X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Here is an excellent article on Driscoll's abuse of church power: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/w...t?oid=20257920

Lord have mercy on us for the evil that is done in Your Name.

(We need a repent in sackcloth and ashes smiley.)
    Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Here is an excellent article on Driscoll's abuse of church power: http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/w...t?oid=20257920

Leave a comment:

• Manw� S�limo
    replied
    Originally posted by TimelessTheist View Post
    "I'm going to cut off your head, and eat it, then boil your body in your own blood!!!"
    What do you have against Scottish cuisine?

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    I would like to say that the modern phase of the pastor-centric church model is coming to an end. Unfortunately men (and women) like to be the center of attention and its usually sadder and more tragic when its church leadership.
    Amen, amen. I suspect the biblical model of leadership of elders was used by the apostles for just that reason.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I think the issue is that with any church where there's so much of a cult of personality/ attention on one person, attention is directed away from God, where it should be.
    I would like to say that the modern phase of the pastor-centric church model is coming to an end. Unfortunately men (and women) like to be the center of attention and its usually sadder and more tragic when its church leadership.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Been catching up on the news out of Mars Hill. I think we're watching the slow motion collapse of the ministry there.

Feel bad for the people who just went there seeking a better relationship with God.
    I think the issue is that with any church where there's so much of a cult of personality/ attention on one person, attention is directed away from God, where it should be.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughtful Monk
    replied
    Been catching up on the news out of Mars Hill. I think we're watching the slow motion collapse of the ministry there.

Feel bad for the people who just went there seeking a better relationship with God.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    In context, I think Ephesians 4:29 is probably referring to words spoken in unjustified anger, rather than cussing.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

Leave a comment:

• Obsidian
    replied
    In context, I think Ephesians 4:29 is probably referring to words spoken in unjustified anger, rather than cussing.

Leave a comment:

• TimelessTheist
    replied
    Originally posted by Darth Executor View Post
    That's the cussing...
    Yeah, I always saw that verse in reference to relaying inhumanely disgusting actions, or threats, like: "I'm going to cut off your head, and eat it, then boil your body in your own blood!!!" or something like that. I don't think it applies to crass humor, or cussing, or the such.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    Where is this apology that you're referring to?
    Not sure right now DB, it may have been in one of his books I read. I do remember it wasn't a specific apology, but a general one about his previous actions.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    There aren't a lot of conservative upsides to full-time immigrant pastors, but that's definitely one of them.
    ummm isiZulu was his main language because this was back when I used to live in South Africa.
    And the priest we had after Fr Jabulani had to retire (sadly a small problem with alcohol) was also a Zulu but was fluent in over 10 languages. He learnt French while living in the Vatican, but the only language he and his teacher had in common at the time was Latin.

Leave a comment:

• DesertBerean
    replied
    Where is this apology that you're referring to?

Leave a comment:

• Epoetker
    replied
    Originally posted by Raphael View Post
    IIRC he has apologised for a lot of his earlier behaviour. After John Piper kinda took him under his wing for a bit he toned a fair bit of his rhetoric down.

I don't advocate everything Driscoll has said or done, nor do I agree with him on a few items, but I've personally benefited from a number of his sermon series (even where I've disagreed with him)
    He was truer to his calling and more descriptive of the details of living in the nation of effeminates then than he is now, that much is certain. Now that the rot has spread farther and is mostly undeniable, you can find more scholarly descriptions of it among people like Dalrock. The posts are an endearing reminder of the time and the attitude that if you just posted the truth as you saw it hard enough, you could turn things around. Alas, it is never that simple, the people actually responsible for and profiting off of the evil and emasculating system have to be fired, executed, replaced, and very occasionally deeply convicted of the wrongness of their previous actions (usually by the prior firings, executions, replacements, etc.) for a new order to arise, not simply denounced randomly and anonymously. But let us not judge the man who felt himself alone in his visions too harshly.

I certainly don't agree with the language he used, and the sentiments could have been communicated without the crudity. But by the same token when I was a RCC we had priest who would swear in his sermons on a number of occasions (to be fair to Fr Jabulani, English wasn't his first language, isiZulu was).
    There aren't a lot of conservative upsides to full-time immigrant pastors, but that's definitely one of them.

In short, you could have listened to Mark back then, and made this whole 'restoration' process easier. Now you have me.

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    IIRC he has apologised for a lot of his earlier behaviour. After John Piper kinda took him under his wing for a bit he toned a fair bit of his rhetoric down.

I don't advocate everything Driscoll has said or done, nor do I agree with him on a few items, but I've personally benefited from a number of his sermon series (even where I've disagreed with him)

I certainly don't agree with the language he used, and the sentiments could have been communicated without the crudity. But by the same token when I was a RCC we had priest who would swear in his sermons on a number of occasions (to be fair to Fr Jabulani, English wasn't his first language, isiZulu was).

Leave a comment: