Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

History Of Wicca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that 'paganism' is old, and understand that Hermeticism makes claims to antiquity. I'm more interested in whether or not you think that the modern revisionism of Wicca is a worthwhile pursuit, or if even the make-stuff-up-as-you-go approach of Chaos Magick is worthwhile.

That is, how free wheeling can it one be in one's pursuit of one's religion?
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
      It's not so much a belief system, because the system is based on actual science, for the most part Some parts can be debated but some principles can't since even modern science is discovering these ancient truths. Esoteric science to be exact. One hermetic law (out of the 7 Hermetic laws) is the law of vibration. Modern science talks about string theory for example and how everything in the universe is vibrations of strings(string theory) . See going off topic again lol
      No, that's actually interesting. What does the hermetic law of vibration teach and how is it scientific?

Comment

I'm not so familiar with the neo-paganism movement to form a valid opinion. I wonder myself how much new age bologna they have, if any. I've read a lot on chaos magick but never did any rituals or practices for that matter. Just did the reading for my interest. I stick with the basics. Good old yoga, subconscious programming and dream yoga.

Comment

This Fourth Dimension may be called “The Dimension of Vibration” It is a fact well known to modern science, as well as to the Hermetists who have embodied the truth in their “Third Hermetic Principle,” that “everything is in motion; everything vibrates; nothing is at rest.” From the highest manifestation, to the lowest, everything and all things Vibrate. Not only do they vibrate at different rates of motion, but as in different directions and in a different manner. The degrees of the rate of vibrations constitute the degrees of measurement on the Scale of Vibrations–in other words the degrees of the Fourth Dimension. And these degrees form what occultists call “Planes” The higher the degree of rate of vibration, the higher the plane, and the higher the manifestation of Life occupying that plane. So that while a plane is not “a place,” nor yet “a state or condition,” yet it possesses qualities common to both.

Atoms are in a constant state of motion.

The particles that create your body are constantly coming in and out of existence between energies at work at a quantum level.

Cycles are inherit in nature. We see change taking place all the time.

Every thought, emotion desire is energy as well.
          https://beyondenigma.com/real-law-at...rediscovering/

Comment

Comment

It seems like a lot of the stuff I've read about in Chaos Magick is taken from Hermeticism then. Is this description of the universe written about in the founding documents of Hermeticism? Or is this kind of a later development?
              "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
              Hear my cry, hear my shout,
              Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                It seems like a lot of the stuff I've read about in Chaos Magick is taken from Hermeticism then. Is this description of the universe written about in the founding documents of Hermeticism? Or is this kind of a later development?
                What is Chaos Magick? Sounds like D&D.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I think it's a "Magic: The Gathering" deck

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've read some articles on Chaos Magick, I have a bunch of stuff bookmarked. Chaos magick is believed to be derived from ancient hermeticism. They work with a lot summoning. Not my taste so much.

The Corpus Hermeticum mentions this 2nd law "As Above So Below". It was written long ago so the words are more metaphorical in it's sense. As far as gnostics or Hermetics, they view all theology as allegories, for the most part. Here's some references in the Corpus Hermeticum original version. There is a translated version by Issac Newton in the 1600's I believe, but I'll be referencing the O.G. version

Whither, again, am I to turn my eyes to sing Thy praise; above, below, within, without? There is no way, no place [is there] about Thee, nor any other thing of things that are.
                      And God in Mind; and Mind, in Soul; and Soul, in Matter; and all of them through Aeon.

But all this Body, in which are all the bodies, is full of Soul; and Soul is full of Mind, and Mind of God.

It fills it from within, and from without encircles it, making the All to live.

Without, this vast and perfect Life [encircles] Cosmos; within, it fills [it with] all lives; above, in Heaven,
                      continuing in sameness; below, on Earth, changing becoming.
                      And all are full of soul, and all are moved by it, each in its proper way; some round the Heaven, others
                      around the Earth; [see] how the right [move] not unto the left, nor yet the left unto the right; nor the above
                      below, nor the below above.
                      Last edited by JohnHermes; 02-21-2019, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
                        I've read some articles on Chaos Magick, I have a bunch of stuff bookmarked. Chaos magick is believed to be derived from ancient hermeticism. They work with a lot summoning. Not my taste so much.

The Corpus Hermeticum mentions this 2nd law "As Above So Below". It was written long ago so the words are more metaphorical in it's sense. As far as gnostics or Hermetics, they view all theology as allegories, for the most part. Here's some references in the Corpus Hermeticum original version. There is a translated version by Issac Newton in the 1600's I believe, but I'll be referencing the O.G. version

Fractals.

Comment

@sparko, fractals I was just reading are to be and "imperfect" way of reality. Reality covering another reality. Something like from the movie the 13th floor. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Here's the summary:

A word on fractals:

although fractal-like patterns appear in nature (in ferns, for instance: the disposition of the leaves on a stem is repeated in the form of the stemmed branches), the self-similar forms produced by high iteration are not natural, strictly speaking.

Fractals such as those pictured here result from feeding a mathematical formula into a computer and having the formula reprocess itself, over and over again.

However, the forms so produced do resemble the famous "paisley" seen by many people who took LSD in the 1960s. I would argue, first, that fractals are consistently seen in altered states, and second, that the patterns thus seen may also represent real, though supernatural processes in the cosmos at large.

The fractal formations described in the Gaia Mythos (Episodes 9 - 10) are actual physical phenomena that occur spontaneously when an Aeon (a mass-free, high-porosity current of stellar plasma) pours into the dense fields of elementary matter. At first these "fractal seahorses" seem to be inanimate structures, rigid and almost crystalline in nature, but by the very fact that Sophia(Energy trapped in matter) beholds them, they become animated.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/WOMQJXFwFY8/hqdefault.jpg
                          Last edited by JohnHermes; 03-05-2019, 05:11 AM.

Comment