Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Derail from Orthodox Anathema Service on Christology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    The Greek for only-begotten does not mean in Greek to be "begotton." It can and often is used of persons who were, but it, the Greek word translated sometimes as "only-begotten" does not contain the Greek which means "begotten."
    Yes, but when used in the context of "son" the meanings are synonymous - which is why, e.g., the KJV so translates it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Yes, but when used in the context of "son" the meanings are synonymous - which is why, e.g., the KJV so translates it.
      Are you a KJV-Onlyist? I use the KJV as my primary Word of God translation. It has always been my understanding only-begotten regarding the Son of God did not mean He was begotten to be eternally the Son of God. As God, the Son of God is the LORD God even as His Father is the LORD God. They are the one same God co-equal co-eternal. There was never in eternity before all ages any begetting of the Son of God by God His Father. They are two of the three Persons who are that One LORD God (Isaiah 43:10-11).
      Last edited by 37818; 04-23-2016, 03:23 PM.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

...There was never in eternity before all ages any begetting of the Son of God by God His Father. They are two of the three Persons who are that One LORD God (Isaiah 43:10-11).
        Hello.

I always thought that wording it that way ("the son was begotten before the ages...") does not intend to say that there was a time when the Son had not been begotten yet, as implying that he "changed" from not-begotten to begotten, not-Son to Son, before creation or whatever. Rather, I thought it implies he is always "begotten of" the Father, similar to how I continually beget my own speech... and since the Father has been around "since before all the ages, etc." then the Son was the begotten Son "since before all the ages, etc."

Is that a correct understanding of orthodoxy or am I missing something here?
        Last edited by Bisto; 04-23-2016, 06:59 PM.
        We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'
        - 2 Corinthians 5:20.
        In deviantArt: ll-bisto-ll.deviantart.com
        Christian art and more: Christians.deviantart.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Bisto View Post
          Hello.

I always thought that wording it that way ("the son was begotten before the ages...") does not intend to say that there was a time when the Son had not been not begotten yet, as implying that he "changed" from not-begotten to begotten, not-Son to Son, before creation or whatever. Rather, I thought it implies he is always "begotten of" the Father, similar to how I continually beget my own speech... and since the Father has been around "since before all the ages, etc." then the Son was the begotten Son "since before all the ages, etc."

Paul (the guy you're responding to) has a rather idiosyncratic view of the relationship between the Father and the Son prior to the Incarnation, which is (in large part) why he has the "non-traditional Christian" tag.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Are you a KJV-Onlyist?
            No. On the other hand, I am not anti-KJV either. It is (usually) a valid translation.
            I use the KJV as my primary Word of God translation.
            That's why, in particular, I mentioned it.

sigpic

Comment

Paul (the guy you're responding to) has a rather idiosyncratic view of the relationship between the Father and the Son prior to the Incarnation, which is (in large part) why he has the "non-traditional Christian" tag.
              That's what I've read, but I'd like to know where exactly the difference he holds is. From the posts I'm seeing here (though I didn't read the whole thread), I thought he might have an issue with something that isn't the usual deal ("talking past each other", I think this is called).
              We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore on Christ's behalf: 'Be reconciled to God!!'

Comment

Hello.

I always thought that wording it that way ("the son was begotten before the ages...") does not intend to say that there was a time when the Son had not been begotten yet, as implying that he "changed" from not-begotten to begotten, not-Son to Son, before creation or whatever. Rather, I thought it implies he is always "begotten of" the Father, similar to how I continually beget my own speech... and since the Father has been around "since before all the ages, etc." then the Son was the begotten Son "since before all the ages, etc."

Originally posted by Bisto View Post
                That's what I've read, but I'd like to know where exactly the difference he holds is. From the posts I'm seeing here (though I didn't read the whole thread), I thought he might have an issue with something that isn't the usual deal ("talking past each other", I think this is called).
                The terminology of "begotten of the Father before all ages" is problematic. I agree that the Son of God is "only-begotten of the Father before all ages." He did not become the only-begotten Son. He always was the only begotten Son.

