Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Polygamy Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    well at least he admits the truth there to bad he can't honestly handle his opponents beliefs and prefers to build up strawmen of his own making to attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary View Post
      Dear Christians: Don't let churchmen tell you that you cannot read the Bible and understand what it says. Don't believe the spin of churchmen. Read the Bible as you would any other book. It says what it says, folks.
      Oh look, another burning strawman. You're not very good at reading forum posts, let alone any other book.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Isn't there a rule around here against make up false statements and attributing them to a TW member?
        Pot, meet kettle
        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Isn't it odd that the Creator of the Universe allegedly inspired/wrote the Bible as a message to mankind, but, wrote it in such a confusing manner that we need someone like littlepix to tell us what God REALLY meant to say.
          Your black/white fundy thought process is still running your life, eh Gary? You mean we actually need to educate ourselves and try to learn things before we read the Bible? You must have been quite fun in your literature classes. Amazing how many of the things I learned about interpretation of literature were things I learned about when I was a kid in school. Amazing how I've had 9 year old Sunday School students who are better at Biblical interpretation than so called grown men and women. It's almost as if you're fundy past keeps you from even attempting to understand the Bible. I haven't had any special training in the Bible or in biblical interpretation. Most of my post secondary education has been in science and technology and very little of it has been in humanities or literature, yet I seem to be better at this than you are. Why is that? Is it because you don't want to understand or because your fundy past keeps running your life for you?

Thanks littlepix!
          Amazing how one can take tools of interpretation that they learned back in secondary school and apply those same tools in their adult lives. Did you sleep though most of your education Gary? That would explain a lot...

Dear Readers: Isn't it obvious. MEN wrote the Bible and the inspiration for what is written in the Bible is not from a god, but from the very MEN writing the books! THAT is why it appears so confusing and contradictory to people who read it literally because it IS confusing and contradictory! Christians have had two thousands years to concoct the most elaborate "spin" to explain away these contradictions, but I urge you to use your brain: The reason that Christians don't want you to read the Bible literally is because the Bible is literally uneducated, scientifically-ignorant, superstitious nonsense. That is why Christians will tell you that you must read their "scholars" to understand what their inerrant God really meant to say.
          It's only confusing and contradictory to literalistic fundies, who became fundy atheist and still haven't ditched the fundy thought process of their past. Tell me Gary, do you read all literature with the same sort of literalistic fundy thought process that you do with the Bible? How many failing grades did you get in high school and college English class because you couldn't understand that there is often more to something than the 'plain reading of the text'?

What a joke!
          Yeah, you are a joke. Thanks for telling us.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrift View Post
            Jim and Gary's heads are going to spin (literally? maybe) when they hear that a California High School football team was encouraged by their coach to "rip the heart from [their] enemy and leave it bleeding on the ground".

After the motivating speech, apparently the High School team went on to CRUSH their opponents!!

Amazing how I haven't had any real special training in the Biblical interpretation and learned, back in grade school that writers don't always literally mean what they write. All I've really done is the same thing and figured that writers of any subject, don't always mean just what they say. Just goes to show how Gary and his kind are still run by their fundy past.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              So, answer the question instead of the usual nonsense of trying to win points by demeaning the opposition. When the Bible says that it was God that commanded the slaughter of infants and nursing children, its an exageration? God didn't say/command what the Bible claims he said/demanded. Can we apply that interpretation of yours to every thing that the bible says about god lilpix, or just to the cherry picked parts of it that you don't like? How much of what is said about god in the bible would you say is exageration lilpix? I'll tell you, it is truly interesting to see the indoctrinated mind at work, its almost as if there is no way out for you, even facts can not be honestly faced.
              Still ruled by your fundy thought process, eh Jimmy? Did you sleep thought most of your secondary education days Jimmy? I could imagine you most likely would have failed English if it wasn't for cheating off those around you since you seem incapable of understanding things children can understand. Authors don't always mean exactly what they write and people don't always mean exactly what they say. Did you not learn that when you were like, 7?

BTW might I suggest on downloading a spell check?
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Perhaps he should try a little herb, might help him to think outside of the box he is in.
                I'm sure both you and Gary have smoked a lot of 'herb'. Would explain why you two are incapable of understanding grade school level ideas about literature.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That's right, folks.

The All-Knowing, All-Powerful Creator of the Universe was unable to clearly express himself through the words of the authors of the Bible. We need people like Drifty and Nick to explain his words to us. And God forbid we interpret what this god said literally because the literal interpretation of what he said is ignorant, Bronze-Age, superstitious nonsense.
                  Still showing how you would have failed high school English courses, if it wasn't for cheating off others?
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    I'm sure both you and Gary have smoked a lot of 'herb'. Would explain why you two are incapable of understanding grade school level ideas about literature.
                    So Carl Sagan is an idiot too because he smoked herb?
                    "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

Still ruled by your fundy thought process, eh Jimmy? Did you sleep thought most of your secondary education days Jimmy? I could imagine you most likely would have failed English if it wasn't for cheating off those around you since you seem incapable of understanding things children can understand. Authors don't always mean exactly what they write and people don't always mean exactly what they say. Did you not learn that when you were like, 7?

And where did you refute his point in this reply, exactly? Seems to me you only provided insults.
                      "Look at what happened after the European peoples succeeded in removing the clergy from public life and restricting them to their churches. They built up human being promoted enlightenment, creativity and rebellion. States which are based on religion confine their people in the circle of faith and fear."-Raif Badawi

Comment

So a bunch of bronze age myth-makers knew more about literature than someone with a modern secondary education?

Comment

• Originally posted by Secular Liberation View Post
                          So a bunch of bronze age myth-makers knew more about literature than someone with a modern secondary education?
                          Got to love that chronological snobbery and slight racism implied in your post, but considering that you three morons fail to understand that people don't always mean just what they say and write, I'd say they are quite a bit smarter than you three are. How badly are you failing your English courses?
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

So Carl Sagan is an idiot too because he smoked herb?
                            Been around quite a few pot smokers Circular Balloonist. They sure were not very impressive with their mental prowess (as you three morons keep proving).
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

And where did you refute his point in this reply, exactly? Seems to me you only provided insults.
                              It was already answered, circular balloonist. You guys are literalistic fundies who seem to seriously think that people always say/write just what they mean. Are you failing English class as your idols here did, when they were your age?
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Got to love that chronological snobbery and slight racism implied in your post, but considering that you three morons fail to understand that people don't always mean just what they say and write, I'd say they are quite a bit smarter than you three are. How badly are you failing your English courses?
                                Not chronological snobbery nor is it racism. For someone so non-PC you seem to use it to your conservative religious advantage. What's I'm saying is simple facts about how ancient people's understood the world in the 7th century (yes, 7th century, when most scholars outside your bubble believe they were written). If you read The Iliad and read the role of gods in the epic would you consider it anti-Greek racism to say the authors were misusing the events? Of course not. You can say the same for the scripture that is used by the likes of you. It's also insane to believe those primitives knew more about literary symbolism than someone who's been to high school. Even Junior high school students would know more about different forms of literary resources than them. You're spinning a lot for your inbred belief system.

Comment