Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

See more
See less

‘Theology Matters’—Why One Worship Leader Can No Longer Support Hillsong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Exactly!

I was just giving cbw an example of the dross that’s out there. You don’t have to look if you don’t want to. I feel the same way about spiders.

Well - I'm not an arachnophobe, except when it comes to white tailed spiders, redbacks, and [(thankfully they don't live in SA) funnel webs] so ... my sentiments exactly.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Well, there's emotion, and then there's ecstatic frenzy. The latter is what I was referring to.
      That's not how you worded it. Worded as it was, it is very easy to take it the wrong way.

Comment

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding what you are saying here. I think you are saying that style, in this context, doesn't matter?
        I'm saying that style matters enough that we can't really "merge" congregations - they'd be bored to tears with our way of worship, and our blue haired old ladies would have convulsions with their style of worship.

In that sense, it matters a whole lot. As to whether they love the Lord as much as we do, the style in which they worship doesn't matter at all.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why are people singing bad pop songs in church? The song didn't have anything to do with worship! And the boyfriend Jesus songs are creepy. The Church is the Bride of Christ, but not like that....
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

That's not how you worded it. Worded as it was, it is very easy to take it the wrong way.
            Sorry. I should have worded it better.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm saying that style matters enough that we can't really "merge" congregations - they'd be bored to tears with our way of worship, and our blue haired old ladies would have convulsions with their style of worship.

In that sense, it matters a whole lot. As to whether they love the Lord as much as we do, the style in which they worship doesn't matter at all.
              Got it. Thanks for clarifying!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Why are people singing bad pop songs in church? The song didn't have anything to do with worship! And the boyfriend Jesus songs are creepy. The Church is the Bride of Christ, but not like that....
                Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

It's a shame that article didn't give -- or, AFAICT, even link to -- any specific examples of problematic lyrics.

Also, if you follow the "supernatural ministry" link, it's clear that this statement -- "California-based Bethel Church has been controversial partly because of its focus on supernatural ministry" -- is so misleading as to at least border on dishonesty.
                  If you want to check out the lyrics, go to YouTube and search for Hillsong or Elevation. You'll get plenty of options to listen to.
                  "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I had a talk with a pastor along this lines. We were in a building that housed 5 different churches. (Which I think is a good way to use your space if you have a lot space and little congregation and this was a big church we were in.) The church in the main sanctuary had taken out the traditional altar and replaced it with a black background and a speakers podium. The pastor said he didn't like that. I commented that if I'm hearing the word of God being proclaimed, I really don't care about the format.

I think sometimes Christians get too hung up on form and not on substance - which is actually getting us back to the OP.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

I had a talk with a pastor along this lines. We were in a building that housed 5 different churches. (Which I think is a good way to use your space if you have a lot space and little congregation and this was a big church we were in.) The church in the main sanctuary had taken out the traditional altar and replaced it with a black background and a speakers podium. The pastor said he didn't like that. I commented that if I'm hearing the word of God being proclaimed, I really don't care about the format.

I think sometimes Christians get too hung up on form and not on substance - which is actually getting us back to the OP.
                      Part of the concern, however, is that some churches, in an apparent attempt to be relevant, start focusing on appealing to the masses rather than focus on "It's all about Jesus".

I have seen numerous cases where churches change their format or platform or building or style - in hopes of gaining more people - and all they do is push away the faithful attenders who simply want Jesus preached.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Part of the concern, however, is that some churches, in an apparent attempt to be relevant, start focusing on appealing to the masses rather than focus on "It's all about Jesus".

I have seen numerous cases where churches change their format or platform or building or style - in hopes of gaining more people - and all they do is push away the faithful attenders who simply want Jesus preached.
                        Agreed. To paraphrase (or extrapolate from) a couple of comments in scripture: Relevance to the world is irrelevance to heaven.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This is a pretty good article. I haven’t looked deeply into this guy’s theology but the article is on point.

https://pastorunlikely.com/worship-m...tered-worship/

[*]When in doubt, sing Scripture – There are some great songs that have been written throughout church history that are taken directly from the Bible. If you are doubting the music that you have been singing, test them against the Bible and see if they hold up. If they are directly out of the Bible you can’t go wrong.

One nitpick: I always enjoyed singing "Blow the Trumpet in Zion," whose lyrics are taken pretty directly from Joel 2 -- until I read them in context. It's not a celebratory context, it's a context of the LORD's coming judgment.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

This site lists a few.

http://pomomusings.com/2010/01/06/bad-praise-music/

Also

Crazy Beautiful by Chasen

Everybody’s been there everyone’s the same
                            but mostly we don’t care isn’t that a shame
                            We bring us down face after face
                            the inside is beautiful but the outside we want to change.
                            We want to change.
                            Whoa you’re oh so beautiful, you don’t need anyone’s approval
                            You’ve got to believe in your self you know you are
                            You’re crazy beautiful
                            Well every new year you say your gonna change
                            From the way you live to how much you weigh,
                            we don’t want to change.
                            Whoa you’re oh so beautiful, you don’t need anyone’s approval
                            You’re crazy beautiful
                            Take a look it’s all around you
                            See the world from different views
                            The way you shine from the inside
                            I know with out a doubt
                            It’s more than what you’ll be
                            In the world’s eyes.
                            Whoa you’re oh so beautiful, you don’t need anyone’s a approval

There are lots out there if you do a search.
                            Ew.

I mean, it's fine to want to uplift people who feel downtrodden, and to encourage them to not be overly focused on what others think of them, but... ew.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

I love the various "Petra Praise" albums, but most of them are not well suited to corporate praise and worship.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

One nitpick: I always enjoyed singing "Blow the Trumpet in Zion," whose lyrics are taken pretty directly from Joel 2 -- until I read them in context. It's not a celebratory context, it's a context of the LORD's coming judgment.
                                Nothing wrong with that. The LORD will come in judgment and I think that speaks to His character, so why not? Quite a few hymns speak to that.

Day of Judgment, Day of Wonders (John Newton)
                                (Probably one of the best comprehensive hymns on the day of judgment.)
                                At His call the dead awaken,
                                Rise to life from earth and sea;
                                All the powers of nature shaken
                                By His look, prepares to flee.
                                Careless sinner, what will then become of thee?

Jesus is Lord (Keith Getty & Stuart Townend)
                                “Jesus is Lord!”-a shout of joy, a cry of anguish,
                                As He returns, and ev’ry knee bows low.
                                Then ev’ry eye and ev’ry heart will see His glory,
                                The Judge of all will take His children home.

How Sweet and Aweful (Isaac Watts)
                                Twas the same love that spread the feast
                                That sweetly drew us in;
                                Else we had still refused to taste,
                                And perished in our sin.

Etc.

Comment