Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I was under the impression that moonshine, traditionally understood, doesn't really exist today because it was a term that was used to refer to illegal home-distilled stuff. Basically, that any moonshine you could reasonably buy today wouldn't be made in a radiator or make you go blind or whatever.

I'd also like to try moonshine, though.
    Even in its hey day moonshine varied in quality ranging from decent "sippin' whisky" to the dangerous stuff that could make you go blind. The makers of the former were quite proud of the quality of their product.

Back in the late 80s I had some moonshine that had been flavored with peaches and was quite tasty.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd most likely use TH for sweetening drinks more than anything (ie, if I'm making a batch of Iced Tea or lemonade and I know there won't be any teetotalers wanting some, I'll opt out the sugar and just put in a couple shots of Tennessee Honey instead).
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
        I'd most likely use TH for sweetening drinks more than anything (ie, if I'm making a batch of Iced Tea or lemonade and I know there won't be any teetotalers wanting some, I'll opt out the sugar and just put in a couple shots of Tennessee Honey instead).
        That's a great use for it! I tried sipping honey whiskey one time and that was a mistake. It works much better as a shooter and also for mixing.
        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
          That's a great use for it! I tried sipping honey whiskey one time and that was a mistake. It works much better as a shooter and also for mixing.
          Yeah, I find flavored whiskeys don't make great sippers... Spiced Whiskeys do fine, though I prefer a decent unflavored whiskey for that kind of thing.

On a related note, folks... I'm aspiring to try an Islay Scotch, since I've had a Speyburn Scotch in the form of Glenfiddich 12-Year (it's GOOD. Makes me want to try some of the older varieties). It seems like my LBS (Liquor Board Store) only carries Bowmore 12s/15s and Laphroaig 10-Year and Quarter Cask. Any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
            Yeah, I find flavored whiskeys don't make great sippers... Spiced Whiskeys do fine, though I prefer a decent unflavored whiskey for that kind of thing.

On a related note, folks... I'm aspiring to try an Islay Scotch, since I've had a Speyburn Scotch in the form of Glenfiddich 12-Year (it's GOOD. Makes me want to try some of the older varieties). It seems like my LBS (Liquor Board Store) only carries Bowmore 12s/15s and Laphroaig 10-Year and Quarter Cask. Any recommendations?
            The Islay Scotches tend to be more peaty/smokey, but certainly not all of them. I like the smokiness, which some of us distinguish from peatiness, but the two tend to go together, 'though some whiskies can be peaty without being smokey. Of the three you mention, I highly recommend the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I've had the other two, and they're decent, but I don't drink very much so I only drink what I really like. (In fact, I recently started a fitness regime and diet and do not plan on drinking anything until I reach my target goal.)
            אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
              The Islay Scotches tend to be more peaty/smokey, but certainly not all of them. I like the smokiness, which some of us distinguish from peatiness, but the two tend to go together, 'though some whiskies can be peaty without being smokey. Of the three you mention, I highly recommend the Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I've had the other two, and they're decent, but I don't drink very much so I only drink what I really like. (In fact, I recently started a fitness regime and diet and do not plan on drinking anything until I reach my target goal.)
              Thanks for the information. I've got Laphroaig Quarter Cask on my "To-Buy" list, though with a $70 price tag for a 750ml bottle, I'm going to wait a bit before I get it (in the meantime, I'm going to try either Buffalo Trace, Gentleman Jack, or Woodford Reserve).

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                Yeah, I tried a Cinnamon Whiskey this weekend and it was impossible to sip. Had to shoot it. Not sure what you could mix it with to make it better. Not something I'll go out and buy anytime soon. My friend said his wife like to add it to her coffee...
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I don't understand the concept of flavored whisky. What's wrong with regular whisky? Just be a man and drink it.
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                    I don't understand the concept of flavored whisky. What's wrong with regular whisky? Just be a man and drink it.
                    A good bottle of whiskey can taste even better than a bottle of the flavored stuff (and goes down just as smooth).

Comment

• Speaking of Woodford Reserve...

Just picked up that fifth today. Good stuff, much smoother than your standard bourbon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                        Speaking of Woodford Reserve...

Just picked up that fifth today. Good stuff, much smoother than your standard bourbon.
                        I heard about that one just the other day...been meaning to try it. Is it pricey?
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          I heard about that one just the other day...been meaning to try it. Is it pricey?
                          Cost me about $47.99, after taxes, bottle deposit, etc. For a frame of reference, a fifth of Jack Daniel's old No. 7 is $33.99 here in Saskatchewan.

So yeah, it's a little pricier than standard whiskey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                            A good bottle of whiskey can taste even better than a bottle of the flavored stuff (and goes down just as smooth).
                            I haven't tried cinnamon-flavored whiskey, but I can't imagine that going down smooth.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Sounds to me like flavored coffee. I can not imagine it being good.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                                Yeah, I tried a Cinnamon Whiskey this weekend and it was impossible to sip. Had to shoot it. Not sure what you could mix it with to make it better. Not something I'll go out and buy anytime soon. My friend said his wife like to add it to her coffee...
                                Was it Fireball? I love that stuff. It's liquid alcoholic candy.
                                "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                                -Marcus Aurelius

Comment