X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
    He said there are no "Lone Ranger" Christians...

I know - Duck Duck Go is a good thing.

But we're still a speakin' English, ain't we?

Leave a comment:

• Littlejoe
    replied
    He said there are no "Lone Ranger" Christians...

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    unus christianus nullus christianus

Speak English, EO Boy.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    I was just thinking that very same thing!

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rushing Jaws
    replied
    By going, is how.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Well after way too long, my wife and I went to church today. Grace Church bought the building from a dying denominational church about 1 mile from our house and today was the first service in the new location.

The best news is my wife likes it and wants to go back next week. The congregation size is a good fit for our crowd comfort and a great mix of ages.

For me, some good points are the worship songs were God focused with no 7X11's, the sermon was based on the Bible, competently preached, and included far more "we", "us", "our" instead of "I", "you". They even did a corporate confession of sin.

Not sure this is it but its real possibility.

Thanks for all who were praying for us in this matter.
    I hope this works out for you guys!

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Well after way too long, my wife and I went to church today. Grace Church bought the building from a dying denominational church about 1 mile from our house and today was the first service in the new location.

The best news is my wife likes it and wants to go back next week. The congregation size is a good fit for our crowd comfort and a great mix of ages.

For me, some good points are the worship songs were God focused with no 7X11's, the sermon was based on the Bible, competently preached, and included far more "we", "us", "our" instead of "I", "you". They even did a corporate confession of sin.

Not sure this is it but its real possibility.

Thanks for all who were praying for us in this matter.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Thanks for clarifying.

What I responded exactly too was this one sentence by footwasher: "I want my church to make me perfect (mature), able to teach, be a blessing to others". The first part is about what the church can provide to me. I suggest the second two items are about what I can provide to the church.
    The way the sentence is constructed, the second two items are not about that; they are dependent on "I want my church to make me...."
    Is the problem that we no longer understand what community means? I definitively include myself in this critique. Is it really church community we attend or a bunch of I's who happen to worship together at the same moment? I submit that community is a lost skill. We no longer know how to be mutually beneficial because we don't know how to be community. Its not taught anymore. Sermons are aimed at each individual to help each one grow as individuals. At best, we have fellowship and then go on our individualistic way.
    And "smart"phones and earbuds are only making things worse in this regard.

One of the things I like about Orthodoxy is the sense of community with other Orthodox Christians and the saints (though I acknowledge that some Orthodox Christians tend to identify more with their ethnicity than Orthodoxy in general).

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Perhaps I should have replied to footwasher instead, but the phrase you agreed with "exactly" was all about what the church can do for you. I am not saying that this is your general position in the thread. Does that help?
    Thanks for clarifying.

What I responded exactly too was this one sentence by footwasher: "I want my church to make me perfect (mature), able to teach, be a blessing to others". The first part is about what the church can provide to me. I suggest the second two items are about what I can provide to the church.

Is the problem that we no longer understand what community means? I definitively include myself in this critique. Is it really church community we attend or a bunch of I's who happen to worship together at the same moment? I submit that community is a lost skill. We no longer know how to be mutually beneficial because we don't know how to be community. Its not taught anymore. Sermons are aimed at each individual to help each one grow as individuals. At best, we have fellowship and then go on our individualistic way.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied

Either I am not being clear or you are not reading my posts. Kindly restate what I have said in this thread so I may determine if I am not clearly communicating or you are not carefully reading my posts or both is occurring. Thank you.
    Perhaps I should have replied to footwasher instead, but the phrase you agreed with "exactly" was all about what the church can do for you. I am not saying that this is your general position in the thread. Does that help?

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Church should not be about what you expect to get out of it. That's quite possibly the worst criterion for finding a church, because it focuses on you. Christianity is about focusing on God and others, not on yourself.

Either I am not being clear or you are not reading my posts. Kindly restate what I have said in this thread so I may determine if I am not clearly communicating or you are not carefully reading my posts or both is occurring. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• footwasher
    replied
    Exactly and with a lot fewer words than I used!
    http://www.dfgc.ca/grow/image-bearing-pt-1
    Last edited by footwasher; 04-13-2015, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    Exactly and with a lot fewer words than I used!
    Church should not be about what you expect to get out of it. That's quite possibly the worst criterion for finding a church, because it focuses on you. Christianity is about focusing on God and others, not on yourself.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X