Announcement

Collapse

Fraternity Guidelines

This is a guy's only forum. No girls allowed. Male bonding time.

In here we can leave the seat up, drink from the carton and talk about manly things without fear of the ladies butting in. You know how they can be.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Whisky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't recall seeing any of those in my local liquor store, but I'll check again.
    "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions. I don't recall seeing any of those in my local liquor store, but I'll check again.
      Very few liquor stores will carry those, but some will. They are rather expensive so you're much better off going to a well stocked specialty bar and trying a glass at a time--make sure you have a designated driver!
      אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
        Very few liquor stores will carry those, but some will. They are rather expensive so you're much better off going to a well stocked specialty bar and trying a glass at a time--make sure you have a designated driver!
        That would be nice, but it'd probably be a bit of a road trip to find a bar like that. :(
        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

That would be nice, but it'd probably be a bit of a road trip to find a bar like that. :(
          Shouldn't be too hard. I was introduced to some of the finer Scotches by a Scotsman living in North Carolina.

Comment

Any recommendations on a scotch to try? I'm a bourbon drinker, and I've only tried two scotches ever (Dewar's and Johnnie Walker Red). Neither were very good at all. Perhaps my expectations are misguided and I'm just not a scotch guy. But my ancestry is (mostly) Scottish, so I'd like to give it a fair try.
            I haven't tried either of those, but Scotch is my drink of choice. For a good cheap Scotch (sub ~$50), I'd recommend Glen Moray, Glenlivet, and Glenfidditch. If you're willing to pay a bit more than that, Balvenie and Speyburn are excellent, IMO.

Also, since it's Scotch you're after, Japanese whisky is similar and just as good (not real cheap, though). Hibiki blended and Yamazaki single malt are awesome.

If you want Scotch that's a little (lot) more smoky, try Laphroiag or Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Corryvreckan is 57% ABV, so don't underestimate it.
            Last edited by Zymologist; 01-02-2015, 11:22 PM.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              I haven't tried either of those, but Scotch is my drink of choice. For a good cheap Scotch (sub ~$50), I'd recommend Glen Moray, Glenlivet, and Glenfidditch. If you're willing to pay a bit more than that, Balvenie and Speyburn are excellent, IMO.

Also, since it's Scotch you're after, Japanese whisky is similar and just as good (not real cheap, though). Hibiki blended and Yamazaki single malt are awesome.

If you want Scotch that's a little (lot) more smoky, try Laphroiag or Ardbeg Corryvreckan. Corryvreckan is 57% ABV, so don't underestimate it.
              In terms of peaty/smokiness, the Ardbeg Uigedail is also quite good, but not the standard 10-year-old Ardbeg, despite what many people say. Likewise, for smokiness, I do not recommend the regular Laphroaig, but the Laphroaig quarter cask is highly recommended. Not quite as smokey as these, but worth mention is Lagavulin 16-year-old.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
                In terms of peaty/smokiness, the Ardbeg Uigedail is also quite good, but not the standard 10-year-old Ardbeg, despite what many people say. Likewise, for smokiness, I do not recommend the regular Laphroaig, but the Laphroaig quarter cask is highly recommended. Not quite as smokey as these, but worth mention is Lagavulin 16-year-old.
                I'm still a Scotch noob. I can't exactly wax eloquent on the different kinds, I just know that I like the stuff. Thanks for this; good to know.

Have you ever tried Japanese whisky?

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                  I'm still a Scotch noob. I can't exactly wax eloquent on the different kinds, I just know that I like the stuff. Thanks for this; good to know.

Have you ever tried Japanese whisky?
                  Nope, never tried the Japanese stuff. I don't actually drink that much, but I've become discriminating in my old age.

Comment

If you want a decent starting scotch, I'd say go for a small (375ml) bottle of Glenfiddich 12-Year. I had some a little while ago (READ: Less than an hour ago) neat with a wee splash of water, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Tasted like Famous Grouse, except much smoother (with a fruitier 'nose').

ETA: On a related, equally manly, note: A recipe to make your own bourbon-based BBQ Sauce
                    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 01-03-2015, 08:35 PM.
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Oh, speaking of recipes, and Bourbon, here's something else I learned about during my Southern exposure:

Kentucky Bourbon Pie

It's OK to use extra Bourbon in the recipe, but for the full effect, you have to pour another shot of Bourbon over your piece of pie just before eating it.

Comment

I had Dewar's with seafood the other night. I thought it was ok and went well with seafood but not something I would buy at the liquor store.
                        "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                        -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I bought some Jack Daniel's Tenessee Honey the other day. Good stuff (not Whiskey, technically... it's a liqueur). I also got a small bottle of Old No. 7. VERY good, actually. My brother has told me Gentleman Jack is even better, so I've been pondering getting my hands on a bottle.
                          Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                            I bought some Jack Daniel's Tenessee Honey the other day. Good stuff (not Whiskey, technically... it's a liqueur). I also got a small bottle of Old No. 7. VERY good, actually. My brother has told me Gentleman Jack is even better, so I've been pondering getting my hands on a bottle.
                            Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                            sigpic
                            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I tried moonshine for the first time. Specifically Stills Crossroads Shine. Holy crap, I think it's awesome! I bought legal moonshine because I think that more legal moonshine should be allowed to be produced in Alabama (the ABC board is quite corrupt from what I hear). Also, I wanted stuff that I know for a fact isn't made in a radiator or has lead or any other nasty thing in it. After researching a little bit I found that bad moonshine will really screw your body up.

ETA: My wife even said it wasn't bad when she tried it and she HATES most liquors.
                              Last edited by T-Shirt Ninja; 01-09-2015, 11:35 PM.
                              "Concentrate on what you have to do. Fix your eyes on it. Remind yourself that your task is to be a good human being; remind yourself what nature demands of people. Then do it, without hesitation, and speak the truth as you see it. But with kindness. With humility. Without hypocrisy."
                              -Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by T-Shirt Ninja View Post
                                I tried moonshine for the first time. Specifically Stills Crossroads Shine. Holy crap, I think it's awesome! I bought legal moonshine because I think that more legal moonshine should be allowed to be produced in Alabama (the ABC board is quite corrupt from what I hear). Also, I wanted stuff that I know for a fact isn't made in a radiator or has lead or any other nasty thing in it. After researching a little bit I found that bad moonshine will really screw your body up.
                                I was under the impression that moonshine, traditionally understood, doesn't really exist today because it was a term that was used to refer to illegal home-distilled stuff. Basically, that any moonshine you could reasonably buy today wouldn't be made in a radiator or make you go blind or whatever.

I'd also like to try moonshine, though.

Comment