Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Polygamy Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Your belief system is evil and immoral....except there's no such thing as evil and immoral really. It's just a pretend label we put on things....but my pretend label is true!
    Take it up with the people who control our "herd", Nick. You can howl all you like, but this issue is settled, in OUR herd, at least.

Comment

Gary. If an opinion is subjective, it doesn't matter how many people think it's subjective. If all morality is subjective, there can't be any good reason to think any moral stance is true.

This isn't difficult. It's basic moral philosophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
        Take it up with the hundreds of millions of Americans, Canadians, Europeans, and other westerners who agree with my worldview (the majority of YOUR herd).
        yawn.gif
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Your belief system is evil and immoral....except there's no such thing as evil and immoral really. It's just a pretend label we put on things....but my pretend label is true!
          It really makes you wonder what sort of god he was worshipping when he claimed to be a Christian. Apparently it never occurred to him that one of the foundational reasons why we've accepted the God of the Judeo/Christian faith is because His character aligns with the ontology found in Natural Theology for the greatest conceivable being, which includes omnibenevolence. Gary's god was likely something closer to that found in Islam, or one purely of his own making.

Comment

well-isnt-that-special-300x211.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
              It really makes you wonder what sort of god he was worshipping when he claimed to be a Christian. Apparently it never occurred to him that one of the foundational reasons why we've accepted the God of the Judeo/Christian faith is because His character aligns with the ontology found in Natural Theology for the greatest conceivable being, which includes omnibenevolence. Gary's god was likely something closer to that found in Islam, or one purely of his own making.
              How about morally therapeutic deism?

Comment

Gary. If an opinion is subjective, it doesn't matter how many people think it's subjective. If all morality is subjective, there can't be any good reason to think any moral stance is true.

This isn't difficult. It's basic moral philosophy.
                I never claimed that any moral stance is "true". I only claimed that the modern, Western, moral stance...is!

The current, Western moral stance exists, like it or not, whether true or false in your worldview.

There is no "true" morality...only a morality that you personally choose to live by, whether than be the current morality of your "herd" or that of a minority in the herd, or your own morality. However, if whatever non-majority morality you choose to conduct your behavior within is too far outside the norms of morality of the herd, you just might find yourself expelled...or eliminated.
                Last edited by Gary; 04-21-2016, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Did your God drown young children and babies in a Great Flood due to the "sins" of the adults?
                  Did your God go through every house in ancient Egypt and kill the oldest child?
                  Did your God order the slaughter of every Amalekite child?

Comment

I never claimed that any moral stance is "true". I only claimed that the modern, Western, moral stance...is!
                    I don't know how you can not be dying of embarrassment when you say things like this. And your complete lack of awareness combined with your smug self-confidence is practically cringe-inducing.

The current, Western moral stance exists, like it or not, true or false, in your worldview.
                    "Your worldview is that a current Western moral stance exists" Huh. Well that's quite the tautology, isn't it?

There is no "true" morality...only a morality that you personally choose to live by, whether than be the current morality of your "herd" or that of a minority in the herd, or your own morality.
                    So, you don't believe Christians and their God are "truly" immoral? Oh, good. Gary, here's an idea. Just an idea mind you. How bout you get off the internet for awhile, sit down with a notebook, and actually think through the dilemmas you create for yourself.

However, if whatever non-majority morality you choose to conduct your behavior within is too far outside the norms of morality of the herd, you just might find yourself expelled...or eliminated.
                    Won't be the first time Christians found themselves expelled and eliminated for standing for what they believe in. As the early church did, we'll continue accepting the lost, feeding the poor, and defending the right to life of the innocent while the societies we live in spit on us and curse us for refusing to conform and partake in your modern ritual group-think.

Comment

I don't know how you can not be dying of embarrassment when you say things like this. And your complete lack of awareness combined with your smug self-confidence is practically cringe-inducing.

"Your worldview is that a current Western moral stance exists" Huh. Well that's quite the tautology, isn't it?

So, you don't believe Christians and their God are "truly" immoral? Oh, good. Gary, here's an idea. Just an idea mind you. How bout you get off the internet for awhile, sit down with a notebook, and actually think through the dilemmas you create for yourself.

Won't be the first time Christians found themselves expelled and eliminated for standing for what they believe in. As the early church did, we'll continue accepting the lost, feeding the poor, and defending the right to life of the innocent while the societies we live in spit on us and curse us for refusing to conform and partake in your modern ritual group-think.
                      Your brainwashing is severe...

Comment

Did your God drown young children and babies in a Great Flood due to the "sins" of the adults?
                        Did your God go through every house in ancient Egypt and kill the oldest child?
                        Did your God order the slaughter of every Amalekite child?
                        Well, I could show you how mankind walked itself out of God's hand of protection so that they suffered the consequences of a world already fallen, and were left to the whims of the devourer. I could point you to OT scholars who tell us that phrases like "utterly destroy to the last man, woman, and child" were never intended literally and were, in fact, a common type of war speech, I might even be able to explain theological concepts like Molinism which examine how free will and God's omniscience are compatible. But you've demonstrated for us that you've already got your mind made up about these things, and that you're too set in your bitterness, too programmed towards black and white thinking, and too intellectually lazy to consider that maybe the Judaeo/Christian God ain't the boogieman you think he is.

Comment

Your brainwashing is severe...
                          Yeah...good comeback.

Comment

Yeah...good comeback.
                            The truth is what it is.

Comment

Yeah...good comeback.
                              Much, much easier than thinking through your position.
                              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Gary, correct me if I am wrong, but you believe there are no objective values. Instead, you believe that people should obey whatever their society says because otherwise society might expel or punish them. So with this worldview (1) what is the basis for societal reform and (2) what is the basis for condemning another society?

Comment