Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

‘It will change everything’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘It will change everything’

‘It will change everything’: DeepMind’s AI makes gigantic leap in solving protein structures
    Google’s deep-learning program for determining the 3D shapes of proteins stands to transform biology, say scientists.
    “It’s a game changer,” says Andrei Lupas, an evolutionary biologist at the Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology in Tübingen, Germany, who assessed the performance of different teams in CASP. AlphaFold has already helped him find the structure of a protein that has vexed his lab for a decade, and he expects it will alter how he works and the questions he tackles. “This will change medicine. It will change research. It will change bioengineering. It will change everything,” Lupas adds.

In some cases, AlphaFold’s structure predictions were indistinguishable from those determined using ‘gold standard’ experimental methods such as X-ray crystallography and, in recent years, cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM). AlphaFold might not obviate the need for these laborious and expensive methods — yet — say scientists, but the AI will make it possible to study living things in new ways.

I'm thinking all y'all who've had folding@home using up your spare flops in the background will get a real kick out of this.

I'm waiting to hear the reaction of ID-Creationist Douglas Axe who has claimed many times protein folding is way too complex to understand or evolve naturally so therefore GODDIDIT!

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
      I'm waiting to hear the reaction of ID-Creationist Douglas Axe who has claimed many times protein folding is way too complex to understand or evolve naturally so therefore GODDIDIT!
      This should be my sig. Well put.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
        I'm thinking all y'all who've had folding@home using up your spare flops in the background will get a real kick out of this.
        I'm confused. What is this supposed to mean? Are you saying that it means the time on Folding@Home was wasted, or is it an indication that this achievement of AlphaFold was because of the foundation that Folding@Home helped lay, or is it indicating that Folding@Home will be able to use the data from AlphaFold to get better results?

Comment