The Greek translated "begotten" is never used in regard to the Son of God's preexistence. The Greek translated "only-begotten" means literally to "uniquely exist." The translation of that Greek into Latin as "only-begotten" caused the problem. And then that false notion that the Son of God was [eternally] begotten in some way gave rise to Ariius' notion that the "only-begotten" was created. So the Nicene Creed created to counter Arius' error need to add "begotten not made" since the phrase "begotten of the Father before all ages" was what is understood Arius believed.

What is wrong is making it an essential dogma of the Only Begotten as being "begotten of the Father before all ages." When effectively as understood is no different than saying the Only-Begotten was NOT begotten not made.

That use of the term of begotten to refer to the Only-Begotten's preexistence is not according to the Word of God. It is that simple.
                Last edited by 37818; 04-24-2016, 12:48 AM.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

The terminology of "begotten of the Father before all ages" is problematic. I agree that the Son of God is "only-begotten of the Father before all ages." He did not become the only-begotten Son. He always was the only begotten Son.

The Greek translated "begotten" is never used in regard to the Son of God's preexistence. The Greek translated "only-begotten" means literally to "uniquely exist." The translation of that Greek into Latin as "only-begotten" caused the problem. And then that false notion that the Son of God was [eternally] begotten in some way gave rise to Ariius' notion that the "only-begotten" was created. So the Nicene Creed created to counter Arius' error need to add "begotten not made" since the phrase "begotten of the Father before all ages" was what is understood Arius believed.

What is wrong is making it an essential dogma of the Only Begotten as being "begotten of the Father before all ages." When effectively as understood is no different than saying the Only-Begotten was NOT begotten not made.

That use of the term of begotten to refer to the Only-Begotten's preexistence is not according to the Word of God. It is that simple.
                  When reading "begotten of the Father before the ages", does Orthodoxy understand there was a previous "time"(?) when the Son was not begotten yet, as you seem to imply it does?

To my understanding, it doesn't, but I could be wrong.

I mean, if the Son is God's Word, Wisdom, etc. then it isn't contrived to imagine, at least by analogy, that his begetting is in a way similar to how I beget my own speech and thought by speaking and thinking, i.e. by being myself. For as long as I have been and until I am no more (til I sleep), my speech is thus begotten from me. The Father has always been, so it follows the One who is His radiance and wisdom "flows forth" from Him from eternity to eternity. If "begotten" attempts to describe that, why is it wrong?

Comment

When reading "begotten of the Father before the ages", does Orthodoxy understand there was a previous "time"(?) when the Son was not begotten yet, as you seem to imply it does?
                    No. There was no time "before" all ages. The ages being the beginning of time and eternity. The only-begotten Son was always the only-begotten Son. At issue is the concept of being "eternally" begotten in some way. The term "begotten" has the baggage of having a beginning. The concept of "eternally" begotten has no beginning. As far as I am concerned that is no different than saying not begotten - meaning no beginning.

To my understanding, it doesn't, but I could be wrong.
                    If you mean no "time" before to be a before. I agree.

I mean, if the Son is God's Word, Wisdom, etc.
                    You can believe and understand it that way if you want. The Son of God is the Word, yes. He the Son of God is the LORD God even as the Father is the LORD God. ". . . The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. . . ." -- Proverbs 8:22. The LORD being the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And that "me" being the spirit of wisdom in the Proverb. Wherein ". . . Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 1:24.

then it isn't contrived to imagine, at least by analogy, that his begetting is in a way similar to how I beget my own speech and thought by speaking and thinking, i.e. by being myself. For as long as I have been and until I am no more (til I sleep), my speech is thus begotten from me. The Father has always been, so it follows the One who is His radiance and wisdom "flows forth" from Him from eternity to eternity. If "begotten" attempts to describe that, why is it wrong?
                    That is fine. But you will not find that usage of "begotten" in the Word of God. But it was that usage which lead to the error of Arius to claim the Word was a creation. Which is of course a false view.

Comment

No. There was no time "before" all ages. The ages being the beginning of time and eternity. The only-begotten Son was always the only-begotten Son. At issue is the concept of being "eternally" begotten in some way. The term "begotten" has the baggage of having a beginning. The concept of "eternally" begotten has no beginning. As far as I am concerned that is no different than saying not begotten - meaning no beginning.

If you mean no "time" before to be a before. I agree.

You can believe and understand it that way if you want. The Son of God is the Word, yes. He the Son of God is the LORD God even as the Father is the LORD God. ". . . The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old. . . ." -- Proverbs 8:22. The LORD being the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. And that "me" being the spirit of wisdom in the Proverb. Wherein ". . . Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. . . ." -- 1 Corinthians 1:24.

That is fine. But you will not find that usage of "begotten" in the Word of God. But it was that usage which lead to the error of Arius to claim the Word was a creation. Which is of course a false view.
                      So the issue is whether "the Son had a beginning"? To my understanding it is correct to say the Father is the "beginning" of Christ as in being His source (that is the meaning of "God is the head of Christ" in 1 Cor. 11:3, right?), but that doesn't mean to say there was a point, chronological or otherwise, when the Son did not exist. Rather, we should be thinking in ontological terms, shouldn't we? As in, ontologically, the Son finds his beginning in the Father (always had, always does, always will)?

By the way, I haven't really looked it up, but I would think the "begotten before everything" bit might come from Prov. 8:24-25.

Comment

So the issue is whether "the Son had a beginning"?
                        Dr Walter Martin held the view that the second person of the Godhead has no beginning. But as the Son has a beginning.
                        Source: Kingdom of the Cults" from Chapter 5, Jehovah's Witnesses . . . by Dr Walter Martin

By insisting upon the unambiguous title of the pre-existent Christ, orthodox Christianity can successfully
                        undercut the emphasis Jehovah’s Witnesses place upon "monogenes," showing in contrast that "only
                        begotten" is a term best exemplified by His incarnational example; and further, that Jesus Christ is not
                        called by Scripture the "eternal Son," the error of ambiguity first arising from Origen under the title
                        "eternal generation," but rather He is the living Word of God (Hebrews 4:12), Creator of the Universe (2
                        Peter 3:5), Sustainer of all things (2 Peter 3:7), First Begotten from the dead (Acts 13:33), and our "Great
                        High Priest, who has passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God … who can be touched with the
                        feelings of our infirmities and who was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews
                        4:15). Let us fix these things in our minds, then:

(a) the doctrine of "eternal generation" or the eternal Sonship of Christ, which springs from the Roman
                        Catholic doctrine first conceived by Origen in ad. 230, is a theory that opened the door theologically to
                        misinterpretation by the Arian and Sabellian heresies, which today still plague the Christian church in the
                        realms of Christology.

(b) Scripture nowhere calls Jesus Christ the eternal Son of God, and the term Son is much more familiar
                        applied to Him in His incarnation.

(c) The term "Son" itself is a functional term, as is the term "Father," and has meaning only by analogy to
                        the fathers and sons we see in the created world. The term "Father," incidentally, never carries the
                        descriptive adjective "eternal" in Scripture; as a matter of fact, only the Spirit is called eternal 61 ("The
                        eternal Spirit"—Hebrews 9:14), emphasising the fact that the words Father and Son are purely functional,
                        as previously stated.

(d) Many heresies have seized upon the confusion created by the illogical "eternal Sonship" or "eternal
                        generation" misunderstandings of the theory as it is accepted in Roman Catholicism and Eastern
                        Orthodoxy.

(e) Finally, there cannot be any such thing as eternal Sonship, if by eternal Sonship is meant that the
                        second person of the Trinity is both created and eternal in the same way and the same manner. This would
                        be a logical contradiction of terminology due to the fact that the word "Son" in such a sense predicates
                        time and the involvement of creativity. Christ, the Scripture tells us, as the Logos, is timeless—the Word
                        was in the beginning, not the Son!

The Lord Jesus Christ, true God and true man, is now and for all eternity Son of God and Son of Man;
                        therefore, in this sense there is no contradiction in calling him the eternal Son. But to be biblical in the
                        true sense of the term we must be willing to admit that He was known prior to His incarnation as the
                        eternal Word, and knowledge of this fact cuts across the very basic groundwork and foundation of the
                        Arian system of theology espoused by Jehovah’s Witnesses. For if "only begotten" means "unique" or
                        "only one of its kind," there cannot be any ground for rendering it "only generated" as Jehovah’s Witnesses often attempt to do in a vain attempt to rob Christ of His deity.

© Copyright Original Source

To my understanding it is correct to say the Father is the "beginning" of Christ as in being His source (that is the meaning of "God is the head of Christ" in 1 Cor. 11:3, right?), but that doesn't mean to say there was a point, chronological or otherwise, when the Son did not exist. Rather, we should be thinking in ontological terms, shouldn't we? As in, ontologically, the Son finds his beginning in the Father (always had, always does, always will)?
                        That the Son proceeds from the Father is not at issue. That the Son of God always was the Son is at issue.

By the way, I haven't really looked it up, but I would think the "begotten before everything" bit might come from Prov. 8:24-25.
                        Yeah. I do not agree, since it is my understanding the passage refers to the [in the Hebrew the female] spirit of wisdom, not the LORD God whom the Son of God also is (Proverbs 8:22; John 8:24).
                        Last edited by 37818; 04-24-2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Dr Walter Martin held the view that the second person of the Godhead has no beginning. But as the Son has a beginning.
                          Source: Kingdom of the Cults" from Chapter 5, Jehovah's Witnesses . . . by Dr Walter Martin

By insisting upon the unambiguous title of the pre-existent Christ, orthodox Christianity can successfully
                          undercut the emphasis Jehovah’s Witnesses place upon "monogenes," showing in contrast that "only
                          begotten" is a term best exemplified by His incarnational example; and further, that Jesus Christ is not
                          called by Scripture the "eternal Son," the error of ambiguity first arising from Origen under the title
                          "eternal generation," but rather He is the living Word of God (Hebrews 4:12), Creator of the Universe (2
                          Peter 3:5), Sustainer of all things (2 Peter 3:7), First Begotten from the dead (Acts 13:33), and our "Great
                          High Priest, who has passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God … who can be touched with the
                          feelings of our infirmities and who was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin" (Hebrews
                          4:15). Let us fix these things in our minds, then:

(a) the doctrine of "eternal generation" or the eternal Sonship of Christ, which springs from the Roman
                          Catholic doctrine first conceived by Origen in ad. 230, is a theory that opened the door theologically to
                          misinterpretation by the Arian and Sabellian heresies, which today still plague the Christian church in the
                          realms of Christology.

(b) Scripture nowhere calls Jesus Christ the eternal Son of God, and the term Son is much more familiar
                          applied to Him in His incarnation.

(c) The term "Son" itself is a functional term, as is the term "Father," and has meaning only by analogy to
                          the fathers and sons we see in the created world. The term "Father," incidentally, never carries the
                          descriptive adjective "eternal" in Scripture; as a matter of fact, only the Spirit is called eternal 61 ("The
                          eternal Spirit"—Hebrews 9:14), emphasising the fact that the words Father and Son are purely functional,
                          as previously stated.

(d) Many heresies have seized upon the confusion created by the illogical "eternal Sonship" or "eternal
                          generation" misunderstandings of the theory as it is accepted in Roman Catholicism and Eastern
                          Orthodoxy.

