianism) pre-Fundamentalist surge of the twentieth century is pretty subjective.
                                Liberal/conservative are pretty subjective terms to start with, so attempting to argue that one group is 'right' and the other is 'wrong' is like trying to nail jello to a wall. I personally prefer to focus on issues rather than attempting to white wash all liberals/conservatives as being 'on the wrong side of every issue'.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment