Announcement

Collapse

Rec Room Guidelines

In the Rec Room we share jokes, interesting stories, and speculate about trout's manties. Serve up some Spam in many different flavors and sizes, and just take some time off from study and have fun.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Should my co-worker watch "Event Horizon?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Bad Pig
    replied
    PBS.jpg

Leave a comment:

• JardinPrayer
    replied
    Oh. My. Goodness! Ivo, I have missed you! I just laughed so hard, I thought I wouldn't be able to stop!

Leave a comment:

• I am Ivo, hear me roar
    replied
    Originally posted by JardinPrayer View Post

If your co-worker is already feeling evil vibes, I say leave it alone.
    I understand what you're saying, Jardin, but this is about personal respect.

I have tried to get my co-worker to do a number of things over the years, and she has steadfastly refused. She will not:

*Watch Event Horizon

*Prepare a batch of vegetable stock for me based upon a recipe I've improvised

*Go back to school and get her degree (Even though I've pointed out that she has no objective value as a human being unless she has a degree)

*Become a missionary to North Korea

*Join the Church of Scientology for the purpose of reforming the organization from within

A man can only take so much obstinacy and disrespect! I have to draw the line!

Leave a comment:

• Raphael
    replied
    Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    For real? That's...unexpected.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random...Trek:_Voyager)

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Im guessing you aren't a big horror fan to begin with, Jed!

Funny, as a Sci-fi film, this could have been one of the greats. But it just took an enormous left turn in the third act that completely derailed it, IMHO.

That said, Sam Neill can do things with his face that make any film worth sitting through!
    I confess. I was not going to watch it anyway, just as I have not watched it for the last 18 years.

Leave a comment:

• JardinPrayer
    replied
    to false ditties!

Leave a comment:

• I am Ivo, hear me roar
    replied
    Originally posted by Christy View Post
    Did you get that from the song Satan was singing in the South Park movie?
    That would be the ditty

Leave a comment:

• Christy
    replied
    Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
    "without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes."

What say ye?
    Did you get that from the song Satan was singing in the South Park movie?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by I am Ivo, hear me roar View Post
    For the past three years, I've attempted to convince a co-worker to watch the 1997 movie Event Horizon. This co-worker has thus far refused to watch the film on the grounds that it's a work of evil. However, I say (in the words of a certain ditty) "without evil there could be no good so it must be good to be evil sometimes."

What say ye?
    Your ditty is false. Evil needs good. What is good does not have any need of evil. I have seen that evil movie. It wasn't worth watching the first time.

Leave a comment:

• JardinPrayer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Well after reading this thread I am convinced. I won't bother seeing it.
    Im guessing you aren't a big horror fan to begin with, Jed!

Funny, as a Sci-fi film, this could have been one of the greats. But it just took an enormous left turn in the third act that completely derailed it, IMHO.

That said, Sam Neill can do things with his face that make any film worth sitting through!

Leave a comment:

• Jedidiah
    replied
    Well after reading this thread I am convinced. I won't bother seeing it.

Leave a comment:

• JardinPrayer
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Wow. That's amazing. I remember that film. Had lots of potential, and a great concept, but the execution was a bit weak. Wonder what that would have looked like in Carpenter's hands.

Do you write at all anymore?
    Not fiction. Not for the last 18 years or so. But, I'm feeling like that may change soon.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Here's one: He told me he wanted to write a novel, but was not as familiar with the form as he was with screenwriting. Because I was writing then (no, you never heard of me), he suggested we team up. We traded some drafts of outlines and had a couple of brainstorming sessions. I have no idea if he ever really intended to take this all the way through to a joint authored finished product. But, years later, a film came out called, "White Noise." It's totally our concept. Neither of us had anything to do with it...unless he sold or gave away the concept to someone else.
    Wow. That's amazing. I remember that film. Had lots of potential, and a great concept, but the execution was a bit weak. Wonder what that would have looked like in Carpenter's hands.

Do you write at all anymore?

Leave a comment:

• JardinPrayer
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrift View Post
    Ah, dang. Oh well. I guess I can understand. At least you got some stories to tell.
    Here's one: He told me he wanted to write a novel, but was not as familiar with the form as he was with screenwriting. Because I was writing then (no, you never heard of me), he suggested we team up. We traded some drafts of outlines and had a couple of brainstorming sessions. I have no idea if he ever really intended to take this all the way through to a joint authored finished product. But, years later, a film came out called, "White Noise." It's totally our concept. Neither of us had anything to do with it...unless he sold or gave away the concept to someone else.

Leave a comment:

• Adrift
    replied
    Not playing with your emotions. It was a weird and wonderful time in my life...long past. That scene stays with me, too. When I first heard he was making the film, I thought it must be based on At The Mountains of Madness, so I got a copy to read. Um...nope.

I had a bunch of Carpenter memorabilia. Then, I moved on to a new season of life. Sold it all to an uberfan.
    Ah, dang. Oh well. I guess I can understand. At least you got some stories to tell.

Leave a comment: