Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pondering Apologetics ~ Why do all the canvassers have such terrible arguments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Adrift is onto something when he talks about zeal and newfound faith.

Having said that, I remember driving through the bar district of Kansas City on a Friday or Saturday night a couple years ago (no, I was not out drinking, just passing through) and when I was stopped in traffic, I overheard a street evangelist with a bullhorn. He was arguing from the anthropic principle (and actually in a winsome tone). I found this interesting, though I also don't think it would be more than seed planting, as drunk people are probably not the best audience for complex issues.

ETA: I have a somewhat related thread I'd like to start but it'll probably be for the Christian only areas, sorry.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      All I see here is anecdotal slander.
      You expected something different?

Comment

Yeah, I might need to start having a list of people pre-emptively banned from my threads. I hate the idea of that, but having like 2 good, solid on point posts in the first 10 is sadness

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
          So,

Evangelists are pretty bad at their jobs.

By "Evangelists", for the purpose of this thread, I mean the people who are actually going out and doing grunt work of going out in public to try to convert people, save souls, whatever you want to call it. I try to keep definitions open when precision isn't super important.

Basically, every single person I've come across who had the motivation to actually get outside of their comfort zone and do the street team thing has been woefully unprepared for anyone who isn't a lapsed Christian ready to be cajoled into going to church.

Why is this?

From what I recall from my church when I was looking into missionary work as a teen, and from talking with people who have shown up on my doorstep or met on the street (I used to live in San Diego and would run into people from out of state coming to do stuff at the creationism institute there while on the light rail) the whole point of these kinds of outreach efforts are supposed to be about saving souls.

OTOH, 3/4ths of the US is explicitly Christian. These people are, by the tenets of evangelical's, already saved. So if the goal is to save souls, they need to actually go after people who don't already believe, but their entire arsenal is, again as far as I've seen, woefully inadequate.

This isn't, incidentally, just a problem with Christianity. I ran into this a little with wandering Buddhist monks in rural China, but not with the ones in the temples (who mostly just wanted to chill, talk about ethics to the extent we could since I don't speak much Mandarin, and explain the relationship between a belief in reincarnation and vegetarianism). Or, oh my, the Hari Krishna's I ran into while in Australia were just laughably bad at their job, but aside from the differences in content, it was not particularly any better or worse to describe Vishnu (or whatever) having the entrails of his enemies around his neck than to reiterate basic, evangelical protestant dogma to a non-believer. The strange thing for me is the process for why all the various people I've talked to (predominantly eva. Protestents, JW's. Mormons, HK's, some Buddhists [the ones in Hong Kong at least had some street magic sleight of hand that suckered in one of my Navy buddies while we were on shore leave] and a few minority religious [I used to leave near Portland, Or... so, yeah]

So, I suppose, the gist of this thread is the title.

"Why do religious canvassers have such terrible arguments?"
          It's mainly young faith zeal Jaecp... I've noticed that over time, I've become a bit more mellow. Young (at-heart) members want to go out and spread the word, not realizing that they need to prepare themselves before doing so. I'm essentially repeating what Adrift said.
          "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
          -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          I support the :
          sigpic

Comment

To be fair, I've seen atheists that make horrible arguments that they should feel embarrassed to repeat. Some theologians I've debated have been worthy adversaries, and I respect their point of view. The trick is to to find people that haven't simply read a few popular works and think they know everything, and instead look for those that actually read deep literature on the subject.

I'll take John Lennox, Ken Miller, Francis Collins, and Tim Keller over Lee Strobel or Josh McDowell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sea of red View Post
              To be fair, I've seen atheists that make horrible arguments that they should feel embarrassed to repeat. Some theologians I've debated have been worthy adversaries, and I respect their point of view. The trick is to to find people that haven't simply read a few popular works and think they know everything, and instead look for those that actually read deep literature on the subject.

I'll take John Lennox, Ken Miller, Francis Collins, and Tim Keller over Lee Strobel or Josh McDowell.
              I understand Josh McDowell, but Lee Strobel?
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

No. Edmond Dantes' statement to Vampa is of the same nature as you needed. If you really think that "all" street evangelists are unprepared, then your sampling is quite poor. And you should get out more and increase your perspective.
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                  Same guy, different decade.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    In other words when you are young in your faith, you really don't know what you're talking about, but somehow you want to share your ignorance with others anyway.
                    This caused me to laugh so hard I scared Jake!

