Announcement

Collapse

Unorthodox Theology 201 Guidelines

Theists only.

This forum area is primarily for persons who would identify themselves as Christians whether or not their theology is recognized within the mainstream or as orthodox though other theists may participate with moderator permission. Therefore those that would be restricted from posting in Christianity 201 due to a disagreement with the enumerated doctrines, ie the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment may freely post here on any theological subject matter. In this case "unorthodox" is used in the strict sense of a person who denies what has been declared as universal essentials of the historic Christian faith. Examples would be adherents to Oneness, Full Preterists, Unitarian Universalist Christians, Gnostics, Liberal Christianity, Christian Science to name a few.

The second purpose will be for threads on subjects, which although the thread starter has no issue with the above doctrines, the subject matter is so very outside the bounds of normative Christian doctrine totally within the leadership's discretion that it is placed here. In so doing, no judgment or offense is intended to be placed on the belief of said person in the above-doctrines. In this case "unorthodox" is used in a much looser sense of "outside the norms" - Examples of such threads would be pro-polygamy, pro-drug use, proponents of gay Christian churches, proponents of abortion.

The third purpose is for persons who wish to have input from any and all who would claim the title of Christian even on subjects that would be considered "orthodox."

The philosophy behind this area was to recognize that there are persons who would identify themselves as Christian and thus seem out of place in the Comparative Religions Forum, but yet in keeping with our committment here to certain basic core Christian doctrines. Also, it allows threads to be started by those who would want to still be identified as Christian with a particular belief that while not denying an essential is of such a nature that the discussion on that issue belongs in this section or for threads by persons who wish such a non-restricted discussion.


Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Aliens = angels & demons?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Aliens = angels & demons?

    [ATTACH=CONFIG]130[/ATTACH] The movie has generated enormous interest because it seems, some say, to be based on the Book of Ezekiel, and the plot fulfills prophecies about the end of the world, visitation by aliens, wheels with wheels, and so on. I'm not as expert on Ezekiel as I should be, but I can see the parallels -- especially since it has been pointed out to me that the figures at the end might be angels, might be aliens, or might be one resembling the other.

    -"Knowing" movie review by Roger Ebert.
    Questions for discussion: since angels could take human form such as with the destruction of Sodom, is it possible some could live as ETs in physical form flying UFOs with advanced technology, or living on other planets? When Satan and angels were cast from Heaven, could they have taken on a physical form? Conversely, could what some people think are flying ships actually spirit beings?

    Related question, does the Bible and God's Plan in it have any room for aliens and beings not living on earth? Or are we it?

    Attached Files

  • #2
    All of these things are POSSIBLE, yes. But whether these things are PROBABLE might be a different story.

    Comment


    • #3
      The lack of any evidence of aliens nor alien technology makes any such claims anecdotal at best, and most likely meaningless.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

      go with the flow the river knows . . .

      Frank

      I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by iTeluog View Post
        All of these things are POSSIBLE, yes. But whether these things are PROBABLE might be a different story.
        That's my position, possible that angels could be considered alien life forms, but who knows. I suppose this thread could also discuss ancient alien theories, and ideas that ancient gods like Horus depicted as men/beasts may have been like cherubim of Ezekiel depicted as men/beasts, either angels misunderstood to be gods or demons claiming to be gods.

        Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        The lack of any evidence of aliens nor alien technology makes any such claims anecdotal at best, and most likely meaningless.
        For some Christians/theists maybe not meaningless due to lack of evidence since the premise already assumes belief in angels/demons.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm an alien agnostic.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            The lack of any evidence of aliens nor alien technology makes any such claims anecdotal at best, and most likely meaningless.
            And the fact that any alien life would have to be more or less the same age as earth life. Until third generation stars there would not be enough heavy elements to support life, let alone get it started.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              And the fact that any alien life would have to be more or less the same age as earth life. Until third generation stars there would not be enough heavy elements to support life, let alone get it started.
              Enter my belief that at least some cherubim including the Serpent were created as helpers for Adam in Genesis 2, that those creatures are not the same as animals other humans evolved from in Genesis 1. So these at least would be about the same age in my view. Again not necessarily arguing that they are aliens, but giving a theist view that doesn't slam the door on the discussion.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                That's my position, possible that angels could be considered alien life forms, but who knows.
                Presuming angels exist, they would be aliens the same way Lovecraftian deities are aliens -- ie. extradimensional entities that exist beyond the conventional universe, and as such, beyond human comprehension -- not aliens like E.T., who have corporeal forms and live on other planets.
                "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

