Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Choose-Your-Pronoun Scouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't followed the Scouts at all since I aged out of it, but I thought this was already the case? An old college acquaintance of mine has occasionally posted on Facebook for awhile about her daughter's participation in Cub Scouts.

I got Eagle but I really disliked the whole experience. Maybe the biggest thing I wish I could have done over with my childhood is not join and see what else I could have done with all that time.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As a side note - this isn't entirely new. An offshoot of the Boy Scouts called Venture Scouts that includes boys and girls has existed for decades, and nobody ever thought it was a big deal.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

The girl scouts will either change their name to something similar to the former boy scouts, or maybe they will even combine to form one organization. If they don't they will probably face increasing public (liberal public) pressure and be labeled as "extremists"

They already allow transgender. I am not sure if they allow only biological females who claim to be boys, or bioboys who claim to be girls, or both. Their Trans faq is a little vague:

GSEMA welcomes non-binary youth and transgender boys in addition to all girls.
        https://www.gsema.org/content/dam/gi...r-resource.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          As a side note - this isn't entirely new. An offshoot of the Boy Scouts called Venture Scouts that includes boys and girls has existed for decades, and nobody ever thought it was a big deal.
          I think it is important for boys and men to have clubs of their own.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

A brand name change after revelations of a horrendous history of child sexual abuse can't exactly be blamed on "woke", can it?

Nor can a callback to another time of "purer" Scout experience avoid dealing with the fact that such a time historically incorporated rampant child sexual abuse.

-Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

As recently as 20-25 years ago, not only was being gay a strict no-no, but you could get kicked out for being an atheist.

Anecdotally, I know my first troop did care about that sort of thing, but when I switched troops midway through, there were a few atheist kids in there and they weren't getting kicked out. I never liked the rule. I thought it was an environment generally respectful of faith, and having non-religious kids around could only be good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
                A brand name change after revelations of a horrendous history of child sexual abuse can't exactly be blamed on "woke", can it?

Nor can a callback to another time of "purer" Scout experience avoid dealing with the fact that such a time historically incorporated rampant child sexual abuse.
                The de-genderization of the title can be blamed on woke.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

The de-genderization of the title can be blamed on woke.
                  I think it would be hard to retain the gendered brand name without retaining the association with pederasty. "The Male Minor Scouts", if anything, seems to call more attention to the organization's past misdeeds.

-Sam
                  "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

How common is this association? And is it still permanently lasting? I know that there were jokes about the Catholic church for 10-15 years but at this point in time, it seems one can mention the RCC without guaranteeing such a reference in response.

I really don't know because I've been out of the game for so long.

Comment

How common is this association? And is it still permanently lasting? I know that there were jokes about the Catholic church for 10-15 years but at this point in time, it seems one can mention the RCC without guaranteeing such a reference in response.

I really don't know because I've been out of the game for so long.
                      Completely anecdotal but I'd say the association has held fairly strong — though not ubiquitously — in random discussions I've had with the younger (Millennial/Z) cohort and relatively weakly with older cohorts (X/Boomer). Having the association at all is highly problematic for an organization that says "Trust us with your kid for extended periods of time" and, unlike the Roman Catholic Church, a brand name change is a viable option.

Whatever internal polling happened before this change, I'm guessing it must have been pretty clearly skewed.

-Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

You have no idea about a lot of things.
                        You did refer to:

desecrating the name of the Boy Scouts of America

That suggests a form of blasphemy.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

You did refer to:

desecrating the name of the Boy Scouts of America

That suggests a form of blasphemy.
                          No it doesn't.
                          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

No it doesn't.
                            If the name of the Boy Scouts of America is being "desecrated" that suggest that phrase is deemed sacred and hence its desecration is a form of blasphemy,
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

If the name of the Boy Scouts of America is being "desecrated" that suggest that phrase is deemed sacred and hence its desecration is a form of blasphemy,
                              No it doesn't.

desecrate, verb: to treat disrespectfully, irreverently, or outrageously
                              "… the kind of shore development … that has desecrated so many waterfronts …"
                              —John Fischer

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/desecrate

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

As recently as 20-25 years ago, not only was being gay a strict no-no, but you could get kicked out for being an atheist.

Anecdotally, I know my first troop did care about that sort of thing, but when I switched troops midway through, there were a few atheist kids in there and they weren't getting kicked out. I never liked the rule. I thought it was an environment generally respectful of faith, and having non-religious kids around could only be good for them.
                                My first college pastor grew up in NYC. His scoutmaster was a warlock with a preserved 18th century head he called "Otto." Otto would punish scouts who were being bad (one boy nearly sliced his thumb off).
                                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment