Announcement

Collapse

Eschatology 201 Guidelines

This area of the forum is primarily for Christian theists to discuss orthodox views of Eschatology. Other theist participation is welcome within that framework, but only within orthodoxy. Posts from nontheists that do not promote atheism or seek to undermine the faith of others will be permitted at the Moderator's discretion - such posters should contact the area moderators before posting.

Without turning this forum into a 'hill of foreskins' (Joshua 5:3), I believe we can still have fun with this 'sensitive' topic.

However, don't be misled, dispensationalism has only partly to do with circumcision issues. So, let's not forget about Innocence, Conscience, Promises, Kingdoms and so on.

End time -isms within orthodox Christianity also discussed here. Clearly unorthodox doctrines, such as those advocating "pantelism/full preterism/Neo-Hymenaeanism" or the denial of any essential of the historic Christian faith are not permitted in this section but can be discussed in Comparative Religions 101 without restriction. Any such threads, as well as any that within the moderator's discretions fall outside mainstream evangelical belief, will be moved to the appropriate area.

Millennialism- post-, pre- a-

Futurism, Historicism, Idealism, and Preterism, or just your garden variety Zionism.

From the tribulation to the anichrist. Whether your tastes run from Gary DeMar to Tim LaHaye or anywhere in between, your input is welcome here.

OK folks, let's roll!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

System of the Beast makes perfect sense today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Paprika View Post
    Oh?
    I included collapse of civilization in the futurist camp simply because this is the picture that end prophecy presents. But one doesn't need to be a futurist to see this as a plausible scenario if they understood global economics; that the four major economic empires -- US, EU, Japan, China -- are on the brink of breakdown. The only thing sustaining their economies is massive amounts of money printing along with massive amounts of debt on top of massive amounts of more debt. This is unsustainable and cannot last forever, especially in light of growing population ratios and ever decreasing natural resources.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    I take it you're also not very privy to economics, particularly global economics.
    Oh?

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I take it as basic that the first half of the Olivet discourse refers to events that would happen within the lifetime of that generation. With regards to the Revelation I have no firm opinion. This aspect of eschatology isn't something that I view as very important.
    I take it you're also not very privy to economics, particularly global economics.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    I take it you're a preterist.
    I take it as basic that the first half of the Olivet discourse refers to events that would happen within the lifetime of that generation. With regards to the Revelation I have no firm opinion. This aspect of eschatology isn't something that I view as very important.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    "this" is vague. That cashless systems will be more and more popular? Sure. That there will be one and only one global cashless system a la futurism? Very unlikely.
    I take it you're a preterist.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    "this" is vague. That cashless systems will be more and more popular? Sure. That there will be one and only one global cashless system a la futurism? Very unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Meh. It'll be hard to achieve integration of even all the existing cashless systems eg Visa payWave, Paypal, Google Wallet, Amazon's system etc.

Okay, if you consider an isolated nation, it could well be feasible in the long run. But bring in the international nature of many transactions and the inter-national legislation required will be a massive headache.

Leave a comment:

• Paprika
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I find it to be tremendously troubling.
    Meh. It'll be hard to achieve integration of even all the existing cashless systems eg Visa payWave, Paypal, Google Wallet, Amazon's system etc.

Okay, if you consider an isolated nation, it could well be feasible in the long run. But bring in the international nature of many transactions and the inter-national legislation required will be a massive headache.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    How ironic is this...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...8#.U4fmnn-u1IA

Even if you don't believe this is setting the stage of end times, you got to admit that digital cash will eventually overshadow physical currency for reasons given in the article and in the OP. When it happens, it will be the single greatest oppressive system and suppression of freedom ever instituted on civilization.
    I find it to be tremendously troubling.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    How ironic is this...

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Ne...8#.U4fmnn-u1IA

Even if you don't believe this is setting the stage of end times, you got to admit that digital cash will eventually overshadow physical currency for reasons given in the article and in the OP. When it happens, it will be the single greatest oppressive system and suppression of freedom ever instituted on civilization.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I honestly don't see how a preterist can make a good argument against futurism and it's interpretation of Rev 13 in light of the direction our modern society is heading.

The Beast is not only compatible with our technology but makes perfect sense in the 21st century. If society becomes completely cashless, not only will it be extremely practical (easily integrating in with our technological awareness which already revolves around digital transactions), but it will virtually cease crime, especially if a digital currency is coupled with a biometric identification.

The problem is, other than the obvious theological one, is that the powers that be will have almost complete control over the populace. For example, say that you do everything with a credit card and have no cash on hand. If you piss off someone who has the power to shut off your credit card, then you're screwed. You might be able to seek legal action if you could find some way to pay, but in the meantime, you have no way to pay for your essentials -- i.e. food, fuel, mortgage/rent, etc.
    More examples of things from scripture that make more sense today than in the ancient past:

"Earthquakes in divers places"

Earthquakes were always happening, even before Jesus came to earth. Thus, this fits better in an age where seismological technology is in existence coupled with the technological ability to broadcast each and every earthquake instantly worldwide.

"There will be signs in sun and moon and stars"

Fits better in a world with astronomical technology able to observe "signs" in the sun, moon and stars much more closely.

"Men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world and on the earth dismay among nations, in perplexity at the roaring of the sea and the waves, men fainting from fear and the expectation of the things which are coming upon the world"

This fits better in an age where technology can instantly broadcast simultaneous events happening in the world in an instant.

"But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self"

There was always lovers of self, before and during Paul's day. Thus, this fits better in a time where lovers of self will be manifested in an exceptional way, such as the internet and social media.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    b) what's to stop them from forcibly implanting the chip, particularly if they declare you a criminal or officially insane? However, I still personally wouldn't get a chip for religious reasons and based on political principle.
    Couldn't almost anything physical be forcibly implanted? I imagine the implication is that people do choose to adopt the mark rather than having the government physically force it on them.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Here are two more reasons why I don't think an RFID chip is the mark of the Beast: a) they've already been implanting chips in people and it has nothing to do with buying or selling; b) what's to stop them from forcibly implanting the chip, particularly if they declare you a criminal or officially insane? However, I still personally wouldn't get a chip for religious reasons and based on political principle.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    I didn't phrase that right. What I was trying to say is that if it's absurd to think that the mystical numerical code means something in the future, then it's equally absurd to think an ancient Jew used a mystical numerical code to refer to Nero, who didn't do any of the acts described in Rev other than Christian persecution.
    Last edited by seanD; 02-15-2014, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    "Humorously absurd" is hopelessly subjective. I feel the same way about some of the ways modern events/technologies are envisioned in religious manners. What matters is what best accounts for the evidence.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X