                — Alfred North Whitehead

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Duragizer View Post
                  Presuming angels exist, they would be aliens the same way Lovecraftian deities are aliens -- ie. extradimensional entities that exist beyond the conventional universe, and as such, beyond human comprehension -- not aliens like E.T., who have corporeal forms and live on other planets.
                  Could they take on material form like angels in Sodom, or is it your position they weren't really flesh? How about those who took wives in Noah's time, were they angels in flesh or regular men (e.g. Sons of Seth)?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Why would angels take on the form of 4 foot tall gray/green beings with large heads and huge funny shaped eyes, and why would they need to fly around in spaceships? On top of that, I don't think angels can do anything without God's permission. And what's up with the anal probing obsession? Short answer? No aliens.
                    Last edited by ikaika777; 01-27-2014, 08:59 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
                      Why would angels take on the form of 4 foot tall gray/green beings with large heads and huge funny shaped eyes, and why would they need to fly around in spaceships?
                      I've seen some suggest that's what Satan/demons look like when cast out of Heaven, they are no longer immortal spirit, but made mortal flesh as a punishment. Others suggest that Satan wants to deceive humans into believing that demons are aliens with advanced technology and ability to bring end of war/pollution/etc. to the earth so that humans will look to them as gods, instead of God.

                      Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
                      On top of that, I don't think angels can do anything without God's permission.
                      The premise suggests God allows it as He may have allowed angels to take wives in Noah's time, if they in fact were angels in flesh.

                      Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
                      And what's up with the anal probing obsession?
                      Maybe they are gay demons.

                      gaydemons.jpg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                        I've seen some suggest that's what Satan/demons look like when cast out of Heaven, they are no longer immortal spirit, but made mortal flesh as a punishment. Others suggest that Satan wants to deceive humans into believing that demons are aliens with advanced technology and ability to bring end of war/pollution/etc. to the earth so that humans will look to them as gods, instead of God.

                        They don't have mortal flesh or else they wouldn't be in the spirit realm doing "spiritual warfare".




                        Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                        The premise suggests God allows it as He may have allowed angels to take wives in Noah's time, if they in fact were angels in flesh.

                        He did ask permission to attack Job. We know angels don't marry. Matthew 22:30 (NASB)
                        "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

                        So, I don't believe the Nephlim were fallen angels who had sex with humans.






                        Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                        Maybe they are gay demons.

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]142[/ATTACH]

                        LOL! Could be.
                        Last edited by ikaika777; 01-28-2014, 05:31 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ikaika777 View Post
                          They don't have mortal flesh or else they wouldn't be in the spirit realm doing "spiritual warfare".

                          He did ask permission to attack Job. We know angels don't marry. Matthew 22:30 (NASB)
                          "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

                          So, I don't believe the Nephlim were fallen angels who had sex with humans.

                          LOL! Could be.
                          Do you believe those in Noah's time were humans, like Sons of Seth? What about angels of Sodom, were they real flesh or more like illusion of flesh?

                          What do you make of this verse, is it talking about something other than Noah's time?

                          Jude 1:6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            As far as demons appearing as aliens, I'm agnostic about it. Maybe.

                            As far as other aliens in the universe, I can't think of anything in the Bible that would preclude it. There might be. Then again, if there are, I'm pretty darn sure that they don't visit us, and that we'll never know about them (or them us).
                            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JohnnyP View Post
                              Could they take on material form like angels in Sodom, or is it your position they weren't really flesh? How about those who took wives in Noah's time, were they angels in flesh or regular men (e.g. Sons of Seth)?
                              I believe that if angels exist, they can probably assume forms as a means of interacting with lesser beings -- such as humans -- on this mundane plane of existence, but they wouldn't be composed of anything approximating flesh as we know it, and I doubt they'd be interested in taking on human wives or breeding with them (that'd be like a human wanting to marry and start a family with an amoeba).
                              "When the Western world accepted Christianity, Caesar conquered; and the received text of Western theology was edited by his lawyers…. The brief Galilean vision of humility flickered throughout the ages, uncertainly…. But the deeper idolatry, of the fashioning of God in the image of the Egyptian, Persian, and Roman imperial rulers, was retained. The Church gave unto God the attributes which belonged exclusively to Caesar."

                              — Alfred North Whitehead

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X