Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pentecost: The Parakletos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apostoli View Post
    It is rare I encounter someone at Theologyweb being online at the same time as me. It is 16:21 here in Sydney, so I'm guessing it is about midnight in your neck of the woods (?)
    As I write it is 23:35, but I am still very young, and it is not an unusual time for me to be awake.

I was just having a quick think on your post #12. As I said (#13) "We fall into agreement from vs16 = The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit." Something else occured to me: Imu, tradition has it that A.Paul wanted to extend his activities to Spain, and in that endevour he was hoping to get financial support from the Roman church. The Holy Spirit would have prevented him from staying in Rome (cp. Acts 16:6). So apart from a stay over in Rome he'd be on his way. Imu, the Roman church at the time was a Jamesian church, so A.Paul might have expected less than a warm welcome given his attitude to the Law, so he had to explain himself...
    You mean to say that James taught a more traditionally Jewish understanding of the Gospel, and so if Paul wanted support from the church in Rome then he'd need to address the concerns they'd have with him before getting to go to Spain? That is an insight I had not considered. If this summation of what you said is correct, I will be interested to check if the Scriptures have supporting evidence for this, and if so, it will be interesting to read Romans in that light. I can see the pastoral touch in many epistles well enough, but Romans almost reads like a work of theology for theologies sake.
    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
      You mean to say that James taught a more traditionally Jewish understanding of the Gospel, and so if Paul wanted support from the church in Rome then he'd need to address the concerns they'd have with him before getting to go to Spain? That is an insight I had not considered. If this summation of what you said is correct, I will be interested to check if the Scriptures have supporting evidence for this, and if so, it will be interesting to read Romans in that light. I can see the pastoral touch in many epistles well enough, but Romans almost reads like a work of theology for theologies sake.
      Have a read of Galatians 2 and A.Paul's confrontation with A.Peter. As I recall, the Jamesians were at Antioch and A.Peter was playing the Jew to please them. By A.Paul's account, A.Paul really got stuck into A.Peter.

As you probably know, A.Peter is accredited to have administered the Church in Rome, but according to tradition others had gone before him - presumably sent by the Jamesian Church in Jerusalem.

If you decide to investigate some really fascinating secular history: the early Christians were considered by the Romans to be just another Jewish sect and the Jews were from time to time persecuted in Rome and its environs. The Christians just got caught up in this anti-semiticism. Also, at one stage amonst the elite, it was the in-thing to "play" Jew...

ps: almost forgot. Read up on the First Council in Jerusalem where the Church became open to the Gentiles. See Acts...
      Last edited by apostoli; 08-08-2015, 02:27 AM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X