Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Notable Quote Derail: Joel Osteen Word of Faith.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notable Quote Derail: Joel Osteen Word of Faith.

Originally posted by Anastasia Dragule View Post
    For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.
    William Penn

You can change your world by changing your words... Remember, death and life are in the power of the tongue.
    Joel Osteen

Joel's statement is basically a rephrasing of the basic principle of James 3:5-6.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Joel's statement is basically a rephrasing of the basic principle of James 3:5-6.
      Isn't Joel Osteen one who leans towards to "Word of Faith" type stuff? He might be referencing James 3, but I'm thinking he might have meant something very different.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Isn't Joel Osteen one who leans towards to "Word of Faith" type stuff? He might be referencing James 3, but I'm thinking he might have meant something very different.
        Yes. His output is terrible but it doesn't mean everything he says is automatically wrong. He's not wrong about God's existence, for starters.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Yes. His output is terrible but it doesn't mean everything he says is automatically wrong. He's not wrong about God's existence, for starters.
          I think you misunderstand me. Definitions and understandings are important. That quote looks like Joel's attempt to support a "word of faith" understanding by rephrasing what's in James 3.

Oh, and Mormons and Muslims aren't wrong about God existing, but I'm certainly going to be wary of their definitions(like Muslims and "Messiah"), and usage of Biblical passages.

Comment

And a broken clock is still right twice a day, but it's pretty much unreliable for telling the actual truth about time.....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
              I think you misunderstand me. Definitions and understandings are important. That quote looks like Joel's attempt to support a "word of faith" understanding by rephrasing what's in James 3.

Oh, and Mormons and Muslims aren't wrong about God existing, but I'm certainly going to be wary of their definitions(like Muslims and "Messiah"), and usage of Biblical passages.
              That is absolutely what Osteen is saying.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yep, Joel is GREAT at taking a scripture out of context, or slightly misquoting it, to support his "everybody needs to love me and send me money / buy my books" theology.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

His name sounds like a toothpaste commercial!
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

I knew his Dad - he used to be a great guy, then kinda went off the reservation. Then, when John died, Mrs Osteen ordained and crowned Joel to take over the empire.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He looks like a used car salesman, and seems about as trustworthy

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        His name sounds like a toothpaste commercial!
                        His face looks like a toothpaste commercial.

Comment

My ex in-laws are quite obsessed with him. However after 2 failed self business startup attempts my ex father in law has had to go back to work because money cannot be spoken into existence and my ex mother in law still believes God will miraculously heal her son so that he will suddenly be able to function in society. Its really sad.
                          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I used to be on a music message board (incidentally, where I met Rayado, who brought me here), and there was a teenage girl on there who attended Osteen's church. She acted nauseatingly happy all the time - yet was very judgmental. Somebody started a thread asking what the best songs about death were (not in a morbid way, of course), and she reproached everybody for talking about death instead of life. It was pointed out that Shakespeare wrote quite a bit about death and negative emotions as well, and she just threw Shakespeare under the bus. I then pointed out that Lamentations was not exactly positive in nature either - and got no reply.

Comment

I actually know a girl whose home church is the Osteen church. I commented on a pic she posted once but never got a response.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X