(e) Finally, there cannot be any such thing as eternal Sonship, if by eternal Sonship is meant that the
                          second person of the Trinity is both created and eternal in the same way and the same manner. This would
                          be a logical contradiction of terminology due to the fact that the word "Son" in such a sense predicates
                          time and the involvement of creativity. Christ, the Scripture tells us, as the Logos, is timeless—the Word
                          was in the beginning, not the Son!

The Lord Jesus Christ, true God and true man, is now and for all eternity Son of God and Son of Man;
                          therefore, in this sense there is no contradiction in calling him the eternal Son. But to be biblical in the
                          true sense of the term we must be willing to admit that He was known prior to His incarnation as the
                          eternal Word, and knowledge of this fact cuts across the very basic groundwork and foundation of the
                          Arian system of theology espoused by Jehovah’s Witnesses. For if "only begotten" means "unique" or
                          "only one of its kind," there cannot be any ground for rendering it "only generated" as Jehovah’s Witnesses often attempt to do in a vain attempt to rob Christ of His deity.

© Copyright Original Source

That the Son proceeds from the Father is not at issue. That the Son of God always was the Son is at issue.

Yeah. I do not agree, since it is my understanding the passage refers to the [in the Hebrew the female] spirit of wisdom, not the LORD God whom the Son of God also is (Proverbs 8:22; John 8:24).
                          In my version of Walter Martin's The Kingdom of the Cults, the chapter on Jehovah's Witnesses is Chapter 4, not 5, and is 89 pages long, to boot. Please give a more accurate, and pinpoint, citation. Thanks. I have no interest in reading nearly 100 pages in order to verify it.

sigpic

Comment

In my version of Walter Martin's The Kingdom of the Cults, the chapter on Jehovah's Witnesses is Chapter 4, not 5, and is 89 pages long, to boot. Please give a more accurate, and pinpoint, citation. Thanks. I have no interest in reading nearly 100 pages in order to verify it.
                            I have 3 editions 1965, 1997 and a current edition [not handy so I used the PDF]. The CD that came with the 1997 edition was busted. I found this copy of it here.

The page in this PDF edition was 325.

I came to disagree on Dr Martin's view regarding "eternal Sonship" by reason of John 1:14 and 1 John 4:9 the implication being that the Only-Begotten preexisted as such. (Also Isaiah 9:6 in conjunction with John 1:18 and John 14:6, 9. The Son not being the Father but fully representing Him.)

Comment

• But isn't the love relationship between the Father and the Son best described as such filial relationship? I think the Word, Wisdom, etc. are used more to describe God's relationship with the created order, while Jesus used the filial language firstly to describe his relationship with the Father and secondarily to share that quality of relationship with God's covenant people.

Like someone said in the thread on the importance of the Trinity doctrine to understand and know God, I think this has to do with the fact that God is love -- and he was love before creating anything, and this eternal love has always been the love between Father and Son. Otherwise, wouldn't that be a fundamental change in God's nature, if he didn't love as a Father "before the ages"?

By the way, doesn't "Eternal Father" show up somewhere in Isaiah?

Comment

• But isn't the love relationship between the Father and the Son best described as such filial relationship? I think the Word, Wisdom, etc. are used more to describe God's relationship with the created order, while Jesus used the filial language firstly to describe his relationship with the Father and secondarily to share that quality of relationship with God's covenant people.

Like someone said in the thread on the importance of the Trinity doctrine to understand and know God, I think this has to do with the fact that God is love -- and he was love before creating anything, and this eternal love has always been the love between Father and Son. Otherwise, wouldn't that be a fundamental change in God's nature, if he didn't love as a Father "before the ages"?

Edit: here's the quote.
                                Originally posted by flowers92 View Post
                                Well if God is not triune, then love is a created thing & not a characteristic of God. In eternity past the Father, Son, Holy Spirit always loved each other. Love is a characteristic of God, like everything else that is good.

This must be the case if God is love, because God does not change.
                                Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8

And again, if God is not triune. He existed in a state where he did not love & changed when he created things.
                                By the way, doesn't "Eternal Father" show up somewhere in Isaiah?

Comment