Jimmy -- you are the very POSTER CHILD for "sharing your ignorance anyway".

Here..... let's try another version....

In other words when you are a wild-eyed liberal, you really don't know what you're talking about, but somehow you want to share your ignorance with others anyway.

(Sorry

I just found this incredibly ironic.)
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                      Oh, eww, quite possibly one of the most embarrassing apologetics books I ever read was while I was active duty military and I'd stocked up on a bunch of books before the 2007 surge was one of his. C4F or C4J, whichever one came out second. It had the token atheist/agnostic interview at the front and then a bunch of softball interviews for the rest.

Myself and two other atheists just had a field day color coding the book with some highlighters that I'd gotten from Borders beforehand. I'd bought them for the bible, snagged a copy of the NSRV (section headings <3) before I left, along with a copy of the Koran, a handful of books from the prominent atheist writers in 07, some of the prominent "counter" books, and some books of apologetics.

I'd rather read the Koran again than something by Strobel.

Incidentally, I wish I had that particular copy of the bible still. One of the other two people that helped me go through with the highlighters gave it to his wife since he had recently deconverted from Catholicism and was trying to save his marriage.

Originally posted by Sea of Red
                      dumb atheist arguments
                      Sure, although I'd say that its pretty rare to actually see that kind of stuff in person. Threads about in person evangelism.

I've had engaging discussions with Christians before as well. The chaplains, in particular, except for the southern baptist one ("Admiral's derive their authority from God" -Lt. CMDR blowhard :-/) were always a good talk on the boat. I was a deckhand for awhile and there was about a 50% chance during any given 20-24 watch that I'd be able to spend 10-30 minutes chatting with the chaplain before he did the evening prayer and since this was 2006-8 during my deployments the nuAtheism was a pretty popular discussion topic
                      Last edited by Jaecp; 06-07-2015, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Oh, and regarding the whole "young believers have more passion than sense" response, yeah, Adrift/KG/etc I get that, but what I don't get is if this is such an obvious response and, well, people have been at this evangelism thing for awhile then why isn't there either

1. Some temperment by other members of the church, ie, its not good for soul saving to have unqualified people possibly bias others away

or,

2. A guide of some sort that isn't the exceptionally boring/bad microwave dinner of evangelism stuff like Liar/Lunatic/Lord or "have you ever sinner" stuff that people come out when they step off their gut and go mass market.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          Oh, and regarding the whole "young believers have more passion than sense" response, yeah, Adrift/KG/etc I get that, but what I don't get is if this is such an obvious response and, well, people have been at this evangelism thing for awhile then why isn't there either

1. Some temperment by other members of the church, ie, its not good for soul saving to have unqualified people possibly bias others away
                          That does happen. I went to a church where the pastor was vocally against it, and mocked it as bad form. He encouraged evangelism in other, less hokey (in my opinion) ways.

or,

2. A guide of some sort that isn't the exceptionally boring/bad microwave dinner of evangelism stuff like Liar/Lunatic/Lord or "have you ever sinner" stuff that people come out when they step off their gut and go mass market.
                          Those guides do exist. I've seen them. Some of them are even relatively popular. But we have something like, what, 60 million evangelicals in the U.S.? It'd be an impossible task to get them all on the same page. Honestly, you should be more surprised that the type of canvassers you're complaining about in your OP aren't more common.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                            That does happen. I went to a church where the pastor was vocally against it, and mocked it as bad form. He encouraged evangelism in other, less hokey (in my opinion) ways.

Those guides do exist. I've seen them. Some of them are even relatively popular. But we have something like, what, 60 million evangelicals in the U.S.? It'd be an impossible task to get them all on the same page. Honestly, you should be more surprised that the type of canvassers you're complaining about in your OP aren't more common.
                            Catholics have an authoritative structure- a Pope and a hierarchy- and even we can't get everybody on the same page. I can't imagine how hard it is to manage evangelicals in large numbers.
                            Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                              Catholics have an authoritative structure- a Pope and a hierarchy- and even we can't get everybody on the same page. I can't imagine how hard it is to manage evangelicals in large numbers.
                              Well la dee da, mr. fancy pants Catholic.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                Well la dee da, mr. fancy pants Catholic.

My 2000th post in the new TWeb was a very brief rant against Jack Chick-style proselytizing. I figured I'd make my 2001st a mildly pretentious one about the general superiority of Catholicism
                                Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment