Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Why is "belief" important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Is that all we'll be doing in Heaven for eternity? What's this about a mansion? If we all have mansions, we will at some point hang out in our mansions won't we? I would think so. What would be the point of having a mansion if we never go inside them?

Also, won't Heaven be an organic place? As in, we'll have bodies like we do now?
    I avoid overly speculating on what Heaven will be like. I think I'll spend the first million years or so just walking around saying "WOW".

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

I just googled it. It's the Angels.

God will reveal Himself to the Angels.

I don't study. Never been a studious type. I just google things and ask questions.
    Good for you.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

I don't study. Never been a studious type. I just google things and ask questions.
    Wow, such refreshing honesty is not to be found throughout all the blogosphere!

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave L View Post

You need more study.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Who are the Heavenly host?
    You need more study.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

When we talk about belief, do we really mean "belief" in the truest sense of the word? Or do we mean an affirmation and a commitment to that affirmation? Take the Trinity for instance...a child does not understand this enigma, but will eagerly embrace it and confess his "belief" before a congregation because that is what his parents and the community around him has encouraged him to do. But does he believe it? Does he understand and believe that the Father Son and Holy Spirit are Hypostatically One? You could just as easily got him to believe that God is composed of 4 parts. But again, he's not really believing, but rather affirming and reflecting the commitments of those around him. If he affirmed 4, and went with that, would it really matter when he got to Heaven and found out that God was 3? Would God care if he miscounted? Are there theological implications to such details? It would seem so if we're debating theology, but in life, in reality, outside of theological debate, are there implications?
    Great point. The Trinity has to be the most difficult component of fundamental Christianity for anyone to grasp (not just children). There aren't any good examples in our physical reality to compare it to, so we have to imagine it. Probably the best example I've heard is that of a hand: A hand has five fingers, all separate and working independently, but are still of the same hand. Of course, a hand is not a being in and of itself, so it falls apart. So, how many people really understand the Trinity without error?

The next question is: Why does it matter? To say "I accept this point on faith. I do not understand it but I affirm it" isn't being fair to our ability to reason. If the point was perfectly clear in scripture then there would never have been a debate in the first place. But there is enough gap for people to deny the Trinity, and is this important? One thing we should always remember is that the early church depended on the pulpit because illiteracy was widespread. Early Christians had to rely on the man giving the sermon, that he was getting it all correct and that he was properly conveying it. If not, "beliefs" were in error due to him.

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

To reveal Himself to the heavenly host. He created sin to contrast His attributes. No sin, no mercy. No sin no righteousness, no sin, no sovereignty, etc., etc.
    Who are the Heavenly host?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Seriously? We'll be walking the streets of Gold for the primary reason of being in the very presence of God and worshiping Him -- not being God ourselves.
    Is that all we'll be doing in Heaven for eternity? What's this about a mansion? If we all have mansions, we will at some point hang out in our mansions won't we? I would think so. What would be the point of having a mansion if we never go inside them?

Also, won't Heaven be an organic place? As in, we'll have bodies like we do now?

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Why did God create the Universe?
    To reveal Himself to the heavenly host. He created sin to contrast His attributes. No sin, no mercy. No sin no righteousness, no sin, no sovereignty, etc., etc.

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

But acceptance of Calvinism is predestined, right? So if God predestined me (and a large percentage of humanity) not to accept it, then what's the point arguing about it?
    I don't argue. I post on a take it or leave it basis.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

If you do not accept Calvinism, you'll never understand this.
    But acceptance of Calvinism is predestined, right? So if God predestined me (and a large percentage of humanity) not to accept it, then what's the point arguing about it?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

You do not understand why God created the universe. He must reveal it to you. It's too much for you to handle.
    Why did God create the Universe?

Leave a comment:

• Machinist
    replied

It's a degree of error. Since mankind isn't capable of conceiving anything as complex as God, we will all be in error.

As I mentioned earlier, when one unpacks the fundamentalist package there are a lot of lingering questions that have no reasonable answers. Like, why are Christians from the west commissioned to proselytize to the rest of the world? Why is the one true religion a regional religion and not a global one in the first place? Why is belief so important to God? I can tell my children about some of the ways the world operates and they have difficulty understanding them, yet I don't condemn them for not understanding - or not correctly believing. Then there are the passages where God presumably tells the Hebrews to battle and destroy their enemies when God could have done this for them - or just never created their enemies in the first place. The answers just don't come easily.
    When we talk about belief, do we really mean "belief" in the truest sense of the word? Or do we mean an affirmation and a commitment to that affirmation? Take the Trinity for instance...a child does not understand this enigma, but will eagerly embrace it and confess his "belief" before a congregation because that is what his parents and the community around him has encouraged him to do. But does he believe it? Does he understand and believe that the Father Son and Holy Spirit are Hypostatically One? You could just as easily got him to believe that God is composed of 4 parts. But again, he's not really believing, but rather affirming and reflecting the commitments of those around him. If he affirmed 4, and went with that, would it really matter when he got to Heaven and found out that God was 3? Would God care if he miscounted? Are there theological implications to such details? It would seem so if we're debating theology, but in life, in reality, outside of theological debate, are there implications?

Leave a comment:

• Dave L
    replied

Can you rephrase that?
    If you do not accept Calvinism, you'll never understand this.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied

You do not understand why God created the universe. He must reveal it to you. It's too much for you to handle.
    Can you rephrase that?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X